“You Cannot Go Wrong With This Place!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tortilla Flats

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dominical
Tortilla Flats
Dominical, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 11 hotels in Dominical
“You Cannot Go Wrong With This Place!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011 via mobile

All the dishes we ate at this place were amazing! We even took a detour from our trip to eat there again. I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a nice casual place with EXCELLENT fresh seafood.

• Stayed May 2011

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Breckenridge, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

Review
I've been to Costa Rica a few times before. I've always stayed in budget to mid range type hotels. I'm not really a 5 star type of traveler. Maybe, once I hit my 30's, my tastes and standards have changed, maybe not. Who knows? All I know, is that the one night I stayed at Tortilla Flats was gross, disgusting and terrible.

We booked two rooms for our group of 2 couples. We arrived around 2 pm in the afternoon. We were ok with the appearance of the hotel and pleasantly pleased with the bar/restaurant next door. You can't beat the location of the hotel, it's right on the beach. That is where the pluses end. Our room (Room 21) had mold all over the shower floor. It was so gross you had to wear your flip flops in the bathroom. The toilet wobbled and felt like it was going to topple over. The sink was dirty and had a giant hair ball in it.

It rained in the afternoon and the entire bathroom flooded. The roof had several pin holes in it and the water just POURED all over the floor, into the trash, it ruined the toilet paper. The hotel does not provide towels so we had no way to mop up the mess on the moldy floor without ruining our towels. The bar tender said he was too busy to help us and didn't have a mop.

I was a little sketched out by the bedding. I ended up sleeping in my sleep sack (It was left in my back pack from a recent camping trip). I found a giant cockroach looking bug in the bathroom in the morning. When I attemped to shower, there were loose electical wires hanging from the shower head. I wondered if I would make it out of there alive...

The next morning, we told the girl at the reception we were cancelling our reservation for the rest of the week. She, fortunalty, did not give us any problems. We went to Domicolos and stayed there for the rest of our trip.

Domicolos provides breakfast with its room rate. For 2 people the prices ends up being about the same, once you factor in food. And, Domicolos is HEAVEN compared to Tortilla Flats.

Room Tip: Run!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I have been in CR for three months and this by far is the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. I slept in my clothes and didn't touch a thing. It was filthy, the sheets, the bathroom and there is mold all over the walls. It was truly disgusting. I have stayed other places that were inexpensive and they were decent places. I refused to go barefoot. 16 hours after getting into Domincal, we left. Better places to go. If you are young, a surfer and get drunk every night, this is the place for you.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

I am also confused by the negative reviews of TF.

Dominical was our last stop on our 3 week adventure. We got off an 8 hour travel day (crossed over from Panama), and showed up to Tortilla Flats hoping for the best; found a blurb from an old Frommer's. The office was closed and locked. While there were no directions....I had the COMMON SENSE to walk over and ask the bartender. Sure enough, Sean had the very last room key and tossed it to me so that I could check out the room. After doing so, I tossed him my credit card and stayed for three days.

After traveling CR and Panama, I have to say that it was the best value for $30. The room looked like it had a recent remodel (the bathroom was pretty awesome compared to where we had stayed at previously), had a wide bed with provided sheets and we were the closest room to the beach and restaurant. While I worried about the noise (the bar is pretty loud), the place closes at 9pm - so there was no issue with getting to sleep. They do not provide towels so bring your own.

You wake up and you're on the beach for $30. Surf in the morning, skate on the pipe in the afternoon. Why anybody would have complaints is beyond me.....oh wait, except for Maggie. She's the local pup and she likes to bark late at night for no apparent reason. But when you get to see Maggie's happy face at breakfast the next day, you pretty much forget that you were cursing her name 8 hours before.

The location is wonderful. Great, biologically diverse, beach, lots of vendors, convenience stores and restaurants all within a very short walking distance. I didn't partake but there is really cheap surfing and snorkeling teachers everywhere! All you have to do is ask. Was warned by a local that the food was expensive but it was actually pretty decent for the food you get. No joke, we had the BEST french toast we have ever had. Also, buy a tequila shot for Caroline. She's pretty awesome!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

I am getting a good laugh at some of the reviews for this place by people who expected luxury for $25 a night. Lets make something perfectly clear: It is a shabby, beach motel in a scruffy surfer town with tons of character and lots of interesting locals and tourists. Period.

Stayed here for a week in October to surf Dominical and had a great time. The bar is lively with good tunes and good food. Try the chicken Cordon Bleu, its not on the menu but is available and is one of the best chicken dishes I have ever had. The sandwiches and Calamari are excellent too. Rooms are sparse and a bit shabby but you really get that surfer shack feel and we were so tired from riding the waves that we passed right out anyways so sleep was not an issue. The hammock outside the room was cool and the skateboard half pipe is awesome.

The location was amazing, right on Dominical beach. The beach is hopping all day with lots of vendors, surfers and happy, smiling people and the professional massage I got under a palm tree was one of the best experiences of the trip. Thanks Cali! At night we had fires on the beach with new friends and drank beer and told stories under the stars. A great time.

Oh and the person who complained about seeing bugs in their room: Hello McFly?!, Costa Rica is one of the most biologically dense places in the world there are bugs everywhere! Maybe you should have stayed at home. LOL!

Perfect for a budget, party, surf week with friends. Not so good for people who like the boring old Best Western or Holiday Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Based on a recommendation and our travel budget, we reserved two nights. After arriving in torrential rains, we waited for nearly ten minutes outside of the office (no sign with instructions) before another traveler provided direction. In the ground level room we found small insects on the pillow, no towels, and a flooded and moldy shower. Even on a good day, this should only be considered as extremely basic accommodations. For me, I would rather camp in a sleeping bag and tent. It is certainly not recommended for couples or anyone else with any reasonable expectations. We also met another unsatisfied customer (solo traveler) who spent the night and validated our experience.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

I've seen some reviews here that don't really make sense to me. It's affordable, clean, on the beach, and one of the few really fun places to be in the area. I stayed next door for my first night based on a lonely planet review but it was pretty disgusting so I relocated to the TF for my next couple of nights. Sure, it was hot during that time of year, but you have the option to spring for a room with AC or for one of the rooms on the lower level...the heat obviously rises but hey...it's Southern Costa Rica in summer...it's gonna be hot everywhere. The Flats are in a prime spot...right on the beach and they have one of the few fun bars/restaurants in the area...really convenient. Good times. I would go back for sure. I miss Dominical...and hey...walk up the road and around the corner to the local Dive shop...look for Michael the Canadian and get certified! Really well done and at a great price!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Tortilla Flats? Share your experiences!