“Nice hotel, free breakfast confusion” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Sleep In & Save 20%!
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
new york
“Nice hotel, free breakfast confusion”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Booked the hotel with free breakfast, and when we asked for the free breakfast, starbucks kiosk person said no free buffet. We were in a rush for an ASU appointment and paid just under $20 for seemingly micro french toast and oatmeal. I could not find the receipt later in the day for a refund. The desk person looked through the receipts, but then realized that cash puchases do not generate a hotel copy. I was to seek out the kiosk person the next day to see if she recalled me and our order...
We found out that we are to sign a full room charge, and the computer will determine if the charge goes on our bill. I am annoyed at myself for losing the receipt, and the hotel for the lack of clarity on their procedures. It's only $20, but I'm annoyed. We usually seek out Marriotts, but in our next few appointments at ASU I will look at the other hotels serving the campus.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Woodstock, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

If you're visiting your family at Arizona State, I highly recommend this hotel. Perched on the edge of campus (well...a few blocks away) and a block from popular Mill Street, this location was perfect for my stay for my son's graduation convocation at Gammage (within walking distance). My room décor was modern and inviting, the bed most comfortable and amenities plentiful (the only one missing was body lotion--a necessity in "Arid-zona!"). The common areas were spacious and well-designed. Meals were available but I didn't eat at the hotel at all. It looked as if many did, but I chose to dine elsewhere with friends and family as I was traveling alone. The desk staff was extremely helpful at all times.

The only drawbacks to this spot were two: an undersized parking lot--I had to park in an adjoining city lot which was a little inconvenient--looking for a spot, not finding one, having to come back inside to find out where I could possibly park--but the hotel has an agreement with the city, and I was given a parking tag I could show to the parking lot attendant. My other complaint that I probably should have addressed while I was there, but chose not to, was my room had a strange odor at times. I'm pretty sure it was coming from the tub drain--I've smelled it before at my own home when the drain needs cleaning and stuff starts to decompose. I just kept the bathroom door closed. I'd wondered why the bathroom light/fan was on when I checked in. I'm guessing the cleaning staff had noticed this, too.

All in all, the downsides would definitely NOT be enough for me to stay elsewhere during my next Tempe stay. An "Excellent" rating is only a free breakfast away! (this location charges for their breakfasts)

Room Tip: Rooms NOT facing Mill Street will probably be quieter. Mine faced that direction, and there was a bi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed at the Courtyard while doing a college visit to the ASU campus, the location is walking distance of the campus and many restaurant choices as well. The hotel is very nice, appears all rooms and common areas have been updated except the elevators, however it is only a three story property so we didn't have a need for the elevators anyway. Will absolutely stay here again!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed one night at this very pleasant property in order to enjoy the Mill avenue "night scene". It was a great experience. Very helpful staff gave us a quiet room on the west side so the morning sun did not bother us and we had a lovely breakfast in the lobby before heading back home. The price was right for a spotless room and a very comfy bed.

Room Tip: Third floor, west side of the building. Do not buy "breakfast" with your room package, it...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Ramon, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a business trip and this property met all my needs. The check-in was smooth, efficient and they remembered me by name from previous stay. The parking lot was very full and only a couple of vacant spaces. There is an additional fee of $7.00 for parking. The lobby is open, spacious and well designed. This hotel is a very popular one in the area. There is an outdoor pool with lounge chairs and Fitness Center.

The lobby amenities include to the right of the reception, a small "market" for drinks, snacks, frozen meals/microwave, etc. There are free computers, free Wifi and boarding pass printing, Go Board, as well as, The Bistro and Lobby Bar for breakfast, lunch and dinner with Starbucks coffee. I was disappointed there wasn't a free offering of continental breakfast or something/anything like fruit, pastry, bagel.

The surrounding area has great restaurants within walking distance and I highly recommend Gordon Biersch for delicious food and friendly service. I love the nearby Arizona Mills Outlet Mall too.

My room was on the ground level and had a sofa, desk with outlets for laptop and charging devices, good for business traveler. Free Internet, LCD TV, ergo desk chair. The bathroom counter was small, no robe. The toiletries and in room coffee service disappointing quality. The tub/shower combo and toilet is separate. I always hate the wall units for heating and air conditioning.

I think for what it is, it is a decent value for the price, we had a corporate rate. I like that you can walk to a nice variety of restaurants for dinner.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with a large group for 1 week. Staff were amazing, helpful, bright, courteous and professional. Good range for breakfast including healthy options. Location was fantastic and transport even dropped you off to the local malls when they weren't doing airport runs. Gym was adequate.
Positives: Clean rooms. Not noisy. Hot powerful showers. The staff. Location. Good speeds to the free Internet.
Bad: no healthy food options after the restaurant was closed ( minor)
Overall: would definitely stay again if in Tempe.

• Stayed May 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

This Marriott has location on its side. Close to ASU & the airport. Walking distance to plenty of bars & restaurants. Rooms are small & airplanes fly directly over. The pool is small but clean & towels are put out daily. We stayed with points which made this a great choice.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown? Share your experiences!