“It did not stand up to the ledge” 3 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #4 of 12 Attractions in Tombstone
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: This one-time theater and brothel has been reincarnated as a museum.
Orlando
“It did not stand up to the ledge”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was very disapointed when I got there I just wanted to cry, I guss I was thinking it was going to be better then it was, That is just my opinion

Visited March 2012

El Paso, Texas
11 attraction reviews
“Most Authentic Place in Tombstone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

LOVE the Birdcage Theater, was our favorite attraction there. In spite of some of the cheesey things - the Halloween ghoul that overlooks the card table for instance - this place is like walking into a time capsule of the late 1800's. There is so much to see in there you really need to allow plenty of time. Don't miss the doors in the basement that have windows that let you look into rooms that were used by the ladies for business - eerie and a bit unsettling because they look like the ladies just left. I highly recommend this place!

Visited December 2012
New York
“Haunted Birdcage Theater”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Birdcage is truly like stepping back in time. One feels what it was like back in th wild west when you are there. The tour guide, the wonderful Nova is very knowledgable about the theater and its history. I went on the evening tour which she conducted and particpated in a seance that was done in the backstage area. We picked up on some interesting vibes during the session. Everything is as it was over 150 years ago and it is a national treasure. I look very much forward to returning there again.

Visited April 2012
Wakefield, MA
179 attraction reviews
“FEEL the history of Tombstone !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My 1st visit to Tombstone was 21 years ago. I have been back 3 times since and I always visit the Birdcage Theater. It is my favorite building in Tombstone. I believe that it is the only original building still standing. The other 3 times that I visited the theater the poker room and other rooms that are located beneath the stage were not open to the public so this visit was even more exciting. Whenever I visit the theater I am in awe of the place. The history that is in that one building is incredible. There are 14 crib cages (rooms) lining both sides of the theater all with the original velvet drapes and trimmings. It was here that the prostitutes "entertained" the men. You can see the original stage,curtain, and piano. There is a Faro Table where Doc Holliday played and other items on display that belonged to such people as Doc Holliday and Bat Masterson. There is also "The Black Moriah" which is the only original Black Hearse left that was used to transport bodies to Boothill. There are tons of photos hanging of all the famous and infamous characters of the Old West. You can go downstairs and see the poker room with the original poker tables. It is said that it is the most haunted building in Tombstone and I can believe it since there were over 26 people murdered here and bullet holes everywhere. I can go on and on. You just have to see it. If you really want to get the feel of what Tombstone was like in its heyday then you have to visit the Birdcage Theater.

I also wanted to add that it is old,dirty,and dusty like some of the other reviewers have stated, but it just adds to its mystique. I don't believe that they are letting it fall to ruin. They would never let that happen. Also, I unfortunately did not take the nightly ghost tour inside the theater, but I will the next time I visit.

Visited October 2012
Ohio
73 attraction reviews
“a great bit of history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Was great fun to wander thru and see all the history in the place. It's not terribly large... but lots of things to look at and read about. It's one mark against it-- lose the dummies! Loved the lower level, but putting in out of place and tacky looking mannequins ruined the whole feel and look.

Visited November 2012