“A view across the valley” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Buttes, A Marriott Resort

You added The Buttes, A Marriott Resort to your Saves list
The Buttes, A Marriott Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2000 Westcourt Way, Tempe, AZ 85282 (Formerly Wyndham Buttes Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A view across the valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

An very nice older property (built in 1986) with friendly and helpful staff close to I-10 and close to PHX airport. When we arrived it was raining and there were a number of leaks noticeable through out the property however it did not impact our stay. Although some portions of the property need renovation, the hotel is nicely designed and landscaped. The location on the buttes provides nice views and the property has a number of waterfalls feeding heated pools and whirlpools. Despite it's proximity to I-10 and Tempe, the Buttes can give one the sense of being remote. Highway noise is noticeable from some locations on the property but the buildings, rocks, and water falls hide the noise in most areas. The restaurant is excellent. We had dinner in the bar and found the food delicious. The breakfast buffet is very good and if you are a chocolate lover, ask the line cook for a triple chocolate waffle. We enjoyed our stay and would visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool, these are quieter. We did not hear any road noise from our room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experence here at the hotel. We appreciate your feedback and appreciate your time. We do hope that you get to stay with us again in the future. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

This hotel is very clean,great service,and the pools are beautiful. The 2 pools with water slides and canal is heated to a wonderful 84 degrees so it can be used year round. There are 4 hot tubs disbursed throughout the mountain side to give you the feel of wilderness. The outdoor bar was closed this weekend due to the rain but it didn't stop us from swimming. Definitely a place I will be returning to again!

• Stayed November 2013
We appreciate your stay here at The Buttes, and thank you for taking the time to share another great experience here at the Buttes. We appreciate it. It is nice for others to experience the property through such great reviews. It is nice to share such great service comments with the team here. We love celebrating great service stories with the teams. Thank you again for everything.
Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Great location and beautiful property, but this Hotel is under staffed, under trained and lacks customer service skills common in most Marriotts of this level. It's been a series of little things that all added up to compel me to leave this review.

One big thing was that on the two nights of my stay, rooms 3100 to 3160 leaked water due to roofing renovations. I'm talking serious leaks in the rooms and in the hallways. Shoes and socks sopping wet from inches of water.

There have been several missteps in service here, but the kicker is that my reservation was for three nights, but on the morning of the second day, I received my checkout notice. Since I was supposed to stay another night, I called the front desk. I asked why and they said they had left me a message in my room on the phone, but no light and no message in the system.

When I asked why nobody told me about having to move rooms, the supposed front desk manager said, we'll I'm telling you now in a rude and aggressive tone. Now to be fair, I was upset because of the lack of communication and the attitude of the staff as if I was inconveniencing them by asking for service.

When I expressed my concerns and lack of service he said, "people have been complaining all night... What do you want me to do about it?" Since he obviously didn't have proper hospitality training, certainly not common with marriott and my requests to speak with a manager went unanswered I turned to social media. (FYI as a frequent traveler I've literally stayed hundreds of nights, produced many events in marriott hotels) I'm in room 3158 at least for a couple more hours and looking forward to speaking with someone that actually cares about the customer.

Update... Spoke to the morning manager named Warren... He says there were no notes in the system about staying another night. I explained that I was told on two other occasions that I was confirmed for the third night, but that I may have to renew my keys for the additional night.

After explaining that no one gave me any notice, instructions or keys to a new room, he threatened me with canceling the additional night and said to stay in another hotel. Great service response especially when it was their mistake in the first place. I'm gold with Marriott... No big deal, but I've stayed in Marriotts over 250 nights in my career and have never receive such a lack in service on many levels. Buyer beware.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with others. I am truly very sorry that there were issues in your guest room and stay. Water leaks are never fun to deal with for the guest or the staff. There are some details missing that should have been better handled by the staff and I am so sorry that we did not handle the situation to your expectations. We can do better and I am sorry again that we did not handle this situation better. Thank you again and should you choose to give us another chance please reach out to me personally as I would love to ensure that your next stay is much better next time. Thank you
SAINT LOUIS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I'm not sure what this hotel wants to be: convenient from the airport (though not 'to' the airport as I'll explain later), I was expecting a typical airport hotel; nothing fancy, shuttles, chain restaurants nearby. Instead I got a 'resort', designed to be isolated, keep you on property - a 'get-away-from-it-all' kind of place with rooms, meetings, and dining sprawled across the property in separate buildings.

Except here's the deal: It's smack dab in the middle of a freeway interchange and next to the airport. Every time you step outside, you're met with a wall of traffic noise. The property is on a butte, a few hundred feet above it all, but your vista is that of bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Not that the property is lacking in its own noise production. Travelling from the east, I was ready to turn in earlier than the party crowd at the pool and got an earful of squeals through my patio doors. And, yes, as another reviewer pointed out, the A/C is noisy.

On check-in, I asked the desk staff for directions to my room. Instead, they sent me back out to the bellhops and was told they'd direct me. Having worked at resorts for three years, I can tell you EVERYONE should be able direct a guest anywhere on the property.

Later, I was interrupted while working by a staffer bearing a toy shovel, M&Ms, and an apology from management for the construction (which, frankly, I had not noticed). This was followed closely by the in-room dining staff calling to ask 'how is your meal?' while I was still eating it! If I wanted a fawning waitstaff, I'd have gone to the restaurant. (It was great BTW. A bright spot in the stay). A tip to all hotel management - an unexpected knock on the door or phone call from the hotel is never viewed as a good surprise.

None of this is the staff's fault. Management has apparently systematized things to the point of faux 'service'.

Finally, I was relieved I had given myself plenty of time to the airport as the property's isolation in the butte made taxi service unreliable (another reason for a shuttle). I eventually called my own cab and even then they hadn't heard of the property.

In short, the location makes it a poor choice for resortists, the attitude, a poor choice for business travelers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave details about your recent encounter at our property. I am sorry that we are not what you were expecting and we do hope that you get a chance to come back and better enjoy what the property truly has to offer. We take pride in the cleanliness of the property and the staff friendliest. Thank you!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This has to be one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed out. My organization held a conference here and I am already trying to think of when we can host another event to be held here at this resort.
The entire property is just magnificent; the views are amazing. The restaurant has a incredible patio area with a view of the mountains which is just breath taking. The pool is very unique and a great size.
Service was top notch and very accommodating and friendly. My room was pretty far from the lobby but the hotel offers, at pretty much any time, to drive you by golf cart to the far end of the property where the rooms are located. Lots of places to sit outside and relax and enjoy good food, drinks and time visiting with colleagues or friends.
Rooms are very clean and spacious.
Hotel is also very close to the airport. If you are staying in Tempe I cannot recommend this hotel any higher.
A must stay!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for leaving a 5 star review for us here at The Buttes. It was our pleasure to provide you an outstanding stay and we look forward to many more. Thank you for sharing your delightful experience for others to see. We look forward to being your choice destination when in the Tempe area. Thanks again
Wasilla, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I was staying in Phoenix for three days on a business trip. The hotel is very nice and the staff were accommodating. I checked in around 7 pm and was greeted by the valet who was very helpful. When checking in I was given two doubles instead of the king size bed that was reserved. This wasn't a problem for me because I was traveling alone. When I got to my room I noticed that the trash hadn't been taken out and there was a clear wrapper on the bathroom floor. I was going to call and ask for another room but the front desk guy had mentioned that they were booked. I am sure that they would have tried to accommodate me but by this time I had been flying and traveling for 9 hours and just wanted to relax. There was some remodeling going on when I was there but it didn't affect the areas I visited. The hotel is rather large and depending on where your room is you will be walking a long ways to get to any of the amenities. I was staying in the farthest building down by the tennis courts so I ended up walking a lot. The hotel does offer to pick you up and drive you around. I found out about this when I checked out. It was a huge deal as I needed the exercise. If you rent a car there is a $10 a day parking fee. The Market Cafe had great food that was reasonably priced. Overall it was a great stay. The beds are comfortable and the room was set up nicely to accommodate business travelers. I would stay here again if in Phoenix.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback in regards to your recent stay at The Buttes. We appreciate your stay and look forward to future visits. Thank you
Hermosa Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Renovations such as new carpet or similar aesthetics will do little to the terrible bathroom lay-out, or NOISY air conditioner. Currently no black-out drapes in any of the rooms. In addition, sub-par service standards I've come to expect from Marriott properties. All these things = disappointing vacation experience and far from a good night's rest! Too many other nearby and nicer hotels to choose from. This one was a fumble!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
I am truly sorry that you did not find value in our hotel while you stayed. We do our best to provide an exceptional experience for a great price. We take pride in the service we offer and I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. If you would like to reach out to the property and ask for me I will gladly do what I can to make this up to you. I am confident that we can do better next time. We look forward to hearing from you and please let us know if we can make this up to you. Thank you!

Been to The Buttes, A Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!