“Nice People, Small Room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1031 East Apache Boulevard, Tempe, AZ 85281 (Formerly Tempe University Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in Tempe
Rescue, CA
“Nice People, Small Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stay at Holiday Inn Express facilities often when we're on the road, and this one measures up to the others in terms of cleanliness and breakfast offerings. However, the bathroom in our room (we had a room with two queens) was much less guest friendly than the bathrooms in other HIE motels we've stayed in. The sink area (across from the room that contained the toilet and tub) was tiny and cramped, and there was practically no counter space on which to place our toiletries. We had to put them on the floor when we were using them, and the hairdryer kept threatening to slip into the sink whenever we laid it down during use. The room itself was also smaller than those we've experienced elsewhere, but it was fine for our purposes. The front-desk staff was great when we checked in and even surprised us with a "welcome" bag containing bottled water and microwave popcorn. (Unfortunately, our room lacked a microwave--there was a hole by the refrigerator that probably contained a microwave at one time.) We were there only one night, so the shortcomings weren't too bad, but the small bathroom would have been more annoying if we'd stayed longer. Undoubtedly, there are other rooms with more user-friendly setups.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Adrienne ~

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.. We appreciate the feedback from our guest as it gives us direction on areas that need improvement.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope that the next time you are in Tempe we will see you again.

Regional Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had a wonderful trip! The staff at the hotel made us feel so comfortable even though they were really busy the hotel was clean and the breakfast was great!! My Mom is 83 they took great care of her too. Made sure my directions were very clear when we explored! I got lost coming from Masa and the desk clerk got me on track and right there!!

Room Tip: Was perfect for us!!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I wanted to lovvvvve my stay here. I booked 4 rooms with the most fantastic person in the world, the manager Louise, and everything went off without a hitch. The staff here is decent (except the shuttle bus driver...but I'll get to that). The hotel itself is clean and quiet for the most part, so if you're just looking for a place to sleep, you'll be happy.

Let's start off with my least favorite person/people on the trip...The shuttle bus driver. The man does NOTHING all day. We were in a group of 8 and we asked for a shuttle ride 3 times and were denied 3 times. The first time, 2 people flew into the airport and needed a ride to the hotel, they called the hotel and they said that "he didn't show up for work" but if they took a cab, they would be reimbursed. Well, that was nice and much appreciated by them. The second time we tried to utilize the shuttle was to take us to Hohokam, but the shuttle bus driver said he "might be to busy to take us". Ummm, isn't that your job? I mean, to take people places. I was promised by the hotel that you would take us there...but you're too busy to do your job? That's cool...why don't you just keep sitting there eating breakfast ALL morning (I'll get to that...). The third time we needed to use the shuttle was to take 2 people to the airport the night that they were flying out. We called down to arrange and again were told that the driver didn't show up. Wow. Fire him! The whole 6 days we stayed there, I saw the shuttle van move one time. ONCE!!!

Next up, breakfast. Anywhere in the Phoenix metro is going to be slam-jammed in March. Us baseball fans will pack your hotel, as a matter of face it will probably be at 100% capacity during March. If you offer breakfast, have enough food. Every single day, our hotel ran out of certain things. Little milk cartons, biscuits (they had gravy...the breakfast lady told me to use regular bread. haha. a-hole), cinnamon rolls, bananas, pancake batter, sausage, bacon, eggs, etc. Those are just a few of the things they kept running out of while I was there for 6 days. One thing I noticed that the shuttle bus driver actually did well was (and probably what kept him SO busy) eat breakfast all morning. Yup, the same stuff that they were running out of, was being chowed down by the lazy bus driver. I can't stand a lazy person who just takes advantage of stuff. He's useless.

The pool at the hotel is small and doesn't look like it was cleaned in ages. I'm sure it was, but seriously I wouldn't even dip my toe in there, that's how disgusted I was.

I booked 4 King rooms, but we only got 2 king rooms. The other two were queen rooms. Again, very disappointed that we all didn't get the rooms that were originally booked.

Ummm yeah... Sadly I won't be staying here again. Besides Louise, everything was a huge fail in my book.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Christines791 --

Thanks for taking the time to write a reveiw. We appreciate the comments and will use them as directions on areas we can improve.

We do hope that you enjoyed the games while in Tempe.

I would like to talk to you a little more if you could email me at angie@bthospitalitymanagement.com and hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in Tempe.

B&T Hospitality Management
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have stayed at many Holiday Inn Expresses over the years. We know that the rooms are clean and we will have a decent breakfast to start the day. We planned a spring training mini-family reunion in Tempe. I selected this hotel for the family to stay at. At this time of the year they charge extra to stay at the hotel. Our first morning we met for breakfast at 8:00 and there was no fruit. The second morning we met for breakfast at 9:00 and not only were they out of fruit, but there was no eggs, cinnamon rolls, and yogurt. When we complained to the manager he was unclear of the inconvenience on the guests. They do not receive their next food order until sometime on Monday morning. So, for our last morning we may not have breakfast again. We have been given no compensation for this. I have stayed at other hotels and received compensation in some form for far less issues. I will not be staying here again and am very embarrassed that I recommended this hotel to the other members in the family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Annemfs ~

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate the feedback as it gives us direction on areas that we need to improve.

We do appreicate you staying with us and hope that you enjoyed your time in Tempe watching the Spring training games.

As part of the management team I was hoping you would contact me so I can discuss this issue with you a little further. I can be reached at angie@bthospitalitymanagement.com
and after we talk then maybe you will consider giving us a 2nd chance if you do come back to Tempe.

CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Good location close to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. About a 10+ minute drive, and if you need to take a taxi <$20. The room we reserved wasn't available, so the hotel had already assigned a free upgrade to a larger room, which worked fine. The included breakfast had many hot and cold choices, so a good way to start the day. Front desk person helpful for directing us to a good mexican food restaurant. Would stay here again.

Sansho ~

Thanks for your kind review! We are glad that it worked out for you. We are glad our Front Desk was able to help you out with a good restaurant choice.

Also..next time you are in Tempe we do offer a complimentary shuttle to and from Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport...

Look forward in seeing you again!
New Carlisle, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed here during Cubs spring training. It was reasonably priced compared to other hotels, so that was nice. The breakfast was not much to talk about. Pretty basic and if you went down a little later in the breakfast time frame, your options were limited. The pool is on the side of the building where if you went down in the afternoon, you had to play musical chairs to stay in the sun. The pool area is very small and had very few chairs. The staff were friendly and always spoke when coming in or out. If you are looking for just a place to lay your head and nothing much else, this property is fine.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back and highest floor are quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Nancy N ~

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We hope you enjoyed watching the Cubs during spring training.

We are glad you found our staff to be friendly.

We look forward in seeing you again the next your travel needs bring you to Tempe.

Wantagh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had stayed at many hotels over my career for long stay projects and I was down here for some university work. The hotel is very clean and is run efficiently. The housecleaning staff did a fantastic job and my room is pristine every day. The desk staff is top notch. They are excellent for they always attend to my needs, they ask questions and offer advice on where to eat etc. and are ready to help and make you a priority. They put the customer first. The hotel itself is beautiful, clean near ASU and transportation. The breakfast is good, they put out a nice selection. The pool and hot tub are great and are always available. I felt like I was at home and after a month did not want to leave because of the service.
A great place to stay with a great overall staff and I would highly recommend it for the price range, location, quality, staff quality and amenities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
JSICURAN ~

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay while working on a project for Arizona State University. I will make sure I pass along your praise to the staff as we appreciate those kinds words.

We do hope that the next time you are in Tempe for either work or leisure we will see you again.

B&T Hospitality Management

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University? Share your experiences!