“Atrractive modern Comfort Suites” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
washington, d.c.
“Atrractive modern Comfort Suites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

The hotel is a 7 minute ride from the airport rental and a similar ride to downtown Mill Avenue in Tempe. Like its sister hotel in Flagstaff, the first floor is designed like a lodge with high ceilings and a fireplace (nice in March, unused in July). Our 2 Q room was extremely large, modern and updated. Staff was friendly and informative, and we had the typical chain breakfast, including the vg waffle. Easy on off location for visiting Tempe/Mesa or en route, as us, to Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon & Mon Valley. Try the Greek restaurant in Tempe diagonal to Gordon Biersch or GB for a decent dinner.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
bay area, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

My son was taken away in an ambulance from the airport, upon arrival to Arizona. It was the scariest time of my life! I had only 1 night booked here. We were supposed to attend a wedding the next day. That never happened. The only person in the wedding party I did know, left for Hawaii the following day.
Anyway, later a taxi took us from the hospital to the hotel. Each morning I paid the hotel for the night before, and explained to them I had no idea when we could leave but the hospital said, until my son was better, we had to stay put. They were so understanding. My credit card maxed out and they had to take my word for it, that I would pay in cash (which of course I did), each morning for the previous night. They even had the airport shuttle guy drive us for free to Walgreens, to get my son medicine and Gatorade. Staff checked-in on my son often, did many favors for us, helped me find a laundry service to come get our clothes and clean and return them (we only packed for 1 day and a wedding), recommended affordable food delivery services, etc.
We were stuck in Arizona, with my son who was deathly ill - just me and my 10 year old son, alone in that hotel. If it hadn't been for them I would have had a nervous breakdown!!! We stayed 6 days. They were so kind and helpful. We got to check out late our last day. The front desk held onto my son's tux rental (after we left) until a friend, of a friend, of a friend, could pick it up and return it to Men's Wherehouse for us.
The hotel had hot yummy breakfast (FREE -thank God!), good coffee all day in the lobby, a computer (again, thank God!), nice big clean rooms with comfy beds, excellant AC, vending machines, pool (of course we never swam) and we even had a frige/microwave/and coffee maker in our room. If you need an affordable place, with honest to goodness, good people running the place, this is the place for you! I am eternally grateful for them!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 2 weeks. Overall, we were pleased and plan to stay here next year. Together we listed our pros and cons:

PROS: Central located with quick access to freeways. Huge shopping mall nearby. Check in was easy. Front desk reps were very respectful and helpful. Room had a really comfy pillow top mattress with 5 feather pillows. Large flatscreen TV (approx. 36") with many HD channels. Dressers, nightstands, coffee table, and desks were sleek with a mahogany wood look. Bathroom had the same wood with granite counter tops and granite shower walls. Shower had a high shower head with an extended curtain rod to give you more room which my 6'4 hubby appreciated. Good size frig (bigger than the usual type), microwave, and 4c coffee maker. Sitting area was a nice touch since it was seperated with a partial wall from the sleeping area, it gave a larger feel to the room and somewhere other than on the bed to relax.

CONS: Continental breakfast was really poor and we're not even picky about food lol! The "hot" food was flavorless, rubbery and dry. Overall, there was a really slim selection. (Didn't mind much since we ended up finding what's now our FAVORITE little breakfast joint. I listed it below.) Fitness/Gym closed and under construction for remodeling. NO laundry facility available at all, so for 2 weeks we had to drive to a laundromat and wait for hours on several occasions for our clothes to wash and dry.

(Our FAVORITE restaurant that we found is a fabulous little 50's themed eatery called the "5 & Diner" located in the parking lot of Arizona Mills Mall on Baseline Rd. We ate there ALMOST EVERY morning since their food was so delicious and really reasonably priced! We tried everything from french toast, waffles, biscuits & gravy, country fried steak, and more! It was all really yummy!)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

We had stayed here before with no problems, but there were problems this time: hidden charges and too much construction noise. No inidication of park and fly charges was listed at the hotel website, but they do charge $7/night for parking if you intend to leave your car there while on a trip. Also, they are refurbishing the inn, so the noise, dust, dirt and general mess are all bad. There is no regard for current clients staying here. Construction, with too much noise, starts very early in the morning and lasts all day. Forget sleeping in at all! Find a quiet hotel with no surprise charges and forget about this place.

• Disliked — Noise, hidden charges, poor staff response to concerns and problems.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
TravelinOG
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

The comfort hotel corporation should be ashamed of this hotel. I've stayed at many Comfort facilities and have never seen a hotel as outdated as this one. I was very disappointed with the quality of the room for the following

1. upon entry I found the carpet was pieced together with mismatched carpet (overall the carpet made me cringe, didn't wan't to take my shoes off)

2. Found snags in the pull out couch

3. VERY outdated decoration, the kitchenette area was a clear indication with teal green marble sinks?

4. Scratches and scuffs on the walls

I booked these rooms on hotels.com and they were $60 a night...without the discount it was going to be about $75 its not worth that amount and not deserving of the title "SUITES"

• Liked — The free shuttle to the airport/close to airport
  • Disliked — The shabby upkept apperance, Hotel needs a remodel
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tucson Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

Our stay was absolutely wonderful. The room was lovely, the bed was awsome, like sleeping on a cloud, we had 5 pillows, microwave, fridge, and lots of room, with a sofa bed area seperate. The AC was fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone.
In the morning there is a great breakfast area. You can make your own waffles, they had danish, bagels, fresh fruit, muffins, eggs, sausage, juices, too much to mention.
I would give it a A+++++++ rating!

• Liked — the bed!!!!!!
  • Disliked — we did have a little trouble finding it, but that was our fault, it is very easy to find.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Antonio, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

We booked this hotel based on it’s price and location as we had an overnight layover in Phoenix. I figured that we couldn’t go wrong with a Choice brand hotel as we have never stayed in a bad one. Well, this one was the worst so far. Definitely not the worst hotel/motel I’ve ever stayed in, but certainly the worst in the Choice family. The lobby was nice and made me think that we had made a good decision upon arrival, but as soon as we hit the front desk, things took a turn for the worse. While checking in, my wife asked the young lady who was helping us a question about something. She did not understand the question and my wife therefore did not understand the answer, so that made my wife ask a further question, and the clerk defensive and started getting an attitude with us. I had to step in and explain to both of them when one was asking and the other was trying to answer. My wife left the desk steaming, because she felt like she had been given incorrect information. Right or wrong, the attitude really bothered me.

So, we proceeded to the elevator as instructed. For the love of God, could the fire marshal please come inspect this building? My wife walked into the elevator and the door VERY quickly closed behind her before I could get in. She tried to catch the door with her hand as you normally can do with the elevator but it kept on closing. She pulled her hand out and the door smashed shut on her suitcase – with pretty good force. It did not reopen. Had that been a child, or even an arm or leg, I could only imagine the injury that would have happened. She finally got the door to reopen by hitting various buttons inside the elevator and I quickly dashed in. She tried pushing our floor number and nothing happened. The door snapped shut again and we feared that we were going to be sealed inside, perhaps forever. After a few brief second of panic, the lights came back on on the panel and it allowed us to push our floor number. When we arrived at the second floor and the door opened, I dashed out the door and left her to fend for herself as the door snapped shut behind me. Fearing getting stuck in again, she waited for everything to light back up and hit the “Door Open” button and made a run for it. “We’re taking the stairs from now on.”

Upon entering the room, we were greeted by an unpleasant smell. “Aw, man, they gave us a smoking room,” I thought out loud. She replied, “this whole hotel is supposedly smoke free.” Hmm, so is that old smoke, or just some other kind of funk lingering in the room? It smelled kind of like my grandma’s house who smoked Virginia Slims and sold Avon. The décor was laughable, mint toothpaste colored faux marble sinks, a little sitting area with furniture that looked like it came from “That 70’s Show.” There was a hole in the bathroom door the size of a golf ball and all the caulking, tiling and paneling were separating from the drywall. The thing that concerned me the most was the large mass of electrical wires and tape and clips dangling down from the bottom of the A/C. I had to think that was some kind of fire hazard, and if we had been traveling with kids, I would have thought that they could have electrocuted themselves on it. The A/C did work fine though and did eventually clear out the smell (or I got used to it). The bed was very springy and not that comfortable so I tossed and turned a lot and my wife felt all of it so she didn’t sleep much either.

The morning staff was wonderful and saved some face for the hotel and the continental breakfast was a lot better than I was expecting. By now we had figured out the trick of holding the “Door Open” button down in the elevator and were pros at dodging the elevator doors one at a time, even with suitcases. We didn’t use the shuttle because we had to rent a car to run a couple of errands while we were in Phoenix. Overall, the price (through hotels.com – much cheaper than their standard rates) was good and the location was good. The hotel just needs a serious facelift and needs to address what appeared to me as some serious safety issues. I give it a two instead of a one because I’ve seen worse.

• Liked — Price and location (close to Sky Harbor)
  • Disliked — Safety/maintenance issues
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
GeneralMgr_CS, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport Phoenix, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
I can assure you, that all issues you brought up, had been addressed.
We went trough major renovation in 2009-2010 and if you're willing to give it a second try, you will be very pleasantly surprised. So if you visiting Tempe or Phoenix downtown, please stop by to check us out.
Thank you!

Been to Comfort Suites Airport Phoenix? Share your experiences!