“Perhaps between "average" and "very good"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1031 East Apache Boulevard, Tempe, AZ 85281 (Formerly Tempe University Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 46 hotels in Tempe
Washington, DC
“Perhaps between "average" and "very good"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

In town for work and since most of my work revolved around ASU, I wanted to stay close so I could walk to campus. This holiday inn is about half a mile from the south east end of campus.

I didn't have a car in Tempe so was happy to see that the hotel offered complimentary local shuttle service, including airport pick-up and drop-off. I called the hotel after I arrived at the Phoenix airport and within 15 minutes I was on the shuttle heading to the hotel. In addition to using the shuttle for the airport, I also asked to be dropped off at ASU one morning because I was running late. The staff knows the ASU campus well and dropped me off close to the academic building I needed.

The hotel is your standard business hotel and I found most things to be satisfactory. The room was pretty spacious with a desk for work and the bed was comfortable. Bath & Body Works toiletries were provided, which was a nice surprise. Breakfast isn't gourmet, but eggs and meat were available each morning and that's all I needed.

A couple of things that could be improved upon:
* Wifi service on the 3rd floor wasn't very strong. I stayed 3 days and the most I got was 3 bars for wifi signal. For a business hotel, I think this is one thing that should be fixed right away, perhaps adding a second router on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
* Some towels were a little old and scratchy. Maybe it's time to upgrade some of the towels?

Overall the pluses outweighed the negatives and I would definitely stay here again should I be in Tempe again, for work or pleasure. Luis, one of the staff there, was super friendly and gave very good recommendations for local restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Xlixx004 ~

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. We enjoy getting feedback from our guest. We are glad you found our property to work out for you while visiting ASU. Also glad you were able to utlize our shuttle.

We look forward in having you a guest again the next time your travel needs bring you to Tempe.

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Simsbury, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Nothing but great experiences here, looks to be recently updated, squeaky clean, walking distance to ASU. This is our 2nd stay here, the first being last year when myself and daughter checked out the ASU campus. She liked the collage and we liked the hotel, so this is where we stayed while setting up my daughter at ASU. We arrived quite a bit before check in time, but since my daughter was not feeling well asked if we could check in early. They said no problem, and gave us a room immediately. Turns out the room they gave us was still being cleaned, so we went back to the lobby to wait. The person on the desk asked why we weren't yet in our room? We told him the room was still being cleaned. He was very apologetic and upgraded us to a suite for our trouble. Our trouble? We were there over three hours before check in.....so declined the upgrade, but he insisted. The morning breakfast is good, with the menu changing daily to keep it interesting. Never saw a shortage of food as others had mentioned. Like I said, the whole staff is great, Louis is our favorite at the front desk and even remembered us from our stay last year. If you want a clean friendly place to stay with one of the best staffs you'll ever experience, look no farther!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Brad B ~

Thanks for a great review! We love hearing from our guest and glad you had a great experience on your first visit that you came back again.

We hope that your daughter enjoys ASU and look forward in seeing you again when you come down to visit.

Plover, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights while attending ASU orientation June 24-27, 2013. The hotel was fantastic in every way. Free shuttle to and from the airport, and available to get you to restaurants, shopping, etc.Drivers Brian and Louis took excellent care of us. The hotel is basically across the street from campus. Great staff...Alex, at the front desk was extremely helpful and friendly, he welcomed us back every evening when we returned to the hotel and asked about our day. Breakfast was good, hotel was very clean and kept up...we loved all the pillows and comfortable beds. Pool was clean and great to cool off in after a long hot day. Can't say enough good things about the staff...they really seemed to go above and beyond and genuinely care about guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
SharonPlover81 -

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We love hearing what are guest have say and it looks like our staff took great care of you.

We hope to see you back while visiting your ASU student.

Rescue, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stay at Holiday Inn Express facilities often when we're on the road, and this one measures up to the others in terms of cleanliness and breakfast offerings. However, the bathroom in our room (we had a room with two queens) was much less guest friendly than the bathrooms in other HIE motels we've stayed in. The sink area (across from the room that contained the toilet and tub) was tiny and cramped, and there was practically no counter space on which to place our toiletries. We had to put them on the floor when we were using them, and the hairdryer kept threatening to slip into the sink whenever we laid it down during use. The room itself was also smaller than those we've experienced elsewhere, but it was fine for our purposes. The front-desk staff was great when we checked in and even surprised us with a "welcome" bag containing bottled water and microwave popcorn. (Unfortunately, our room lacked a microwave--there was a hole by the refrigerator that probably contained a microwave at one time.) We were there only one night, so the shortcomings weren't too bad, but the small bathroom would have been more annoying if we'd stayed longer. Undoubtedly, there are other rooms with more user-friendly setups.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Adrienne ~

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.. We appreciate the feedback from our guest as it gives us direction on areas that need improvement.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope that the next time you are in Tempe we will see you again.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had a wonderful trip! The staff at the hotel made us feel so comfortable even though they were really busy the hotel was clean and the breakfast was great!! My Mom is 83 they took great care of her too. Made sure my directions were very clear when we explored! I got lost coming from Masa and the desk clerk got me on track and right there!!

Room Tip: Was perfect for us!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I wanted to lovvvvve my stay here. I booked 4 rooms with the most fantastic person in the world, the manager Louise, and everything went off without a hitch. The staff here is decent (except the shuttle bus driver...but I'll get to that). The hotel itself is clean and quiet for the most part, so if you're just looking for a place to sleep, you'll be happy.

Let's start off with my least favorite person/people on the trip...The shuttle bus driver. The man does NOTHING all day. We were in a group of 8 and we asked for a shuttle ride 3 times and were denied 3 times. The first time, 2 people flew into the airport and needed a ride to the hotel, they called the hotel and they said that "he didn't show up for work" but if they took a cab, they would be reimbursed. Well, that was nice and much appreciated by them. The second time we tried to utilize the shuttle was to take us to Hohokam, but the shuttle bus driver said he "might be to busy to take us". Ummm, isn't that your job? I mean, to take people places. I was promised by the hotel that you would take us there...but you're too busy to do your job? That's cool...why don't you just keep sitting there eating breakfast ALL morning (I'll get to that...). The third time we needed to use the shuttle was to take 2 people to the airport the night that they were flying out. We called down to arrange and again were told that the driver didn't show up. Wow. Fire him! The whole 6 days we stayed there, I saw the shuttle van move one time. ONCE!!!

Next up, breakfast. Anywhere in the Phoenix metro is going to be slam-jammed in March. Us baseball fans will pack your hotel, as a matter of face it will probably be at 100% capacity during March. If you offer breakfast, have enough food. Every single day, our hotel ran out of certain things. Little milk cartons, biscuits (they had gravy...the breakfast lady told me to use regular bread. haha. a-hole), cinnamon rolls, bananas, pancake batter, sausage, bacon, eggs, etc. Those are just a few of the things they kept running out of while I was there for 6 days. One thing I noticed that the shuttle bus driver actually did well was (and probably what kept him SO busy) eat breakfast all morning. Yup, the same stuff that they were running out of, was being chowed down by the lazy bus driver. I can't stand a lazy person who just takes advantage of stuff. He's useless.

The pool at the hotel is small and doesn't look like it was cleaned in ages. I'm sure it was, but seriously I wouldn't even dip my toe in there, that's how disgusted I was.

I booked 4 King rooms, but we only got 2 king rooms. The other two were queen rooms. Again, very disappointed that we all didn't get the rooms that were originally booked.

Ummm yeah... Sadly I won't be staying here again. Besides Louise, everything was a huge fail in my book.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Christines791 --

Thanks for taking the time to write a reveiw. We appreciate the comments and will use them as directions on areas we can improve.

We do hope that you enjoyed the games while in Tempe.

I would like to talk to you a little more if you could email me at angie@bthospitalitymanagement.com and hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in Tempe.

B&T Hospitality Management
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have stayed at many Holiday Inn Expresses over the years. We know that the rooms are clean and we will have a decent breakfast to start the day. We planned a spring training mini-family reunion in Tempe. I selected this hotel for the family to stay at. At this time of the year they charge extra to stay at the hotel. Our first morning we met for breakfast at 8:00 and there was no fruit. The second morning we met for breakfast at 9:00 and not only were they out of fruit, but there was no eggs, cinnamon rolls, and yogurt. When we complained to the manager he was unclear of the inconvenience on the guests. They do not receive their next food order until sometime on Monday morning. So, for our last morning we may not have breakfast again. We have been given no compensation for this. I have stayed at other hotels and received compensation in some form for far less issues. I will not be staying here again and am very embarrassed that I recommended this hotel to the other members in the family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Annemfs ~

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate the feedback as it gives us direction on areas that we need to improve.

We do appreicate you staying with us and hope that you enjoyed your time in Tempe watching the Spring training games.

As part of the management team I was hoping you would contact me so I can discuss this issue with you a little further. I can be reached at angie@bthospitalitymanagement.com
and after we talk then maybe you will consider giving us a 2nd chance if you do come back to Tempe.

Regional Director of Sales

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University? Share your experiences!