“A bit noisy but clean, convenient and nice staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Sleep In & Save 20%!
Ranked #23 of 46 hotels in Tempe
Seattle, Washington
“A bit noisy but clean, convenient and nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The room was a standard looking room, with a tiny bathroom counter that didn't fit all my stuff. Nothing was exceptional but nothing was bad either. Pretty much what I'd expect from a Courtyard Marriott hotel. It was clean and easy to get to downtown Tempe which was good enough for me. The staff were very helpful and friendly in a genuine way, which was enough for me to bump up an average sort of hotel to a 4 star rating.

Pros: close to downtown Tempe and lots of restaurants and bars, shuttle to/from the airport
Cons: can be noisy because its so close to everything; I was on the first floor and you can hear people at night walking back from bars

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
James O, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
We appreciate your 4 star rating as our team prides itself on making a difference to our guests by keeping it clean and providing friendly and helpful service every step of the way. Our great location to restaurants, shopping, corporations and campus activities is such a plus. Many are within walking distance. We hope to see you on another business trip to Phoenix.

Jim O’Meara

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in late March using Marriott points. Overall, the location of the hotel was excellent. We were able to get by without a car which saved the rental car cost and the cost of parking ($8 a day). The hotel shuttle picked us up at the airport quite promptly and the driver was very nice.

From the hotel, you can walk to many restaurants, the ASU campus and a shuttle that will take you to the Angels spring training ballpark. The hotel shuttle driver said he would also take us to places within 5 miles of the hotel but we never used that service.

The pool was decent for a Courtyard. It got sun from 10am on and had plenty of chairs. We never ate at the mini restaurant but did buy a few snacks from the lobby.

There were two negatives to our stay. Our room faced the train tracks and a busy intersection and we heard a lot of noise all night long. It is impossible to get a good night's sleep unless you are a very deep sleeper. I'm guessing other rooms might be better and wonder if we got this room since we were using points?

Also, the hotel was having major problems with TV channels during our stay. The first two days we couldn't even get CBS which was disappointing during March Madness. After complaining on the third day to the front desk, they said they couldn't do anything but then asked our room number. Miraculously, about an hour and one half later all of our stations were working. Not sure if they did something or if it was a coincidence. The attitude of those at the desk on that day was less than helpful so my husband thinks it was just luck that it started working.

Housekeeping during our stay was very good. Even if we just left for an hour or two, the room was made up when we returned. This was greatly appreciated.

We would definitely consider this hotel again in the future, but would try to get a quieter room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Ramon, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We chose this hotel because of the close proximity to food, public transportation and A's Spring Training Baseball! The shuttle picked us up quickly at the airport and drove us right to the ballpark, letting us catch the first pitch...even after a delayed flight! The driver was incredibly nice, as was the gentleman that checked up in later that afternoon, and everyone else we came into contact with. Our room was clean and very comfortable with a nice patio facing the pool. The pool was a little cool for my taste, but we enjoyed the spa. We really appreciated being able to walk to/from Mill Ave. for morning coffee, to catch the lightrail up to the park, and to have dinner at one of the many, many nearby restaurants. We will definitely consider this hotel again if we return for Spring Training!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I attended a workshop in Tempe downtown and this hotel was within walking distance so good location. On the last day in town, I booked a hotel elsewhere for a lower rate and I asked if the hotel would match it (without me having to unpack and move). I was pleasantly surprised by the front counter personnel that they would honour the lower rate, so I saved some money. Consider that I stayed with them for 4 nights and the Friday evening was not a busy time for room bookings, still it was perceived by me to be excellent service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ontario, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I travel quite a bit for work and stay at my fair share of Courtyards. It isn't often you can find one of the cheaper options in such a great location. I had business in Tempe, PHX, Tucson and Flagstaff. I don't like to change hotels everynight so I generally pick something central and deal with the drives so I don't have to pack up every morning. This was a perfect choice. The downtown is walking distance with a ton of restaurants. Parking was easy.

Downsides to this Courtyard compared to others include the smaller gym size (really small), older elevators, and because of the layout if you have a room on the opposite side of the bulding from the front check-in area you will do a fair share of walking down the hallway on the way to your room. As a younger female traveling alone I don't prefer this but I felt safe enough.

The staff was friendly and the restaurant downstairs does get busy in the morning and evenings. If you need to grab breakfast quickly in the morning call ahead and order it before you leave your room to cut on wait time.

Room Tip: Choose something closer to the lobby to avoid having to lug your bags down the hallways.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotel was very disappointing--especially for the price. The rooms were outdated. The staff was snotty. The pool was average. Gym was small.

The only redeeming quality was the location--which is fantastic. You can easily walk to lots of restaurants and shops.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
James O, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
While it is never easy to view how someone who is disappointed rates our hotel, it is imperative that we hear from you so we can take action to correct your perception. Yes, we do have an amazing location in Downtown Tempe near the ASU campus; lots of dining and activities are within walking distance. That does not mean we can skip the important part about being customer focused! While we cannot change the pool size or the gym, we can get back to basics and compensate with exceptional service. Please contact me directly to provide additional feedback so we can begin the process of making this your first choice in Tempe! Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Jim O’Meara
Staten Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am a Marriott Gold status- and yes this is a good location but the hotel itself is no where to Courtyard Marriott standards that I have stayed at in the past. The rooms are not the latest updated version- the floors in my room were stained and the room itself has a stench. I also would advise anyone over the age of 30 staying here to know this is right on the college campus area and of coarse often filled with college students etc. We encountered a college couple arguing, slamming room doors and going up and down the elevator from 2:00AM-4:00AM. Granted security went and spoke to them but in a typcial Courtyard Marriott most travelers are not that rude. I would not recommend risky your vacation at a hotel this close to a college environment unless that's what your looking for. I did place a call to the GM and am still waiting to hear back from them about my awful experience. I will say the girl at the front desk was kind- kudos to her!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
James O, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We certainly appreciate your review so we can see first-hand how you felt about your visit to our hotel! Of course, the cleanliness of your room is unacceptable to us and I apologize for it’s less than stellar appearance. We are definitely a part of the college community and do host groups attending functions on campus. That does not give them permission to spoil others’ sleep! While I am pleased your concerns were taken care of by both security and the front desk staff, please know we constantly look for ways to eliminate the need for your calls in the middle of the night. We do appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and your Gold Status. While we did not serve you well at this location, it is my hope that future stays at other Marriott hotels will exceed your expectations!

James O’Meara

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown? Share your experiences!