“Beautiful place, perfect hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rio Magnolia Nature Lodge

Save Saved
You added Rio Magnolia Nature Lodge to your Saves list
Rio Magnolia Nature Lodge
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   La Alfombra de Baru | 25 km east of Dominical, Dominical 11901, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 13 Dominical B&B and Inns
København
“Beautiful place, perfect hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

If you like nature and want to experience something really beautiful, you will need visit Rio Magnolia.
John & Maureen are a wonderful couple and they take their time to tell you everything you need to know about the local surroundings.
But you must love dogs as Rio Magnolia is home for quite a few, all very loveable.
We stayed there for a week in February and all I can say is we loved it!

Room Tip: El Cielo; with your own private balcony and a huge bathroom.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Where to begin? The bumpy ride in our rented 4-wheel drive vehicle was MORE than worth it... Who knew what the reward was at the end of the road? Paradise. John and Maureen and their staff (especially Davide) were welcoming and always anxious to do everything they could to ensure our every need was met. The lodge was beautiful, relaxing, and, the view... spectacular. It literally lulls you into a state of relaxed bliss. We stayed in Mongo Congo (cabin) for 7 days and could not have been happier. Going to sleep to the sounds of the jungle and waking up to the howler monkeys was amazing. Although we opted to rent a car and take day trips, John and Maureen are more than happy to arrange transportation, if needed. Oh, did I mention the fantastic food and coffee grown on the property? We (my boyfriend and I) actually had a hard time leaving. Not just the "normal" not wanting to end vacation, but we felt so bonded with John and Maureen and their five loveable pooches. Still trying to figure out how to get hired there... Ha.

Room Tip: They are all good, but if you want privacy Mongo Congo is a little distance away from the main lodge...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I would just echo what others have said - the absolute best location looking over the beautiful valley, amazing food, and absolutely lovely people. Fab - just go there!! I particularly liked seeing the tiny baby cows, and going for secluded swims in the waterfalls (and having a go at the water slide!), and just sitting by the pool bird watching. I honestly cant think how this could be improved...

Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

If you think that you are going to use this amazing jungle lodge as a base camp for day-tripping and just a place to sleep, that would be a huge mistake. Firstly, Rìo Magnolia is down a loooong (30-45 minutes) high-clearance 4-wheel drive "road" and you need to know that before you book. That somehow works, though, because you can leave your car at the highway and Eliecer will cheerfully drive you in and out, pointing out the howlers, birds, and wildlife along the way. Secondly, this is not a pop-in, pop-out destination. It IS a destination on its own: for quiet, jungle sounds, bird-watching, reading, swimming, fine dining, relaxing, good conversation or solitude, hiking, caring and personable staff, and sleeping in exquisite accommodations in an absolutely stunning location. John and Maureen are the consummate hosts and will do everything possible to make sure that their guests are well cared for. Maureen's cooking is fabulous but, although there are no options to go anywhere else, the cost for dinners, lunches, and all drinks (other than water) is an additional charge commensurate with $$$ dining. A splendid breakfast every morning is included, though. Also, be aware that the internet is neither reliable, nor available in all areas of the hotel, so if that is a necessity, this is not the place for you. Finally, the longer you stay at Rìo Magnolia, the harder it becomes to think of ever leaving. The unceasing sound of the river after which the place was named, the fragrance of blooming coffee, the relentless peace, all slowly sucked me into a blessed cocoon and forced the stress in my body to ooze through my pores, leaving me as limp and as cleansed as the huge vegetation that surrounds the lodge, nestling it in first-growth rainforest. I luxuriated in my stay, hated to say good-bye, and would absolutely return.

Room Tip: Try for El Cielo - a beautiful, private suite in the lodge.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 4 nights at Rio Magnolia and I wish it could have been 40. Owners John and Maureen share their piece of heaven on earth with anyone who can make the trek. Three days in, we felt like part of the family.

Great food, rooms, activities on the property.

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful...

Somerset, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Rio Magnolia is straight out of a fairy tale! Stayed 2 weeks here in Dec/Jan for the holidays with my boyfriend and it was fantastic! The food was AMAZING! It is a luxury hotel deep inside a rainforest that guarantees an extraordinary experience for all. One thing is that you definitely need a 4 wheel drive car to drive over the bumpy and steep roads through the rainforest to reach the lodge. However, once you reach the lodge, you will be amazed to find the beautiful lodge created by John and Maureen. Thank you so much John and Maureen for taking care of us during our stay in Costa Rica! The staff was wonderful and so friendly. My bf and I stayed part of our vacation in El Cielo and La Heliconia. Both are gorgeous rooms with comfortable beds!

I loved the Rio Magnolia because you receive personalized service that is not common in many hotels/resorts nowadays. For example, John knocked down some coconuts from a tree during our hike to a waterfall in the Rio Magnolia property (a MUST do activity when you are there!) and we happily drank coconut water that John cut open with his machete.

My bf and I would also have our hilarious daily morning chats with David (staff) about our days as he tried to teach us more Spanish before breakfast. It is these little experiences that are unforgettable and make a trip unique! If you want an enriching experience in Costa Rica, I would recommend that you definitely check out Rio Magnolia or at least stop by their lodge for couple days if you're in the area and you won't regret it!!! :)

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful and have their own unique traits. However, if you need wireless internet, I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Being in the Fashion business for over twenty five years,,,and being used to not one detail escaping the eye,,, especially as a photographer,,,, I can joyfully say ,,,Maureen has not let one little detail slip,,,,,everything is just gorgeous!!!! From the the fabulous views , the dinners and breakfasts.,, the appetizers, the room ,,(el cielo,,) the entire house,,,,,the birds (toucans and all), their dogs, the pool, the nature , the coffee, the staff, the convo with you both and all the other guests,,,, all perfection!!!
Need I go on????? Ohhhhh,,,, john,,,your great martinis ,,,or was that you Maureen that made my martinis??? Hahahah ,,,well ,,,,whatever,,,your both superb,and I hope to see you again,,,in fact I just may ,,as I have another trip planned ,,,,I fell in love with the town OJOCHAL ,,not far from you,and am going back soon to look around some more,,,,I will pop in ,,for a ,,,martini???
Much light , heidi lane

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Rio Magnolia Nature Lodge? Share your experiences!