“Good food on an interesting menu - ask them to slow down the service!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cuna Del Angel

Cuisines: International
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Wantage, United Kingdom
“Good food on an interesting menu - ask them to slow down the service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had problems finding this place. The hotel and restaurant sign is only visible when travelling south on the highway, and even then it's positioned quite high up in the trees making it almost invisible at night.

The menu is extensive, mostly in a gourmand Americana vein. The cooking is above average for the area, but for Europeans be warned the portions are enormous. You won't need three courses.

The dining room is open air under a solid sheltering canopy. With its subtle lighting it makes a good venue for a romantic dinner.

We started with beef carpaccio - a huge portion served on-top of shredded lettuce. It was good, just too much. My partner had a very interesting dish of avocado and salmon inside wontons served with a spicy peanut sauce. This was excellent. The mains were a fish filet with a basil sauce which was highly rated, whilst I had the dish of the day - a sea bass, prawn and mussel ragout which was ok. I finished with a very good home made pistachio ice cream, and the waiting staff looked genuinely shocked when I asked for a single ball.

The service was attentive, but just a little too keen. Our main course dishes arrived a second after our starter plates were cleared away. Maybe this is the American expectation, but in Europe we like to partake of a more leisurely dinner. I would suggest telling them up front that you'd like some time between courses.

This is also the nearest good restaurant to Tikivillas.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Nice romantic restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Ask for the passionfruit mojito - gorgeous! I didn't give a full 5 star because the restaurant didn't have a fan, so we were a little warm during dinner. The food is really good but not amazing. At it's a tad expensive. However, the service and atmosphere is great so still worth a visit.

Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
“Excellent food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Every dish we tried was exceptionally well prepared and presented. We complimented the chef personally, the only time we did this on this entire trip. Outstanding.

Visited December 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent restaurant and great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went to dine at this restaurant and were very pleased with the food, service, and atmosphere. If you are looking for fine dining in the Dominical area, be sure to try this restaurant!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ocean Ridge, FL
“Wonderful Christmas Eve Dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our family ate here on Christmas Eve. It's just beautiful, and even more so with the decorations. The staff was very attentive and knowledgeable. Very good wine list. My son had the tenderloin which would rival any steak I've ever tasted! My other son and I had chicken florentine which was just delicious. My husband had a snapper special--wait for it--absolutely without parallel. All of us tasted it and agreed it was the best dish!

Dessert must not be missed at Cuna del Angel! I had the Mango Flambe. It was prepared tableside with a great deal of drama and fire! It was incredible. I wish I could have it right now!
My husband had the sorbet and ice cream which were obviously made in house with fresh fruit.

Our server was attentive but not intrusive. He was quite friendly, and he let us take our time. I can't wait to go back!

• Visited December 2012