“Impressed with sunset surf” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Surf Dominical - Day Lessons

Sunset Surf Dominical - Day Lessons
50 Meters East of Main St. & Quality Rd. At Domilocos, Dominical 11901, Costa Rica
+506 8917 3143
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 12 attractions in Dominical
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: We are a surf camp that will plan and set up your entire Costa Rican surf vacation, and we also run a surf school with daily surf lessons. We are proud supporters of both 1% for the Planet and the Surfrider Foundation. Our instructors are certified by the ISA , Costa Rican Lifegaurd Association, and are all avid surfers from around the globe. We will turn you from a "never ever" to an "intermediate" surfer by the time you leave us! If you are in intermediate surfer we will transport you to different surf spots where we will work on all aspects surfing point breaks to big beach break. Not only will we teach you everything you need to know about surfing we will show you around Costa Rica and make sure you are enjoying yourself in this jungle paradise! Please drop us an email to discuss your next Costa Rican surf vacation.
New York
“Impressed with sunset surf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I recently spent an unforgettable few days in Dominical taking a surf camp through sunset surf. Two things really stood out for me: the professionalism of the operation, and the personal attention provided throughout the whole experience. Everything went like clockwork from the airport pickup in San Jose to the hotel stay, the surf lessons themselves, and other activities. All I had to do was to show up and everything was taken care of with no worries!

Of course the main point of the trip was to learn how to surf: the quality of the instruction was top-notch and helped me to make a lot of progress over a few short days. When I'd taken surf lessons previously they had been in big groups with uninterested instructors who were going through the motions, and that was definitely not the case here. Instead the groups were small, and there was a lot of personalized feedback at all stages to help get the technique right. On a couple of occasions I got into a bit of trouble in the water (e.g. cramps), and the instructors responded immediately and professionally to help me out: very reassuring!

I really felt a sense of achievement at the end of the trip and am hoping to be back on a surf board in the warm water of Dominical very soon. I'd highly recommend sunset surf to others.

Visited March 2013
CostaRicaSurf81, Owner at Sunset Surf Dominical - Day Lessons, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
We are very happy you had a good time with us at our surf camp! From day one to day four you really improved your surfing skills, remember what you learned with us and practice the "pop and hop" in front of a mirror to see your body positioning, this way next time you paddle out you will do it with ease. Very nice meeting you good luck with the big move and remember that we offer a 10% discount to all returning surf campers! Hope to see you back in Dominical with us!!!

Caledon, Ontario, Canada
“Awesome, awesome and more awesome.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have taken a few surf lessons from various Dominical sites over the past few years and this one was by far the best. I learnt so much- improving my technique massively in just the 3 days that I took lessons with them mainly because I was always receiving constant feedback on every wave I caught. What I found most unique about this surf camp was the fact that they didn't just focus on catching waves- I learnt everything from how to read waves and what direction to ride them, to spotting rip tides and ocean safety-- all crucial skills that are very important to develop. Overall I have to say, I caught some killer waves, had some awesome laughs, and had an unforgettable experience. Thanks again guys!

Visited March 2013
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
“Great Instructor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just returned from another great surf sun and waterfall adventure, Dylan Park and his crew did a fantastic job with our reservations for scuba as well as surfing lessons, and some tarzan swinging into a waterfall pool. Thank You again, wish we were still in Costa Rica!

Austin, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“great class, great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were referred to Dylan and Sunset Surf by Bert, our host at Bella Vista Lodge. And to be honest, I figured we might end up at a surf shop where Bert gets the biggest referral for getting us there. - No big deal, with no other information to go on, a referral from our host was the best thing we had to go on and Bert assured us this shop was the best in town.

OK, perfect. - the night before we were scheduled to surf, we were seated next to another couple from where we live in Texas (Austin). They raved about the surf school they had been attending for the past few days and asked where we were going. The girl raved about an instructor named Dylan so much that I assumed she had a crush on the guy. :)

Anyway. It turned out that the shop Bert referred us to was Sunset Surf and the famed Dylan we heard about the night before. - Awesome, it's really reassuring to hear that something is the best choice from completely separate sources.

We met up at Domolicos around 10:45 and proceeded to get instructions on how rip currents work, etc. along with the basics of surfing. As Dylan explained rip currents, the group looked around for examples and just happened to see a few folks swimming right where a rip current was happening and they were getting caught up in it. Dylan noticed this and without missing a beat started to run over to help these people along with his assistant, Josue. It was like watching a live taping of Baywatch folks, seriously. - No one was hurt but it was a pretty intense moment to start the day.

Back to the class. We had about 9 people and everyone get up on their boards at some point. Most of us several times.

Dylan and Josue were patient and helpful the whole time. You can definitely tell Dylan grew up in Hawaii and is doing something he loves and knows and a lot about.

I can't think of anything they could have done better. A great experience.

New Orleans
“Sunset Surf School”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had an amazing time with Dylan and Adam. It was the first time I had surfed and they made me feel so comfortable. They made me absolutely fall in love with surfing. I would highly recommend them. They are great teachers and share their passion for surfing. I wish I could have stayed longer in CR.