“Barefoot EcoConscious DOGFRIENDLY Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shelter from the Storm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dominical
Shelter from the Storm
You added Shelter from the Storm to your Saves list
San Martin Sur, Dominical 80000, Costa Rica   |
Haleiwa, Hawaii
“Barefoot EcoConscious DOGFRIENDLY Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I wandered into the fabulous Shelter from the Storm because I was curious as to what is at the end of the beautifully lit driveway in the middle of nowhere jungle where jasmine and ylang ylang beckon a welcome. WOW I was shocked in awe that folks could create such exquisite surroundings in the middle of a jungle. It is like four stars with four legged friends all around. Case in point, when I lost my dear best friend Flash, SFTS proprietor Daryl took action to help find my dog in under an hour, 8 kilometers away in the actual town of Dominical. I have been to Costa Rica 5 times, each time considered buying property here but only now would I pull the trigger because of having a neighbors like Daryl and Donna and the best place in entire Costa Rica down the street. That says a lot coming from me - in the top 3% of reviewers on Trip Advisor. Anyone who cares as much about trees and animals as they do will go out of their way to make sure the humans are well looked after too!!

Room Tip: In this case that is an oxymoron because all quarters are waaaaaaay above par!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Peru IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed at the Shelter from the storm for eight nights in Feb/March 2014.
It was our first time visiting Costa Rica.
All we can say about Shelter from the storm is WOW! What a incredible place!
Donna and Daryl have really created a special place to stay while in the Dominical area.
There isn't a detail that is overlooked.
From the time we booked our trip with them, until the time we left, Donna and Daryl were so helpful in suggesting things like car rental, grocery stores, beaches, and things to see and do.
It was like staying at our own private place, almost like staying at a relatives private resort!
If you are reading these reviews in search of a place to stay in the Dominical area...Look no further! SFTS equals perfection!!
In fact, after returning home and explaining to our friends and family the details of our trip, we suggest to them that they have to add SFTS to their bucket list, and experience the place for themselves.
We will definitely be returning there again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Shelter From the Storm was on our bucket list for a while, and we finally got a chance to stay there on a last minute trip. Daryl and Donna have really put a lot of love in supplying the villas with everything you could possible need ---from good CD's to Costa Rican snacks and coffee. They apologized for not having more since they didn't know we were coming. The highlight of our short stay was conversations with Daryl at the bar in the rancho with popcorn and his homemade margaritas made with fresh limes from his lime tree. The rancho by the pool had a complete honor bar and a gas grill if you want to cook out. Donna was so helpful recommending restaurants and helping with reservations. Daryl even gave us directions to visit his secret beach, and called us on the phone when a troop of monkeys came through. We loved the Monkey House---especially the balcony where we spent so much time enjoying the jungle sounds. We love exploring the beaches and restaurants of the Uvita area, and we will come back to Shelter From the Storm.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed at Shelter from the Storm with my partner in November this year. We arrived as travellers with no connections in Costa Rica, and left with two new friends. Donna and Daryl were the most wonderful, friendly, funny hosts. We can't wait to visit again, and to take our other friends along with us. If you're looking for somewhere to stay around Dominical, this place should be your number one choice.

Room Tip: We stayed in the monkey house... private and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Lenexa, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the first week of June 2013. The day we arrived in San Jose the sun was shining and the drive to Shelter from the Storm was a great way to start our trip. Donna and Daryl had provided us with great directions, we had no trouble finding their wonderful place. Upon arrival they were both out front and helped us into our condo. The place is sooo pretty and the grounds, pool, flowers, everything are better than I could begin to describe!!! Donna had left us eggs, bacon, etc. in the fridge. Such a nice touch. Our first night we checked out the grounds and had popcorn and drinks by the pool. The week was great, Donna made us all of our reservations for all the activities that we wanted to do. Prices are very good when compared to the US tour prices and the guides were all so informative. We had one of the best weeks of vacation ever and it was mainly because of Donna and Daryl's beautiful place!!!! And the best part of the trip were all the monkeys we saw everywhere we went. I took 100's of pics of those cuties!~ and the monkeys in the parks let you take pics from just a foot or so away!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was our second trip to Costa Rica and our first to the Dominical area. After staying at SFTS hopefully it will not be the last. For 2 couples traveling together, we rented Villa Las Rocas ( 2 separate units in the same building) and could not have been happier. Each unit allowed for separate entrances, sleeping and patio, but the upper unit with full kitchen allowed us to cook and eat together and share the magnificent views. There are stairs leading to these villas;inquire about the other rentals if this is a problem.

I cannot add to what has already been written ; this is a place you must go to comprehend the beauty and magic of the area. I truly fell in love with my surroundings. We were there 4 nights, I would not do any less. There is ample to see and visit; beaches, horseback ride to the falls, restaurants, watch surfers, or best of all, just "be" at SFTS.

Donna and Daryl are the ultimate hosts and upon arrival we were treated like family. Donna stocked our fridge with breakfast staples, pineapple, cookies, delicious bread, jam, juice and milk. We savored it all the first morning we awoke to the sun rising and pouring in through our bedroom window. Interestingly, you will also see the sun set when you walk up to the clearing each evening! Daryl welcomed us with margaritas and popcorn after helping us unload luggage and giving us a quick overview of the villas. The rancho with honor bar and the pool area are so welcoming and the view from the pool patio so beautiful. These hosts will make tour arrangements ,offer suggestions on stores, restaurants etc. They are a wealth of info. on the area and most accommodating.

So clean, so beautifully landscaped, well furnished, comfortable, safe... did I mention monkeys, sloths, hummingbirds, and toucans in full view ! You need a 4 wheel drive to get to SFTS but I suggest a 4 wheel if you plan to do any exploring in Costa Rica.

Thank you for such incredible memories...we would love a return visit ! GO GREEN (MSU) !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I traveled to Costa Rica for the first time in October 2013, and stayed at Shelter from the Storm (SFTS) for 6 days towards the end of my 3-week trip. I had reservations elsewhere in the Dominical area, but a fellow traveler at a resort earlier in my trip recommended that I stay at SFTS when I got to the Pacific coast. Her recommendation of SFTS was so positive and so strong, that I almost had no choice but to check it out, and I'm SO glad I did.

I was able to change my reservations to SFTS with only a couple days notice, and Donna and Daryl were so accommodating via email ahead of time. The information they provided me before I arrived (and after I arrived as well) was comprehensive, with almost unlimited day trip suggestions and contact information for everything I needed. Meeting Donna and Daryl in person was even better than advertised, if that's even possible...they are the most real people I've ever met, and the hospitality was first class in all aspects. And if Daryl offers to make you some of his "circus popcorn" don't even think of passing it up...it really is the best popcorn I've ever tasted and was a great treat.

I stayed in the Monkey House, which was an incredible experience. There really is a "monkey highway" right outside the Monkey House villa, with the white-face monkeys swinging through the trees every morning and evening. The howler monkeys were also around, and I loved hearing their unique sounds, all while sitting out on the balcony enjoying the Pacific ocean air. I came to SFTS looking for some tranquility and good hiking opportunities, having done a lot of the more tourist-centric activities earlier in my trip. SFTS did not disappoint at all in either aspect, and Donna and Daryl were more than accommodating to ensure my stay was everything I wanted it to be.

I could write a book about all the great attributes of SFTS and Donna and Daryl as hosts, but will end this review by just saying: "Go stay at SFTS, you will not be disappointed!" When I return to Costa Rica again, I will definitely include SFTS on my itinerary.

Room Tip: For best daily views of the monkeys, definitely stay in the Monkey House villa. All other villas lo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Shelter from the Storm? Share your experiences!