“Convenient location for Soma Triathlon and Ironman” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Sleep In & Save 20%!
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in Tempe
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Convenient location for Soma Triathlon and Ironman”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was a wonderful hotel that my family will likely go back to stay with again. It's convenient and close to stores (we got our baby supplies at Whole Foods and Safeway, < 5 miles away), and it's in walking distance (about 2 blocks) from the start/finish lines for the Soma Triathlon and AZ Ironman. The staff was very accomodating to us, since we traveled with our infant, and they provided a pack and play for her to sleep in, as well as a refrigerator. The bed is very comfortable, just like we want it (my husband wants to buy one to replace ours). When we had issues with the sink not draining, they immediately tried to resolve the issue, and when they couldn't- sent help so we can move rooms. They totally (I feel) went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. The cafe downstairs was reasonable for us (<$40 per meal) for breakfast and dinner and Starbucks was available 24/7. We wished it offered lunch too, although a lot of restaurants are in the Mill Ave area, about < 10 minutes walk. ZTejas is just beyond the hotel parking lot, so that too was great. Very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Upper floor was great, because it seemed quieter. If people are outside your door talking though, y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
James O, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
We appreciate your review via Trip Advisor! It is rewarding to learn that our team was able to assist in many ways to make your stay comfortable for you and your little one. Our guests do enjoy the location to Tempe activities and the amenities of the hotel to ease the stress travel can often bring! We look forward to a repeat visit someday.

James O'Meara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The location is amazing just one block from Mill Avenue, restaurants, the campus, and the college sports arenas. The lobby is large and great for sitting around talking with friends, enjoying a drink or reading a book. Pool is also big and plenty of sitting areas around it. Staff was friendly and helpful as well.

Some people had complained about train noise so I was a little nervous but I didn't notice any noise at all. I could visibly see a train from my room but the double windows keep all of the noise out. My wife and I never had a problem.

This is the BEST HOTEL IN TEMPE!

Room Tip: Get a king room because most of these will have a balcony!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The location of the hotel is perfect for Mill Ave area restaurants and shops. There are plenty of choices for food at all price ranges. It is a short walk to the light rail station for an easy ride into downtown Phoenix for sporting events - only $3.50 round trip. There is a free shuttle to PHX airport which makes this hotel a great location for doing many different activities around the Phoenix area.
The hotel room was normal courtyard style. The AC was a little loud but worked great. I did not eat at the hotel, but there is a small restaurant there with a few TVs for sports in the lobby. The free wifi worked very well.
There were a lot of external door entries into the hotel which concerned me. But, there are multiple security cameras around the building that were monitored at the front desk.
The price was a little high for courtyard level, but the location, free hotel shuttle, cheap light rail should all be considered when making your hotel decision. These extras have a lot of value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Every single person from the shuttle driver to the desk staff, housekeeping and grounds, with whom I interacted here was gracious and helpful. The place is spotlessly maintained and I had a room right off the lobby with easy access to the pool. I was able to get oatmeal and soymilk at the cafe for breakfast and a free ride in the shuttle for lunch and dinner. The pool had comfortable lounge chairs with towels laid out - a touch I'd expect more at a resort than a courtyard. It wasn't a huge pool but I was able to do laps. Quite close the University of Arizona where I was lecturing and lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The first room I got was never cleaned so I had to walk back to the front desk. The second room was hot and ac did not work so I had to walk back again to the front desk. The third room was better but the ac also had issues. It was midnight and I was tired of walking so I kept and sweated all night. If you need to lose weight I recommend this hotel, if not I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I was skeptical about staying here instead of a Marriott resort but was immediately blown away. Everyone was so friendly and the property is well kept. Since we were traveling with our children, I was worried they weren't going to have a great time in the pool. It's nothing special but I was completely wrong. They had a blast! I would recommend staying here. It is very close to the ASU campus and there are lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view :)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I travel to Phoenix area mostly for work, but sometimes just for fun. I stayed here on the first occasion randomly passing through on a roadtrip with my bestfriend. We got to the hotel late and after a night out in Vegas. Needless to say, I knew the potential of the hotel's location from all the reviews I read beforehand; however, we didn't take advantage of being walking distance to the center of ASU social scene... awesome bars, excellent restaurants and cool little shops. I've been back several times since (at least once a month) and it just keeps getting better. The first night, we had the unlucky view of the huge parking lot with a peek into the Mill Ave District and I had no idea there was even a pool. But hello - this is Phoenix, it's hot as hell most of the time - of course there was pool. I have found myself sneaking out of work early some days to lay by the pool and soak up the glorious sun! However, one of my best finds was the Bistro Lounge in the lobby. Usually I spend minimal time in the hotel lobbies, outside of check-in. But the hotel garb boasts this "Bistro - eat.drink.connect." Well let me tell you - I am more and more impressed every time I'm here. Usually I get stuck doing work in the hotel for one of the nights and this Bistro is a little gem. I've ordered something different each time now, and regardless if you're hungry, hungry or just need a snack - the portion sizes are big and the price is right. Be prepared to hang out, have a beer or a cocktail, while you're waiting for your food. It's a one-man show - but he is great cook and takes pride in the taste and presentation of his food. I will not stay anywhere else when I come to Phoenix, or any of the surrounding areas, for that matter - this hotel has got it all and it just keeps getting better!!

Room Tip: The rooms with the parking lot view are very bright in the morning - so if you're not a morning...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tempe Downtown? Share your experiences!