“Loved it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Arena y Sol

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dominical
Hotel Arena y Sol
500 north from the soccer field, Dominical, Costa Rica   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #10 of 10 hotels in Dominical
Round Top, New York, United States
“Loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Loved location. Staff was accommodating. Room was clean. Great access to fresh smoothies anytime. It is very deceiving from the outside. Didn't look like much, but ended up being very happy there. I plan to go back very soon.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Ought where to start???
1- advertised pool had no water.
2- first room we were offered had cockroach running around shower.
3- comuters charge by the minute.
4- requested a discount since we SERIOUSLY picked this hotel because I had a pool online are the guy at the desk simply laughed at us.
5- woke before 6 am to a parrot screeching for over 20 minutes that they keep caged in the lobby that no one was attempting to silence- infact a child seemed to be instigating it.

I haven't yet attempted the breakfast but I expect it will be just as amazing as the rest of our stay. This is by far the most we have had to pay so far on our 3 week trip and it's is the worst place I've stayed yet. I only hope I can find a better hotel tonight and dO not leave with this horrible impression of Dominical.

• Stayed May 2012
Sherwood Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I did not stay here, only waited 6 hours for transportation that never arrived. But, and this is important, the gentleman managing the desk went out of his way to help me resolve my dilemma. Which to me means he is extremely conscious of his clients well being. If I am ever back in Dominical, I will stay at Arena y Sol hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

We stayed at the Arena y Sol hostel last night, and left before our second night. The sheets were disgusting in the room, the shower ran cold water at a low enough pressure it would barely rinse soap off. The worst part of the experience was the insane number of mosquitoes in the room at night! We did not leave our door open during the day, but the mosquitoes found their way in, and literally assaulted us all night. My wife and I stayed up most of the night scratching away. When we decided that we didn't want to suffer through another night in the disgusting room, the hostel said they could not refund us back the night we weren't staying there. I guess they needed to make all the money they could off of us because we were their ONLY customer. This was the dirtiest, least social, and inhabitable hostel we have stayed at in Costa Rica. We will not be coming back, and hope others read this review and the other negative ones before deciding to pinch a couple pennies to stay here over another hostel in the area.

P.S. they advertise their pool, but it was out of commission and looked like the water had been in there for quite some time. They offer free wi-fi if you have your own computer, but be prepared to pay by the minute if you want to use their bank of computers they have at the hostel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Taganga, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Stayed one night only, the staff and owner where on the premises and all of them are very friendly, helpful and welcoming. The Hotel is very clean but everything is in need of a major refurbishment, the whole place doesn't look bad but hasn't been updated for longtime and it is noticeable. The pool was dry / empty and the inhouse restaurant serves very good local and affordable food. I think the restaurant is the best part of the Hotel 9seen that the pool was dry/empty). Fast WiFi

Room Tip: the US$30/night rooms are definitely the choice
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Geman traveller
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

I stayed at hotel Arena y Sol for one night while travelling along the Costa Rican coast. I had chosen the hotel based on price and it's appearance on their website. The reality turned out to be quite disappointing. My room was a tiny space, barely larger than the bed in it. It had a small tv and a very noisy A/C unit. Bathroom was very small, too...and shower had only cold water. However, WiFi Internet was very fast. The water in the hotel pool was dirty. There is a restaurant, but I did not see anybody eat there. There is also a small market on the grounds of the hotel. That is where I bought my food and drinks. Generally I am not picky about hotels, but in this case I'd rather have spent 10$ more for a nicer and bigger room.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
SoCal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

I planned to stay here for a night or two and ended up staying for a week. It's right on the "main drag" across from the bus stop so it's very convenient for day trips. There is internet service (6 or 7) computers and free wireless and air conditioning/TV/Phone in the rooms(local calls were free...my phone was broken, but I was allowed access to another from an empty room) There is an attached restaurant and supermarket, and coffee was ready every morning at 5 am when I woke up. The employees are great. Ask for low season rates...if you are on a budget (or not) you cant go wrong with this place. All is pura vida here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Arena y Sol? Share your experiences!