“Great pool and lovely staff” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Diuwak
Across From the Ice Office, Dominical, Dominical, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #8 of 11 hotels in Dominical
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great pool and lovely staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night while touring CR.

We found Dominical a little disappointing - aside from the beach there is not a lot happening, the only place with any life was a bar at one end of the village that seemed to be full of, and run by, American expats, which is not really what we were looking for.
Consequently, we ended up having an evening meal at the hotel, which is something we generally try to avoid. It was ok, but I still cannot work out how a shared pizza and salad plus a couple of drinks came to $51.
Other than that, everything was fine, albeit our basic room was on the small side, but the air con and shower were fine. The other major positives were the well tended gardens and the excellent pool and surrounds. There was a lot of greenery around the pool, so inevitably, some dead leaves and foliage dropped into the pool from time to time, but that, in my eyes at least, is far preferable to clinical and characterless concrete. It also meant some excellent opportunities for seeing wildlife, including humming birds and some huge lizards.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed there over christmas 2012 and it was a total nightmare. When i checked in the manager demanded all the money, in cash, upfront. Later in the day this 'manager' was deeply offensive to me when i complained about the pool being out of order - once again. its clearly been 'out of order' for several years judging by previous reviews. Without bothering to ask me whether i was going to continue to stay, he refunded most of my money for the 4 day stay and then told me that if i didnt leave by mid day he would put all my things outside the room. then he threatened to call the police if i didnt leave by check out time. The man is an ignorant chauvinist and has no business working in a hotel. I WOULD NEVER, EVER stay there again. Sleeping on the streets would be preferable.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you want to be insulted.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Considering the cramped, small size of Dominical, Hotel Diuwak felt like a spacious garden in the middle of chaos. We wanted to be near the beach and beach-front restaurants, which we were. Our room was adequate--The bathroom was spacious, water in the shower was hot, and the bedding was colorful and new. However, the room was so small that we had to move our beds to open the door. A/C worked fine in our room. Our kids had to change rooms because theirs did not. Their new room was large enough to open the door, but the bathroom was much smaller, and definitely from an older remodel.
The pool was nice, however the back bar was closed, so there was no pool-side service. The Sunday before Christmas, when a lot of new tourists were arriving, their pool was closed for cleaning.
Unfortunately, almost all of the rooms were empty, so I imagine that's why the bar was closed. There was a lackluster restaurant where we could get coffee and beers throughout the day. We tried the free breakfast one time, and it wasn't good enough to bring us back.
All in all, I would stay there again. Their staff was friendly and helpful. Be forewarned that no one there speaks English, other than Marlin, the waiter who helped me with my reservation.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked Hotel Diuwak despite reading some negative reviews, we enjoyed our stay but there are defintely some negatives. Firstly the rooms are outdated and could do with being modernised, our room seemed too small for a double and single bed - with suitcases too we had very little space to move. The pool is lovely but the pool area is bland and not well monitored, there was cigarette butts and empty beers cans on the ground. One big negative for me was the breakfast, you are given a menu to make a choice but then you are only allowed one of 3 things from the larger menu - or else you pay for it. The breakfast I ordered could only be described a measly - a tiny portion of scrambled egg and 1 slice of toast, when I asked for extra toast I got 1 more slice .... for 2 people ! The staff took away our plates as we chewed out last mouthful and it was all very rushed. The next day we decided to give it a miss and pay for a decent, relaxed breakfast elsewhere.

On the positive side the staff are friendly, they were mostly very young and seemed to be in training but they were helpful and attentive. The AC is the room was excellant and a welcome relief from the heat. The location is also good and is quiet - but then so is Dominical in general.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Newtonmore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I was travelling on my own and found this hotel a restful retreat after having had an intruder in my room in the previous hostel I had stayed in. The manager went out of his way to make phonecalls on my behalf when pickups were late and to ensure that all was good for me. The room was good with fan and aircon, also hot water in the shower, and was clean and comfortable. The gardens were lovely, and having computers with skype set up really useful. The location was fine being able to walk to the village and in a good position to participate in local tours. The only poor facilty was the diningroom where the evening meals were mediocre.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We checked in and the receptionist promised us that the rate we were given would include breakfast. The next morning we had an average breakfast. At the end of our meal, the waiter asked us for a breakfast ticket which should have been given to us by the receptionist. I went back to the receptionist to inquire about the breakfast ticket and at that point he tells us that the rate given did not include breakfast. False promises, below average room for the price paid. Staff was dishonest and pretty much ripped us off. Will never stay there again and definitely you can find better places with a more honest staff. We than moved to the hotel Domilocos around the corner. Great and honest staff, room quality identical for less than half of the price. Definitely recommend Domilocos as an alternative in the same location.

Room Tip: Go to Domilocos hotel instead.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Had a fantastic stay here, staff was super helpful (I kept locking myself out of my hotel room) and very friendly. The place was peaceful with plenty of monitor lizards around and some well kept gardens.
This place is located at the more southern part of "main street" Dominical and only about a 2 minute (if that) walk to the beach. You can't beat this beach, just watch the undertow.
Be sure to check out Green Iguana Surf School they are THE best with some really great instructors.

Room Tip: All rooms are spatious and well cleaned, to me you shouldn't be dissapointed
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Diuwak? Share your experiences!