“Nice stay!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Buttes, A Marriott Resort

You added The Buttes, A Marriott Resort to your Saves list
The Buttes, A Marriott Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2000 Westcourt Way, Tempe, AZ 85282 (Formerly Wyndham Buttes Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wasilla, Alaska
“Nice stay!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I was staying in Phoenix for three days on a business trip. The hotel is very nice and the staff were accommodating. I checked in around 7 pm and was greeted by the valet who was very helpful. When checking in I was given two doubles instead of the king size bed that was reserved. This wasn't a problem for me because I was traveling alone. When I got to my room I noticed that the trash hadn't been taken out and there was a clear wrapper on the bathroom floor. I was going to call and ask for another room but the front desk guy had mentioned that they were booked. I am sure that they would have tried to accommodate me but by this time I had been flying and traveling for 9 hours and just wanted to relax. There was some remodeling going on when I was there but it didn't affect the areas I visited. The hotel is rather large and depending on where your room is you will be walking a long ways to get to any of the amenities. I was staying in the farthest building down by the tennis courts so I ended up walking a lot. The hotel does offer to pick you up and drive you around. I found out about this when I checked out. It was a huge deal as I needed the exercise. If you rent a car there is a $10 a day parking fee. The Market Cafe had great food that was reasonably priced. Overall it was a great stay. The beds are comfortable and the room was set up nicely to accommodate business travelers. I would stay here again if in Phoenix.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback in regards to your recent stay at The Buttes. We appreciate your stay and look forward to future visits. Thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Hermosa Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Renovations such as new carpet or similar aesthetics will do little to the terrible bathroom lay-out, or NOISY air conditioner. Currently no black-out drapes in any of the rooms. In addition, sub-par service standards I've come to expect from Marriott properties. All these things = disappointing vacation experience and far from a good night's rest! Too many other nearby and nicer hotels to choose from. This one was a fumble!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
I am truly sorry that you did not find value in our hotel while you stayed. We do our best to provide an exceptional experience for a great price. We take pride in the service we offer and I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. If you would like to reach out to the property and ask for me I will gladly do what I can to make this up to you. I am confident that we can do better next time. We look forward to hearing from you and please let us know if we can make this up to you. Thank you!
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Having driven by this resort for years, but not ever staying before I was immediately impressed with the beauty of the front drive way and the lobby was breathtaking! The staff was very accommodating, knowledgeable and friendly from the lobby bar, resort pool, room service, on-site spa to Top of the Rock restaurant. I would recommend this hotel for any couple looking to get away for a little R & R!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at The Buttes, an even more for stopping by to see what a lovely oasis we have here in the mountain. We love staycation's and treating our local guests to relaxing weekends. We hope you choose to stay with us more often now that you found us. Thank you again
Boulder City, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was here for an event last weekend, and I regret staying at the property. The property is beautiful, and delivers on its promises. The rooms - not so much. It may be a "resort" but it is still a Marriott. Here are the issues I encountered: We had the kid with us so we got a double room. Two queens? No, the cheap hotel offers two doubles, so my husband and I had to squeeze into the same one. Of course they overbooked the hotel...members of our party had their rooms given away. So we couldn't fix that.

To make up for the skimping, they have a six inch duvet on each bed. We're talking Tempe / Phoenix Arizona folks.. Who on earth needs a huge duvet in Tempe Arizona? We were each up at least once during the nights we stayed, drenched in sweat - we are not night sweat people - trying to get the A/C to 'kick' on. It's a duvet so it's all six inches of duvet - or nothing. Even when it's in the 70s out.

Finally, the bathrobes and towels: One bathroom in our room, and the towels were threadbare nightmares. Our friends had a suite. The room was ugly: gray and orange with angular designs and furniture, the room looked like an old Pan Am lounge with a bed with a huge duvet. As if that was going to solve everyone's problems.

Again, the property is beautiful. But if you actually want to ever sleep rather than just gaze at the skyline and declare yourself over a six inch duvet, miss this joint. Save your money and stay at the Hampton Inn just around the corner. The Hampton Inn chain has remodeled and its room are amazing.

Room Tip: The suites look like an Airline lounge. Watch out for the duvets
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
I would like to apologize for your disappointment in the guest rooms. While we agree that we are indeed ready for a renovation to update the rooms, however when it comes to bed sizes and the duvets - that is not something we are converting. I am sorry the perception upon arriving is that we had queen beds, but we do not. We offer rooms with two double bed or one king size. In regards to the bedding, duvets are pretty typical in Marriott properties, and in future we do offer a feather free option that is a lighter blanket for those who do not like the warmth a duvet has. Please in the future please let us know. These items are all easily fixable and we have alternative options available upon request. We are truly sorry that you did not like the rooms and should you like to discuss your stay further please feel free to reach out to the property directly. Thank you!
Oakville, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Love this Resort!!
I stayed at this location this past weekend.
The staff was very pleasant and friendly.
From the checkin staff to the pool - bar waiters and of course the cleaning crew.

The hotel was very clean as well as the pool. Resort going thru upgrades but no noise issues at all.

The Top of the Rock had great food and service,
Amazing views at sunset and night time views on the outside deck area.

A++++

Room Tip: Great breakfast buffet. Great views up the walking path
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for leaving a 5 star review for The Buttes! We appreciate your stay with us and thank you for sharing your experience for others to see. We take pride here at the Buttes is having the friendliest staff and cleanest hotel in the Valey. Thank you again!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip recently. The service was wonderful. From the valet to the front desk to the bartenders -- Everyone was very kind and accommodating. They are renovating several of the rooms, I stayed on the 2nd floor and my room was not updated. The room wasn’t bad, nice spacious shower and comfortable bed with pillows. But the blinds do not close the whole way, they are just shutters over the windows and the outside light was shining in all night. There are also humidifiers in the hallways that buzz pretty loudly all night. My worst complaint however is the food. I had quesadillas from the lobby bar that were so salty, they were inedible. I had eggs and bacon the next morning from the market café that were slimy/greasy and the bacon was caked in salt. The only really good thing off the menu are the pretzel bites or the steak salad. The pool looked awesome too but I didn’t have time to check it out. The fitness center was nice. This hotel is 10 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in regards to your stay. I hope next time you get a chance to take a swim in the heated pool. It is so relaxing! I am sorry that the food was not to your liking. We do our best to provide healthy meals for our guests to enjoy. I am sorry we failed to do so and I will share this with the culinary team so that we can address these items you shared with us. Let me know if you are going to say again so I can personally make sure that your next stay is perfect. Thank you again.
Hillsborough, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had to go to a conference in Phoenix.

The conference was held in another "resort" in Phoenix.

At 11:30pm, after switching rooms to no avail at this other resort (paper thin walls with loud droning A/C units preventing any sleep), I left and attempted to check in at The Buttes.

Reception was wonderful! They had me checked into a room in a matter of moments.

I got to my room and it was tranquil with a big soft beautiful bed with great linens!!!

Just what a hotel is supposed to be!

A great sleep and awake to see this magnificent property!

Beautiful pool!!! Great breakfast buffet, great bar, great food!

Someone mentioned a TV problem..... There is!? Unfortunately, it happened during the World Series!? The TV would go blank for about 40 seconds and then come back on. Kind of like it lost a signal. This was somewhat frustrating during the WS. If one of my teams had been playing it would have been beyond frustrating.

Everything else was spectacular!!!!

Clear up the TV issue and you have a real gem on your hands!!!!

I will be back (I usually don't watch much TV anyway)

Room Tip: My room was close to the spa facing the parking lot. It was super quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share how accommodating the property and staff can be. We really appreciate your detailed feedback as it only helps us get better. I promise we are doing what we can to try to identify the interruption in TV signal on property. I am not a baseball fan but I love football and if my game was interrupted I too would be frustrated. We are escalating this to see if we can identify the root cause and again it is because guests like your-self share the details we need to better handle the situation. We look forward to more visits and hopefully by the time you make it back this mystery is solved. Thanks again and see you soon.

Been to The Buttes, A Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!