Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University to your Saves list
Expedia.com Booking.com
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1031 East Apache Boulevard, Tempe, AZ 85281 (Formerly Tempe University Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 46 hotels in Tempe
Chicago, Illinois
“Eeeek.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I wanted to lovvvvve my stay here. I booked 4 rooms with the most fantastic person in the world, the manager Louise, and everything went off without a hitch. The staff here is decent (except the shuttle bus driver...but I'll get to that). The hotel itself is clean and quiet for the most part, so if you're just looking for a place to sleep, you'll be happy.

Let's start off with my least favorite person/people on the trip...The shuttle bus driver. The man does NOTHING all day. We were in a group of 8 and we asked for a shuttle ride 3 times and were denied 3 times. The first time, 2 people flew into the airport and needed a ride to the hotel, they called the hotel and they said that "he didn't show up for work" but if they took a cab, they would be reimbursed. Well, that was nice and much appreciated by them. The second time we tried to utilize the shuttle was to take us to Hohokam, but the shuttle bus driver said he "might be to busy to take us". Ummm, isn't that your job? I mean, to take people places. I was promised by the hotel that you would take us there...but you're too busy to do your job? That's cool...why don't you just keep sitting there eating breakfast ALL morning (I'll get to that...). The third time we needed to use the shuttle was to take 2 people to the airport the night that they were flying out. We called down to arrange and again were told that the driver didn't show up. Wow. Fire him! The whole 6 days we stayed there, I saw the shuttle van move one time. ONCE!!!

Next up, breakfast. Anywhere in the Phoenix metro is going to be slam-jammed in March. Us baseball fans will pack your hotel, as a matter of face it will probably be at 100% capacity during March. If you offer breakfast, have enough food. Every single day, our hotel ran out of certain things. Little milk cartons, biscuits (they had gravy...the breakfast lady told me to use regular bread. haha. a-hole), cinnamon rolls, bananas, pancake batter, sausage, bacon, eggs, etc. Those are just a few of the things they kept running out of while I was there for 6 days. One thing I noticed that the shuttle bus driver actually did well was (and probably what kept him SO busy) eat breakfast all morning. Yup, the same stuff that they were running out of, was being chowed down by the lazy bus driver. I can't stand a lazy person who just takes advantage of stuff. He's useless.

The pool at the hotel is small and doesn't look like it was cleaned in ages. I'm sure it was, but seriously I wouldn't even dip my toe in there, that's how disgusted I was.

I booked 4 King rooms, but we only got 2 king rooms. The other two were queen rooms. Again, very disappointed that we all didn't get the rooms that were originally booked.

Ummm yeah... Sadly I won't be staying here again. Besides Louise, everything was a huge fail in my book.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Christines791 --

Thanks for taking the time to write a reveiw. We appreciate the comments and will use them as directions on areas we can improve.

We do hope that you enjoyed the games while in Tempe.

I would like to talk to you a little more if you could email me at angie@bthospitalitymanagement.com and hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in Tempe.

B&T Hospitality Management

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have stayed at many Holiday Inn Expresses over the years. We know that the rooms are clean and we will have a decent breakfast to start the day. We planned a spring training mini-family reunion in Tempe. I selected this hotel for the family to stay at. At this time of the year they charge extra to stay at the hotel. Our first morning we met for breakfast at 8:00 and there was no fruit. The second morning we met for breakfast at 9:00 and not only were they out of fruit, but there was no eggs, cinnamon rolls, and yogurt. When we complained to the manager he was unclear of the inconvenience on the guests. They do not receive their next food order until sometime on Monday morning. So, for our last morning we may not have breakfast again. We have been given no compensation for this. I have stayed at other hotels and received compensation in some form for far less issues. I will not be staying here again and am very embarrassed that I recommended this hotel to the other members in the family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Annemfs ~

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate the feedback as it gives us direction on areas that we need to improve.

We do appreicate you staying with us and hope that you enjoyed your time in Tempe watching the Spring training games.

As part of the management team I was hoping you would contact me so I can discuss this issue with you a little further. I can be reached at angie@bthospitalitymanagement.com
and after we talk then maybe you will consider giving us a 2nd chance if you do come back to Tempe.

CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Good location close to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. About a 10+ minute drive, and if you need to take a taxi <$20. The room we reserved wasn't available, so the hotel had already assigned a free upgrade to a larger room, which worked fine. The included breakfast had many hot and cold choices, so a good way to start the day. Front desk person helpful for directing us to a good mexican food restaurant. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sansho ~

Thanks for your kind review! We are glad that it worked out for you. We are glad our Front Desk was able to help you out with a good restaurant choice.

Also..next time you are in Tempe we do offer a complimentary shuttle to and from Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport...

Look forward in seeing you again!
New Carlisle, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed here during Cubs spring training. It was reasonably priced compared to other hotels, so that was nice. The breakfast was not much to talk about. Pretty basic and if you went down a little later in the breakfast time frame, your options were limited. The pool is on the side of the building where if you went down in the afternoon, you had to play musical chairs to stay in the sun. The pool area is very small and had very few chairs. The staff were friendly and always spoke when coming in or out. If you are looking for just a place to lay your head and nothing much else, this property is fine.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back and highest floor are quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Nancy N ~

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We hope you enjoyed watching the Cubs during spring training.

We are glad you found our staff to be friendly.

We look forward in seeing you again the next your travel needs bring you to Tempe.

Wantagh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had stayed at many hotels over my career for long stay projects and I was down here for some university work. The hotel is very clean and is run efficiently. The housecleaning staff did a fantastic job and my room is pristine every day. The desk staff is top notch. They are excellent for they always attend to my needs, they ask questions and offer advice on where to eat etc. and are ready to help and make you a priority. They put the customer first. The hotel itself is beautiful, clean near ASU and transportation. The breakfast is good, they put out a nice selection. The pool and hot tub are great and are always available. I felt like I was at home and after a month did not want to leave because of the service.
A great place to stay with a great overall staff and I would highly recommend it for the price range, location, quality, staff quality and amenities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
JSICURAN ~

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay while working on a project for Arizona State University. I will make sure I pass along your praise to the staff as we appreciate those kinds words.

We do hope that the next time you are in Tempe for either work or leisure we will see you again.

B&T Hospitality Management
Timbuktu, Mali
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed this week at the hotel and found it lived up to the reviews as a nice hotel at a decent price. One of the reasons I stayed here was because of their airport shuttle service. The driver who picked me us Tuesday night was prompt, friendly and knowledgeable. Check-in and the rooms were as to be expected.

However, the following morning I was planning to use their shuttle once again. Upon arriving in the lobby I learned the morning driver was sick and his replacement wouldn't arrive until 12:00 Noon. So, I had to call a cab. Sure, it was only $10 bucks, but I was still perturbed due to the time for the cab to show up. My question is:

1) Why don't you have a better Plan B when an employee is out due to illness?
2) If your Plan B is requiring the guests to call cabs, why don't you take the initiative and see if any cabbies would be willing to wait at the hotel.

Room Tip: Skip the 'free breakfast' and walk a block down to the D'Lish Cafe. Very solid breakfast...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Bill L~

Thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw. We enjoy hearing about our guest experiences and use them as training tools. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

We appreciate the concern you had about the transporation and were glad that you were able to use it when arriving at the airport.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and hope that you will give us another chance when traveling to Tempe.

Davenport, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here for three days while visiting Tempe on business. the service was good, the staff was friendly, the rooms were nice. However, there are problems:
1) On Friday night there was noise in the hallway till the wee hours of the night.
2) the internet went out early one evening and wasnt reset until the next morning in spite of calls to their desk and support organization who insisted things were working
3) the AC unit will not run if the outside temperature is lower than the desired setting. This created issues with the room being stuffy on a couple of nights.

Room Tip: Dont stay near the end of the hall where rowdies come in through the back door.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Angie M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Frank H

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We enjoy what our guest have to say and also use the feedback as ways we can improve our service. I will be passing on the issues to our general manager and hope that you will give us another try the next time your travel needs bring you to Tempe.

Regional Director of Sales

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Phoenix Tempe University? Share your experiences!