“STILL the best burgers around!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Rogers, AR
“STILL the best burgers around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband and I just visited the Refuge for the fouth time. We have been to Costa Rica 4 times. We found this jewel on our first trip and now it is a MUST every time we visit!! I cannot say enough about this place! The burgers are out of this world! Big enough to share but I usually eat the whole thing!!! Very messy though!! :) The staff is great! Very friendly! The atmosphere is very relaxed and laid back. We will visit each and every time we visit Costa Rica! Thank you!

• Visited May 2012

85% Recommend
Heber City, Utah, United States
“Tops for burgers in Dominical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Our son spotted this place during one of our surfing lessons with Sunset Surf and it was reported to have the best burgers in Dominical. So of course we had to try it. We were not disappointed. Not only were they the best burgers in Dominical, they were some of the best burgers we've ever had. Wonderful, large, grilled, and flavorful. The fries were to die for. Staff was friendlly and attentive. Go there! NOW

• Visited March 2012
Dominical
“Fish Tacos, Burgers, And Fries Oh My!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

I have been to the Refuge many times and no matter what I have ordered it has always been Excellent! The ingredients are fresh, the fries are hand-cut and fried to order (and served with Heinz ketchup, which is a treat here in CR), and the dishes are HUGE so splitting with someone else is no problem; you will leave satisfied.

My personal favorite are the Fish Burgers and fries, unfortunately since they are very popular and the restaurant buys the fish fresh daily, sometimes I have to go without because it is in limited supply. But the Hamburgers are out of this world so my disappointment quickly goes away at my very first bite.

Some people have mentioned that you cannot purchase alcohol here. Well the solution to this is 'bring your own'. Grab a six pack or a bottle of wine at a local convenient store at a fraction of 'local restaurant' prices and enjoy it with your burger at the restaurant, they have no problem what-so-ever with this. It is actually better because you can save money here. Example: most domestic beer like Imperial or Pilsen at a restaurant is $2.5 per beer, well you can purchase it at the store for $1 each. Same with wine. A bottle of wine is about $8, well a glass of wine is $5 to $6....so for 4 of 5 glasses of wine (equal to contents of a bottle) you would pay $30 to $36 extra.....I'm just saying.

Lastly I would like to add that the atmosphere is relaxed and sometimes people come straight into the restaurant in their bathing suits. And possibly a dog or two are in the restaurant. This is a Beach Restaurant and can accommodate this as the place is huge, has vaulted ceilings, no window or doors, fresh ocean breeze, and is very clean...even the bathrooms, which is rare on the beach. This is a place to chill out, eat a great meal, enjoy the beautiful view, and just Chill Out.

If you are starving after a surfing session go to the Refuge, they will take care of you! You will not be disappointed.

• Visited March 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“"Best Burgers"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

We went here for lunch one day. The burgers were huge! The fries were fresh! I think they must of been freshly pressed?

The best burger and fries I've had!

Great job!

Looking forward to returning next year

Nick & Jo

Visited February 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Bad Service, Stone Cold Burger”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Seemed relaxed and dog-friendly at first. Staff appeared to be youths from hostel upstairs. We liked that at first, but the were rude, took an hour and a half to bring our hamburger, in an almost empty restaurant, and delivered it completely cold. We were asked, "Didn't you ever ate (sic) a cold burger before?"

• Visited February 2012