“Yeah for COLD Air Conditioning!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 South Ash Avenue, Tempe, AZ 85281   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #23 of 46 hotels in Tempe
Dallas, Texas
“Yeah for COLD Air Conditioning!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed here while moving our daughter into ASU. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. They offered to store some of our luggage (my daughter had ALOT) to make our room more comfortable and helped us dispose of extra boxes we acquired from purchasing stuff our daughter needed. However, the room was spacious enough that it held all the luggage without making us feel cramped up. The room was very comfortable and the cold AC was great after some long hot days out in the Arizona sun (it also stayed on at night and didn't have the motion detector cut-off we've seen in other hotels). Some of the other reviews said they heard train noises outside their windows - we heard none of that. Also, they have hot coffee and flavored creamers in the lobby in the AM which was much better than the coffee they supplied in the room. All in all, a solid choice and great customer service for what was a somewhat stressful event for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
James O, Property Coordinator at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Moving your daughter into ASU is an exciting yet emotional time. We are pleased to be able to offer assistance with additional bags and boxes during the process. Our team will be pleased to learn you found them friendly and helpful as that is our goal for every guest experience! Many guests love the option to have Starbucks right in our lobby throughout the day and evening. During the heat of our summer months we know how important great air conditioning becomes for our guests. I am pleased you found comfort both day and night! While we are located along the train route through Tempe, our special windows eliminate the noise as they pass through the city. As you visit your daughter throughout her college years, we look forward to welcoming you to our hotel. Please stop in to say hello!

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The front desk staff and van driver provided excellent service. I had forgot several items for a business meeting and did not realize until a few hours before my meeting. The morning was busy this morning, but he was able to work in a quick trip to a local store for me and never missed his scheduled runs. I made my meeting with time to spare. THanks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Mesa, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We used this location as our hotel base for our 20 year reunion that took place at Macayo's Depot Cantina just down the street. And it was perfect for what it was! A well priced, conveniently located hotel that was clean and quiet. We had no outside noise in our room, never heard anyone in the halls, slept great in the uber comfy bed & super clean room and enjoyed the clean pool area. The only HUGE wish would be to provide complimentary coffee/water in the lobby. The lobby did have a nice little bistro with reasonably priced food and drinks and also had cool little niches to munch and your own TV to watch whatever you wanted. Overall, it was wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone. I was hoping as the coordinator of the reunion/group booking we would have been able to receive a complimentary upgrade but was told that wasn't a possibility. It wasn't a big deal but it would have been a nice little touch.

Room Tip: 3rd floor facing the courtyard was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Booked the hotel with free breakfast, and when we asked for the free breakfast, starbucks kiosk person said no free buffet. We were in a rush for an ASU appointment and paid just under $20 for seemingly micro french toast and oatmeal. I could not find the receipt later in the day for a refund. The desk person looked through the receipts, but then realized that cash puchases do not generate a hotel copy. I was to seek out the kiosk person the next day to see if she recalled me and our order...
We found out that we are to sign a full room charge, and the computer will determine if the charge goes on our bill. I am annoyed at myself for losing the receipt, and the hotel for the lack of clarity on their procedures. It's only $20, but I'm annoyed. We usually seek out Marriotts, but in our next few appointments at ASU I will look at the other hotels serving the campus.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Woodstock, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

If you're visiting your family at Arizona State, I highly recommend this hotel. Perched on the edge of campus (well...a few blocks away) and a block from popular Mill Street, this location was perfect for my stay for my son's graduation convocation at Gammage (within walking distance). My room décor was modern and inviting, the bed most comfortable and amenities plentiful (the only one missing was body lotion--a necessity in "Arid-zona!"). The common areas were spacious and well-designed. Meals were available but I didn't eat at the hotel at all. It looked as if many did, but I chose to dine elsewhere with friends and family as I was traveling alone. The desk staff was extremely helpful at all times.

The only drawbacks to this spot were two: an undersized parking lot--I had to park in an adjoining city lot which was a little inconvenient--looking for a spot, not finding one, having to come back inside to find out where I could possibly park--but the hotel has an agreement with the city, and I was given a parking tag I could show to the parking lot attendant. My other complaint that I probably should have addressed while I was there, but chose not to, was my room had a strange odor at times. I'm pretty sure it was coming from the tub drain--I've smelled it before at my own home when the drain needs cleaning and stuff starts to decompose. I just kept the bathroom door closed. I'd wondered why the bathroom light/fan was on when I checked in. I'm guessing the cleaning staff had noticed this, too.

All in all, the downsides would definitely NOT be enough for me to stay elsewhere during my next Tempe stay. An "Excellent" rating is only a free breakfast away! (this location charges for their breakfasts)

Room Tip: Rooms NOT facing Mill Street will probably be quieter. Mine faced that direction, and there was a bi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed at the Courtyard while doing a college visit to the ASU campus, the location is walking distance of the campus and many restaurant choices as well. The hotel is very nice, appears all rooms and common areas have been updated except the elevators, however it is only a three story property so we didn't have a need for the elevators anyway. Will absolutely stay here again!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed one night at this very pleasant property in order to enjoy the Mill avenue "night scene". It was a great experience. Very helpful staff gave us a quiet room on the west side so the morning sun did not bother us and we had a lovely breakfast in the lobby before heading back home. The price was right for a spotless room and a very comfy bed.

Room Tip: Third floor, west side of the building. Do not buy "breakfast" with your room package, it...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown? Share your experiences!