“Was better than we had expected!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tortilla Flats

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dominical
Tortilla Flats
You added Tortilla Flats to your Saves list
Dominical, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Dominical
Seattle, WA
“Was better than we had expected!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

I am also confused by the negative reviews of TF.

Dominical was our last stop on our 3 week adventure. We got off an 8 hour travel day (crossed over from Panama), and showed up to Tortilla Flats hoping for the best; found a blurb from an old Frommer's. The office was closed and locked. While there were no directions....I had the COMMON SENSE to walk over and ask the bartender. Sure enough, Sean had the very last room key and tossed it to me so that I could check out the room. After doing so, I tossed him my credit card and stayed for three days.

After traveling CR and Panama, I have to say that it was the best value for $30. The room looked like it had a recent remodel (the bathroom was pretty awesome compared to where we had stayed at previously), had a wide bed with provided sheets and we were the closest room to the beach and restaurant. While I worried about the noise (the bar is pretty loud), the place closes at 9pm - so there was no issue with getting to sleep. They do not provide towels so bring your own.

You wake up and you're on the beach for $30. Surf in the morning, skate on the pipe in the afternoon. Why anybody would have complaints is beyond me.....oh wait, except for Maggie. She's the local pup and she likes to bark late at night for no apparent reason. But when you get to see Maggie's happy face at breakfast the next day, you pretty much forget that you were cursing her name 8 hours before.

The location is wonderful. Great, biologically diverse, beach, lots of vendors, convenience stores and restaurants all within a very short walking distance. I didn't partake but there is really cheap surfing and snorkeling teachers everywhere! All you have to do is ask. Was warned by a local that the food was expensive but it was actually pretty decent for the food you get. No joke, we had the BEST french toast we have ever had. Also, buy a tequila shot for Caroline. She's pretty awesome!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

I am getting a good laugh at some of the reviews for this place by people who expected luxury for $25 a night. Lets make something perfectly clear: It is a shabby, beach motel in a scruffy surfer town with tons of character and lots of interesting locals and tourists. Period.

Stayed here for a week in October to surf Dominical and had a great time. The bar is lively with good tunes and good food. Try the chicken Cordon Bleu, its not on the menu but is available and is one of the best chicken dishes I have ever had. The sandwiches and Calamari are excellent too. Rooms are sparse and a bit shabby but you really get that surfer shack feel and we were so tired from riding the waves that we passed right out anyways so sleep was not an issue. The hammock outside the room was cool and the skateboard half pipe is awesome.

The location was amazing, right on Dominical beach. The beach is hopping all day with lots of vendors, surfers and happy, smiling people and the professional massage I got under a palm tree was one of the best experiences of the trip. Thanks Cali! At night we had fires on the beach with new friends and drank beer and told stories under the stars. A great time.

Oh and the person who complained about seeing bugs in their room: Hello McFly?!, Costa Rica is one of the most biologically dense places in the world there are bugs everywhere! Maybe you should have stayed at home. LOL!

Perfect for a budget, party, surf week with friends. Not so good for people who like the boring old Best Western or Holiday Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Based on a recommendation and our travel budget, we reserved two nights. After arriving in torrential rains, we waited for nearly ten minutes outside of the office (no sign with instructions) before another traveler provided direction. In the ground level room we found small insects on the pillow, no towels, and a flooded and moldy shower. Even on a good day, this should only be considered as extremely basic accommodations. For me, I would rather camp in a sleeping bag and tent. It is certainly not recommended for couples or anyone else with any reasonable expectations. We also met another unsatisfied customer (solo traveler) who spent the night and validated our experience.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

I've seen some reviews here that don't really make sense to me. It's affordable, clean, on the beach, and one of the few really fun places to be in the area. I stayed next door for my first night based on a lonely planet review but it was pretty disgusting so I relocated to the TF for my next couple of nights. Sure, it was hot during that time of year, but you have the option to spring for a room with AC or for one of the rooms on the lower level...the heat obviously rises but hey...it's Southern Costa Rica in summer...it's gonna be hot everywhere. The Flats are in a prime spot...right on the beach and they have one of the few fun bars/restaurants in the area...really convenient. Good times. I would go back for sure. I miss Dominical...and hey...walk up the road and around the corner to the local Dive shop...look for Michael the Canadian and get certified! Really well done and at a great price!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
studenttravel_10
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

Just got back from a trip with 7 friends and we stayed a week at Tortilla Flats- the rooms were $25/night which came out to $40 for each of us for the week!!!
It was hot yes, and air conditioning was not available, but that is about the only complaint.

You walk outside your door and you are on the beach. The whole town is walkable from there. There is very good priced restaurant and beer right there. Everyone that we came across and met was kind and hospitable. The manager helped us with everything to booking tours to advice on the town. The place was very well kept and cleaned daily. Nicer than any hostels. Definitely the place to stay if you are trying to travel cheaply!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

Perfect place to eat breakfast, drink beers and meet locals. The staff was amazing, helpful and fast. Beers are quick, everything is SO clean, food (nachos, fish, and pasta's) is top notch, and location location location. All the great breaks are right outside. It's a party local, but what else do you want in paradise? Perfect!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Everett, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

We did not stay at the hotel but only ate at the Tortilla Flats restaurant. The food was fine but nothing spectacular. The cuisine looked like it catered to the tourists more than anything so not what I was hoping for - local authentic Costa Rican food. One dish that we did have that was good was the nachos. Location is right on the beach & it was beautiful that day. The service was good and helpful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Tortilla Flats? Share your experiences!