“Dominical's best” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Dominical's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I visited the restaurant at Cuna del Angel three times during our month (January) in Dominical. We think their margaritas are the best in the area. The atmosphere is romantic; lighting is nice. They have a very nice lounge area ( seems underutilized) which we took advantage of for our drinks last night. The service is very professional but friendly. I am a light eater so I usually got appetizers. Last night I started with their stacked grilled vege antipasto salad which was excellent. I had the tuna carpaccio appetizer as my entree. I would order both again. My husband had the Caribbean salad ( he has had twice now) which has a wonderful ginger dressing. He had sea bass with basil sauce which he also loved. Every plate is beautiful in it 's presentation.
It might be a little more costly than other restaurants in Dominical (although the sea bass was about $15 which we would have paid $22 or so for in U.S.). The prices are very fair in our opinion. Put it on your list for a special evening out. If you are coming from the south, it can be tricky to find. If you pass the Jolly Roger sign on your right, you have just passed it.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
Wantage, United Kingdom
“Good food on an interesting menu - ask them to slow down the service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had problems finding this place. The hotel and restaurant sign is only visible when travelling south on the highway, and even then it's positioned quite high up in the trees making it almost invisible at night.

The menu is extensive, mostly in a gourmand Americana vein. The cooking is above average for the area, but for Europeans be warned the portions are enormous. You won't need three courses.

The dining room is open air under a solid sheltering canopy. With its subtle lighting it makes a good venue for a romantic dinner.

We started with beef carpaccio - a huge portion served on-top of shredded lettuce. It was good, just too much. My partner had a very interesting dish of avocado and salmon inside wontons served with a spicy peanut sauce. This was excellent. The mains were a fish filet with a basil sauce which was highly rated, whilst I had the dish of the day - a sea bass, prawn and mussel ragout which was ok. I finished with a very good home made pistachio ice cream, and the waiting staff looked genuinely shocked when I asked for a single ball.

The service was attentive, but just a little too keen. Our main course dishes arrived a second after our starter plates were cleared away. Maybe this is the American expectation, but in Europe we like to partake of a more leisurely dinner. I would suggest telling them up front that you'd like some time between courses.

This is also the nearest good restaurant to Tikivillas.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Nice romantic restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Ask for the passionfruit mojito - gorgeous! I didn't give a full 5 star because the restaurant didn't have a fan, so we were a little warm during dinner. The food is really good but not amazing. At it's a tad expensive. However, the service and atmosphere is great so still worth a visit.

Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
“Excellent food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Every dish we tried was exceptionally well prepared and presented. We complimented the chef personally, the only time we did this on this entire trip. Outstanding.

Visited December 2012
Dominical, Costa Rica
“Excellent restaurant and great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went to dine at this restaurant and were very pleased with the food, service, and atmosphere. If you are looking for fine dining in the Dominical area, be sure to try this restaurant!

• Visited January 2013