“Wonderful when needed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1031 East Apache Boulevard, Tempe, AZ 85281 (Formerly Tempe University Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
Iowa
“Wonderful when needed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We had to come to Arizona as my mother had passed away. The front desk staff was awesome when we checked in on the 10th of January 2014 at 230pm mst. The room was clean and wonderful Breakfast was hot and always had plenty. I would say this will be my only place to stay when I come to visit Arizona We stayed for 5 nights and everything was awesome

Room Tip: all the rooms are great
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
DrRobinRushlo ~

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. We are sorry to hear about your mothers passing.

We are glad that the staff was able to take care of you. I will make sure and pass along your kind words.

We do hope to see you again the next time you are visiting Tempe.

Take Care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This was my second visit here and I found the staff to be much friendlier than the first visit. Davin greeted us with a warm smile and helpful attitude every time we encountered him. But, all the staff were very helpful and friendly. The local & airport shuttle service available to guests is a great feature. The drivers were very accommodating and Luis and our driver who took us to the airport (sorry, I didn't get his name - African-American gentleman with glasses) were both great. The close proximity to the light rail stop is another added bonus as well.

The rooms were clean and nicely appointed. Love the high shower head as I am a tall guy! The beds were very comfortable, too. The breakfast was great and had a good selection. Staff kept it well-stocked, even in the midst of a high-school wrestling team descending upon it!

My only criticism is the WiFi was very poor quality. It clearly does not have adequate bandwidth to support a full house. The first day, the hotel was not full and it was decent, but even then, the signal was weak and still somewhat slow. Once the hotel filled up, it was almost impossible to use the WiFi as it was literally slower than dial-up unless you used it very early in the morning before everyone got up. I opted to use my 4G smartphone instead as it was much quicker.

Aside from the WiFi, it was a most enjoyable stay and I will look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are more quiet as the wooden-frame building tends to make for noise overhead on lowe...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Joe M ~

Thanks for taking the time to review.. We value your feedback as it gives us direction on areas that need to be improved.

We appreciate you coming and staying with us again and glad that this time our staff was friendly. We appreciate the kind words and will make sure and pass them along.

Also we appreciate you bring up the interent issue and will pass along the comments to our provider.

We look forward in seeing you again the next time your travel needs bring you back to Tempe.

Take Care and Happy New Year!
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

I wanted a hotel for my trip to Phoenix to attend the PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIP game at Sun Devil Stadium:

Here were my criteria for a hotel:
- well known brand
- nicer than the Best Western types
- walking distance from Mill Ave
- walking distance from Sun Devil Stadium

This hotel was perfect. There are hotels that are closer to Sun Devil Stadium and Mill Ave but they were sold out. That being said, on my next trip for a similar purpose, I will stay at this hotel again.

Excellent friendly staff (Rashad (and the other guy who picked my up at PHX) were both fantastic - great to hear about how much they liked their student life at ASU - yes, complimentary shuttle to and from PHX)

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Ssaikia ~

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property while in town to watch the Pac 12 Championship game. We are glad you found our hotel to be apporiate for what you were looking for.

We are glad you were able to utlize the complientary shuttle.

We look forward in having you as a guest again the next time your travel needs bring you to Tempe.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We went to Tempe, AZ for business. I always choose the IHG hotels for the points. This time, I was not wrong. They provided us excellent service from the moment we were picked up at the Airport until we were dropped off again. The Shuttle Drivers were awesome as they took us almost everyplace we needed (5Mi Radius) with no delays. They even waited for us. The Front Desk Personnel was awesome too and the room was neat an clean. I would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Nothing to add.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Jesusjruiz ~

Thanks for your review! We appreciate and value your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with and for your loyalty. We look forward in having you back again!

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

In town for work and since most of my work revolved around ASU, I wanted to stay close so I could walk to campus. This holiday inn is about half a mile from the south east end of campus.

I didn't have a car in Tempe so was happy to see that the hotel offered complimentary local shuttle service, including airport pick-up and drop-off. I called the hotel after I arrived at the Phoenix airport and within 15 minutes I was on the shuttle heading to the hotel. In addition to using the shuttle for the airport, I also asked to be dropped off at ASU one morning because I was running late. The staff knows the ASU campus well and dropped me off close to the academic building I needed.

The hotel is your standard business hotel and I found most things to be satisfactory. The room was pretty spacious with a desk for work and the bed was comfortable. Bath & Body Works toiletries were provided, which was a nice surprise. Breakfast isn't gourmet, but eggs and meat were available each morning and that's all I needed.

A couple of things that could be improved upon:
* Wifi service on the 3rd floor wasn't very strong. I stayed 3 days and the most I got was 3 bars for wifi signal. For a business hotel, I think this is one thing that should be fixed right away, perhaps adding a second router on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
* Some towels were a little old and scratchy. Maybe it's time to upgrade some of the towels?

Overall the pluses outweighed the negatives and I would definitely stay here again should I be in Tempe again, for work or pleasure. Luis, one of the staff there, was super friendly and gave very good recommendations for local restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Xlixx004 ~

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. We enjoy getting feedback from our guest. We are glad you found our property to work out for you while visiting ASU. Also glad you were able to utlize our shuttle.

We look forward in having you a guest again the next time your travel needs bring you to Tempe.

Simsbury, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Nothing but great experiences here, looks to be recently updated, squeaky clean, walking distance to ASU. This is our 2nd stay here, the first being last year when myself and daughter checked out the ASU campus. She liked the collage and we liked the hotel, so this is where we stayed while setting up my daughter at ASU. We arrived quite a bit before check in time, but since my daughter was not feeling well asked if we could check in early. They said no problem, and gave us a room immediately. Turns out the room they gave us was still being cleaned, so we went back to the lobby to wait. The person on the desk asked why we weren't yet in our room? We told him the room was still being cleaned. He was very apologetic and upgraded us to a suite for our trouble. Our trouble? We were there over three hours before check in.....so declined the upgrade, but he insisted. The morning breakfast is good, with the menu changing daily to keep it interesting. Never saw a shortage of food as others had mentioned. Like I said, the whole staff is great, Louis is our favorite at the front desk and even remembered us from our stay last year. If you want a clean friendly place to stay with one of the best staffs you'll ever experience, look no farther!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Brad B ~

Thanks for a great review! We love hearing from our guest and glad you had a great experience on your first visit that you came back again.

We hope that your daughter enjoys ASU and look forward in seeing you again when you come down to visit.

Plover, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights while attending ASU orientation June 24-27, 2013. The hotel was fantastic in every way. Free shuttle to and from the airport, and available to get you to restaurants, shopping, etc.Drivers Brian and Louis took excellent care of us. The hotel is basically across the street from campus. Great staff...Alex, at the front desk was extremely helpful and friendly, he welcomed us back every evening when we returned to the hotel and asked about our day. Breakfast was good, hotel was very clean and kept up...we loved all the pillows and comfortable beds. Pool was clean and great to cool off in after a long hot day. Can't say enough good things about the staff...they really seemed to go above and beyond and genuinely care about guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
SharonPlover81 -

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We love hearing what are guest have say and it looks like our staff took great care of you.

We hope to see you back while visiting your ASU student.

Regional Director of Sales

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University? Share your experiences!