“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Tempe
Pensacola, Florida
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

In the heart of downtown. Easy walking distance to shopping, restaurants and entertainment.

Close to Skyharbor Airport. Free shuttle.

Can be noisy. Main fire station around the corner. Light rail line nearby.

Daily charge for parking.

Room was comfortable and clean. Size was modest by Courtyard standards. More like a standard Marriott.

Stayed July 2014
James O, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
We are pleased to hear about your stay at our Tempe Courtyard! You list many of the reasons why guests choose our hotel when traveling to Arizona. Our location is prefect for getting around the ASU campus, visiting nearby corporate offices and seeing the sites throughout the Valley of the Sun. With our complimentary shuttle to nearby places as well as the airport, convenience is a real benefit for any guests. In addition, the light rail is reasonable and provides transportation to the airport plus downtown Phoenix where guests can see Major League baseball or basketball games. We are happy you got a good night's sleep in our comfortable beds! That is a must for any traveler. Thanks for staying and please visit again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Lake Havasu City, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We ended up here after walking out of another hotel (See my review of the Tempe Ramada.) We were tired, and literally went to the first place I found on Tripadvisor. If I had taken the time to do more research, I probably would have selected another hotel. This one charges $8/night for parking, and was about 20% more per night than comparable hotels that offer breakfast. Even with AAA discount, it was just a little expensive for what it is. No breakfast, no coffee in the lobby... Just a high priced "bistro" that we didn't bother to try.
We were in the room on Saturday morning until about 10:30. At that time, I took the "do not disturb" sign off of the door, and expected the room to be made up when we returned at around 5. It wasn't. I asked the front desk if we could have maid service while we were out to dinner, and I was told there was no one available to do it, but I could get fresh towels from her. So, we paid much more than neighboring hotels, and didn't even get our room made up. A little disappointing for a Marriot. That said, the room was clean, beds were very comfy, and the airport noise wasn't an issue for us. The location is great, close to everything we were in town for. Staff was friendly. In a pinch I would stay here again, but I think I will shop a little more carefully next time we are in town.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
James O, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with others and are pleased you found the beds comfy and the staff friendly . With our downtown Tempe location we are close to everything you may need to visit from the campus to great dining and entertainment. Most places are within walking distance of the hotel. Thanks for the heads up about weekend maid service. We strive to provide the very best service and will be reviewing our weekend service practices.
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel is in a great location. Close to the airport and lots of places to grab a bite nearby. The place is clean and the staff is very nice. My room was big with a soft bed. Marriott will not let you down.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
James O, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
What a great compliment! It is our intention as a Marriott hotel to have every guest feel that we will not let you down. One of the best things we can do is provide you with a comfortable bed so you can get a good nights rest while traveling. Many guests enjoy our close proximity to the Phoenix Airport and that downtown Tempe is right out our parking lot with numerous restaurants and places to see. For ASU guests, the campus is also within walking distance! Our team will be pleased you found everyone treated you well! Nearby is our light rail to add extra options for those without transportation. Thanks for your review!
tempe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Plans fell thru and I ended up here instead. WOW!!!!! What a stroke of good fortune. Staff in all regards were outstanding. Pool wonderful. Quiet (yup there is a train now and then but NO biggie). Would stay again and would nof look elsewhere. Thank You!!!

• Stayed June 2014
James O, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
The very best compliment you could give us would be to return! Thank you sincerely for letting others know about your "Outstanding" service from all of our team! They will be pleased to know they WOWed you! Many guests also like the quiet of the pool area for swimming, sun bathing or simply relaxing with a meal or beverage. With our location so close to ASU's campus, many events and activities are within walking distance which eliminates the need to find parking. The famous Mill Avenue hosts so many great restaurants and entertainment sites, there really is something for everyone. We look forward to your return! Bring your friends!
Libertyville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The Courtyard is near campus. A lot of construction going on nearby. Great location tp be able to walk to Mill. Lobby clean and updated. Rooms clean and average. Overall a good hotel and I'll repeat next time on business.

Room Tip: rooms viewing the courtyard are preferred and quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
James O, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Saying you intend to return is the BEST compliment our guests can give us! We are all pleased you found our hotel both nice and consistent. We are proud to have the new look of Courtyard for our guests and know that our location is perfect for anyone wanting to take advantage of the nearby ASU campus activities. So much in our neighborhood is within walking distance for great restaurants, coffee shops and other venues. For the adventurous, we are close to the Phoenix Light Rail which can get you around the city for a minimal cost. We do look forward to seeing you in the future!
Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Corporate decided, 'No free coffee or tea in the lobby in the morning'. I decided, 'Not going to stay here anymore', I get it - you think I am shallow but I simply have to have my two cups of coffee minimum every morning to get moving and not the one disk of coffee or decaf, (no tea - sorry tea lovers) and a Dixie cup. Other option, r you can go down to the coffee bar and wait forever for a Starbucks. Well, guess what corporate, I am not coming back to your hotel - how is that for saving money. To this, I must add, this is not a good hotel for kids. The selections on the menu are few and the prices are high. The rooms are nice enough but if you miss the time the maid comes you are calling down for towels and of course a fresh disk of coffee and Dixie cup. So are the rooms clean? Yes they are fine. Are the beds comfortable? Again, yes. But after you stand in line forever for coffee or tea and pay $$$ for a the horrible looking food in the cooler, stale muffin, over ripe banana, tiny portion size everything, etc., the reasons for staying here minimizes. You can do better for these prices. Corporate - get a clue!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
James O, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
As a coffee lover, I do understand your wanting your daily dose of caffeine! My next step will be to pass along your comments. Most of our guests have been pleased that we serve Starbucks beverages in the lobby vs. spending the time looking for a nearby coffee shop. My apologies to you as this does not appear to suit your preferences. As a suggestion for any hotel you visit, ask the front desk agent for additional supplies you may need in the room. They can easily arrange for them to be delivered on a daily basis as needed. I am happy you enjoyed the room, comfortable bed and the cleanliness of the hotel.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed for one night and got here quite late. I was really in need of a nice clean room and comfortable bed and I got it. I try to stay in independent hotels and B&B's as it can feel to me that chain hotels could be the same anywhere in the world. However I would not be that unhappy in this case as my room was spotless, and the bed and linens really good quality. After all that's all I want in a hotel really, a decent nights sleep.

Green Features: Could have had a recycle bin in the room for plastic bottles or paper/card?
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
James O, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Your review validates all we strive to do for our guests which is mainly to provide a great night’s sleep! But also to create an experience that is exceptional and allows guests to relax and be energized by how friendly the staff is and how clean the rooms are! Thanks for letting others know of your great stay!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown? Share your experiences!