“Wonderful Stay!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rio Magnolia Nature Lodge

Save Saved
You added Rio Magnolia Nature Lodge to your Saves list
Rio Magnolia Nature Lodge
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   La Alfombra de Baru | 25 km east of Dominical, Dominical 11901, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
$128 (USD)
Ranked #1 of 13 Dominical B&B and Inns
Somerset, New Jersey
“Wonderful Stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Rio Magnolia is straight out of a fairy tale! Stayed 2 weeks here in Dec/Jan for the holidays with my boyfriend and it was fantastic! The food was AMAZING! It is a luxury hotel deep inside a rainforest that guarantees an extraordinary experience for all. One thing is that you definitely need a 4 wheel drive car to drive over the bumpy and steep roads through the rainforest to reach the lodge. However, once you reach the lodge, you will be amazed to find the beautiful lodge created by John and Maureen. Thank you so much John and Maureen for taking care of us during our stay in Costa Rica! The staff was wonderful and so friendly. My bf and I stayed part of our vacation in El Cielo and La Heliconia. Both are gorgeous rooms with comfortable beds!

I loved the Rio Magnolia because you receive personalized service that is not common in many hotels/resorts nowadays. For example, John knocked down some coconuts from a tree during our hike to a waterfall in the Rio Magnolia property (a MUST do activity when you are there!) and we happily drank coconut water that John cut open with his machete.

My bf and I would also have our hilarious daily morning chats with David (staff) about our days as he tried to teach us more Spanish before breakfast. It is these little experiences that are unforgettable and make a trip unique! If you want an enriching experience in Costa Rica, I would recommend that you definitely check out Rio Magnolia or at least stop by their lodge for couple days if you're in the area and you won't regret it!!! :)

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful and have their own unique traits. However, if you need wireless internet, I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Being in the Fashion business for over twenty five years,,,and being used to not one detail escaping the eye,,, especially as a photographer,,,, I can joyfully say ,,,Maureen has not let one little detail slip,,,,,everything is just gorgeous!!!! From the the fabulous views , the dinners and breakfasts.,, the appetizers, the room ,,(el cielo,,) the entire house,,,,,the birds (toucans and all), their dogs, the pool, the nature , the coffee, the staff, the convo with you both and all the other guests,,,, all perfection!!!
Need I go on????? Ohhhhh,,,, john,,,your great martinis ,,,or was that you Maureen that made my martinis??? Hahahah ,,,well ,,,,whatever,,,your both superb,and I hope to see you again,,,in fact I just may ,,as I have another trip planned ,,,,I fell in love with the town OJOCHAL ,,not far from you,and am going back soon to look around some more,,,,I will pop in ,,for a ,,,martini???
Much light , heidi lane

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My fiance and I had a perfect visit to Rio Magnolia in April 2012.

Everything said in all the other glowing reviews is true!! This is a one of a kind, magical nature lodge! Do not hesitate to book your stay here – I guarantee that you will not be disappointed!

The main house is gorgeous - with mountain and valley views from every spot. We stayed in the "Mono Congo" cabin - which I highly recommend – although I am sure all rooms are lovely.

In the mornings and evenings we heard a symphony of beautiful rainforest sounds – howler monkeys, birds and insects. The days were filled with sunshine and warmth and in the evenings it cooled down and we slept peacefully.

We walked on the property trails and took the hike down to the beautiful, private waterfall! This is a must-do!

The food was out of this world delicious!!! In fact, it was the best food I have ever had while traveling! We were served breakfast on a private porch alongside beautiful mountain and rainforest views. We ate evening appetizers looking out on a beautiful sunset over the valley below. After sunset the entire home was lit with candles, which was an incredibly romantic setting for our dinner.

John and Maureen are kind and lovely. We were so relaxed throughout our entire stay. They have built a very special home and life - and it was a pleasure to be a part of it, if only for just a few days.

Visit Rio Magnolia and you will have beautiful memories that last a lifetime. Let the experiences of others assure you... Rio Magnolia is paradise found!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We woke up to the sounds of toucans and went to bed after hearing the sounds of our forks scraping our plates for one last delicious morsel. The Rio Magnolia has something for everyone and is full of wonderful juxtapositions.

Although isolated, high up in the middle of a jungle, you are never far from a friendly face thanks to John and Maureen and their wonderful staff. As other reviewers write, staying with John and Maureen is like visiting old friends or family. Conversations and tours with them were some of the best parts of the trip. (Even their dogs are exceptionally well-behaved and adorable. And this is coming from ardent cat people)

The winding, unpaved road up to their property makes you feel cut off to the world, but the coast (like Domincal or Hacienda Baru) or the bustling town of San Isidrio really aren’t that far away—an hour or so (Maybe a little further depending on where along the coast you want to go.) Actually riding with their charming driver – Eliecer – was another favorite part of our trip. His budding English and our limited Spanish made for a lot of fun conversations. He also picked us up at the airport in San Jose and let us off over a bridge brimming with crocodiles. (There is no way we would have known where to stop to see such a sight, one of many insider gems shared by the folks of Rio Magnolia.) John and Maureen also helped us plan and coordinate all our excursions before we even arrived, like visiting Hacienda Baru, snorkeling at Cano Island, visiting Corcovado National Park, and going to San Isidro. On a free day they suggested visiting a cool beach with caves called Playa Ventanas. Though really there are enough interesting things at the Rio Magnolia to keep you busy for days there.

Again, with such beautiful, hilly terrain and being located literally on the edge of a dense rainforest, the Rio Magnolia is like another world. Beautiful birds sing and fly by and there is all sorts of other wildlife around. But they have wireless internet should you want to ruin this other-worldly feeling. And the comforts of the place are on par with any lodge or B&B you can find.

The only cons we can think of are really unavoidable and actually just part of the whole experience. The place can be a little humid and damp, but that is part of the deal when you sleep in a rainforest. (The weather there was much cooler and more pleasant than along the coast.) And the ride up to the lodge from the main highway could be a little long and bumpy for some, but for us, it made it all the more exciting. You also get to drive through the tiny village of La Alfombra along this road. The village was another highlight in our book.

We stayed a week in early July and the weather couldn’t have been better. It rained only in the late afternoons and in the evenings, never interfering with any of our plans - only enhancing our naps and evening slumber. We can’t recommend the Rio Magnolia enough. It was a great time and great value, and we really feel like we made new friends—friends with the remarkable vision to find, build, and run such a wonderful place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 7 nights- we got an Adventure Package that provided us with big and delicious breakfasts, happy hour appetizers, amazing three course dinners, a horseback riding and waterfall tour, and a ziplining tour and picnic. It was the PERFECT vacation for us. John and Maureen are incredible people and stupendous hosts. Their property is beautiful, and they are so knowledgeable about the area. We went in June (during the rainy season) and it was actually perfect for us because we were able to be active in the morning when it was sunny, and then we read for hours in the afternoon when it was raining. The rainforest sounds are so peaceful- living in the city, we miss the natural white noise terribly! We were also able to see (and hear) some unique wildlife which was fun looking up and trying to identify in the plant and animal books that they have.

It's hard to describe the unique quality of this place- it was just so relaxing staying at the property, eating delicious food, and chatting with wonderful hosts. We can't wait to make it back to Costa Rica, but more importantly, we can't wait to make it back to Rio Magnolia!

Room Tip: We stayed in El Cielo, which offers incredible views and is just separated from the main lodge by a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We had an amazing stay in the rainforest. The room and facilities have been top-class and we didn't want for anything, thanks to the hospitality of John and Maureen. The meals and the cocktails have been amazing! Ben and Amy, Birmingham, England

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

My wife and I have visited Costa Rica three and four times now, the last two at Rio Magnolia. The place is fantastic. Where to begin. The driver picks us up at the airport and through our limited Spanish and his emerging English we had a very nice drive which because of our late flight has us arriving at the lodge near mid-night. We're shown to our room (El Cielo) and Maureen asks if there is anything we need before we retire. I walk out onto the balcony. It is too dark to see the valley, but a clear sky without light pollution provides a view of the heavens that is just fantastic. I would have star gazed for hours if I had not been tired from our trip. The next morning the view of the valley from our room was incredible with clouds working their way up the valley and the trees around our room populated by beautiful birds. In a few minutes I've seen at least a dozen that I've never seen before. But the view – you have got to see this view. In a few minutes the cares of work have dissolved away and I realize I'm in what I refer to as “my right mind”. From there the trip just gets better.

The food as so many folks have already mentioned is fantastic. The coffee which is grown on the property is first rate. Many of Maureen's recipes from her cookbook are now regular items on our menu at home. John and Maureen are incredible hosts and we quickly felt like we were visiting friends. There are a number of great tours that they will set up for you, but the property itself can keep you entertained as you learn about the coffee growing and processing, visit the hydro-electric plant and the tilapia pond and in general bird watch and explore. On our last trip their driver took us down to Dominical to visit the beach and practice our limited Spanish. We joined John and Maureen on a trip to San Ignacio which we really enjoyed because of the lack of tourist influence. It helped us get a feel for what it might be like to live/retire to Costa Rica which is something we are considering. All the staff is very helpful and nice – it really is a great place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rio Magnolia Nature Lodge? Share your experiences!