“okay for business and convenient location” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 South Ash Avenue, Tempe, AZ 85281   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #23 of 46 hotels in Tempe
Clearwater, Florida
“okay for business and convenient location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2007

I stayed here for 5 nights and only slept good one of the five. The rate was high (group rate) for the property and the fact that the hotel is sandwiched between a condo construction site that is is open for work 24 hours a day and a railroad track that has trains going by hourly. It is a very convenient walk to dowtown, many shops and restaurants and the ASU campus. It is also a quick ride from the airport. You won't need to rent a car if you stay here.

Stayed March 2007

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Spokane,WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2007

I found this hotel to be very simialr to other Courtyards I have stayed in. The hotel is close to restaurants and very clean. The negative is the proximity to a large construction project and a train that runs nearby. I don't think the price that a person pays for a Courtyard is worth a hotel room this close to the train tracks.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2007

A friend and I stayed here while in Phoenix for the Rock 'n Roll Marathon. While I think this hotel was a good value, the biggest issue I found was that we heard a train pass right across the street about 3 times per night, including 3AM. I think the train has to blow it's whistle when coming through the city for safety reasons, but it was very loud and woke us up every night. The rooms were nice and the hotel was quite clean. It was a good location for the race being only a few blocks from the finish line. There were lots of restaurants nearby. The pool area/courtyard was very nice. There was no phone book in the room so we called the front desk to ask about the nearest movie theatre and they said they would call us back. I'm still waiting...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Train noise at all hours
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2006

Stayed at the Courtyard Tempe for a triathlon event on Oct. 29th. We got a decent room rate because it was the host hotel for our event. Upon arrival to when we left 4 days later, our stay was perfect. We were in a room on the second floor and never had an issue with noise. It was extremely quiet for its location, which was a top priority for me. Our room with 2 queen beds and the bathroom were spacious and tastefully decorated. The beds were the most comfortable we've ever slept in. The hotel offered laundry service (which we didn't need to use) as well as a washing machine & dryer located on our floor (I believe the same was available on the 3rd floor as well). A buffet style breakfast was served each morning, which was a bit pricey but offered a decent variety of hot and cold items and the one day when I only wanted a banana and bagel, the clerk was very nice about only charging me for the 2 items. Every employee we came into contact with was genuinely pleasant and went out of their way to help us. The location of the hotel was excellent. I parked my car upon arrival and only needed to use it once to pickup my husband from the airport which was extremely easy and convenient to get to. Everything that you could possibly need is within walking distance of the hotel, with a great variety of food establishments, bars (it is a college town!), coffee houses & various retail stores. The pay-per-view movie list is one of the most extensive that I've seen. While they don't offer room service, they do sell frozen dinners, snacks, sodas and juices in the lobby and have an area with complimentary water, coffee, microwave oven, big screen tv and computer with internet connection. Although we didn't use it during our stay, there is a very nice pool area with lots of chaise lounges and Jacuzzi. Can't say enough good things about Courtyard Tempe and will definitely stay there again when we’re back in town.

• Liked — The room was very quiet
  • Disliked — Tempe is an expensive town
  • Tips/Secrets — Hotel offers a free shuttle to/from the airport
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Durham, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2006

This hotel wasn't awful, it just wasn't good enough to warrant the price. I know it's a crapshoot when you reserve a room in an unfamiliar place, and it is my own fault that I didn't call the Tempe Mission Palms in time to stay *there*. Having said that, however, I would be embarrassed to charge what they charged me at the Courtyard considering the quality of the amenities.

The ice machines on the first and second floors were practically non-functioning, the whole place reeked of air freshener, the restaurant wasn't even open through dinner and the only room service offered was from a nearby chain restaurant. Still, it was conveniently located to my conference and none of those things was horrid enough to check out and go somewhere else for a couple of nights. It just galls me to be charged $280/nt to stay in what is essentially a 2-to-3 star hotel. If you have the option of staying the Tempe Mission Palms, it is a MUCH nicer place than this.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2006

My husband and I were in Tempe for the "Rock & Roll Marathon". We picked this hotel because of its location - close to the finish line and only 2 blocks from Mill Ave which has a great selection of restaurants. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and the room were clean. The only negative is that our room was across the street from a sports bar which played loud live music until late at night making it quite difficult to sleep without earplugs. I would stay there again however I would request a room on the other side of the hotel, away from the bar on 5th Street. Otherwise bring earplugs!

• Stayed January 2006
Tustin Ranch, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2005

This is the second stay I've had at this hotel and it was another great experience.
I stayed in a King Spa room for $129 a night. It has a King Bed, Two person Spa right next to your bed, 27 inch TV with pay movies, Refrigerator, and a big shower/bathroom.
I recommend staying on the bottom floor so you don't have to deal with the elevator. They have a buffet breakfast that is fine. About $8 per person.
I went in the pool which was fine as well. They also offer a gym which looked fine.
It's withing walking distance from Mill Street, Sun Devil Stadium, The Library, Hooters and the Mall. There's a sports bar accross the street called McDuffy's that was fun to get some drinks.
When I go back, this is where I'll stay. If your just there for a game then you don't need a car. It's about 8 miles from the airport. Just cab it in and walk everywhere you need to go.
The only bad thing is there is a train that runs behind the hotel, but I only heard it one time.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown? Share your experiences!