“Great Pool - Loud Room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Buttes, A Marriott Resort

You added The Buttes, A Marriott Resort to your Saves list
The Buttes, A Marriott Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2000 Westcourt Way, Tempe, AZ 85282 (Formerly Wyndham Buttes Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great Pool - Loud Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've stayed here a few times and must say that there are parts of this hotel that are second to none. The lobby is beautiful and the staff is extremely friendly. The pool is the reason we stay at this property. It has plenty of space (even on a crowded 4th of July weekend) to relax, a great poolside bar and enough lounge chairs to keep everyone happy and enjoying their time in the sun.

Unfortunately if you have a room near the pool (like we did on floor 3), these happy folks tend to start a little earlier in the morning than we had hoped.

The room itself is nothing special. Nice bed, average TV's. A bonus for having a docking station to plug your mobile devices into the TV to use. The bathroom looked like it had been re-modeled somewhat recently and had a nice shower. Overall it is a very average Marriott room. Definitely not the reason we would book here again.

Room Tip: As I metioned, avoid rooms on floor 3 near the pool. Although convenient they are noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review in regards to your stay here with us. We are thrilled you enjoyed the amenities of the resort along with the great staff we have running it. I am sorry that the rooms were a bit noisy and not as modern as what you are accustom to when staying with Marriott. We are pleased to announce that renovation is coming and finally here. We have started with the lobby and some other maintenance areas. The rooms are next. The room package picked is beautiful and we cannot wait to show our guests. Do come back and see us. The room renovation is scheduled to be completed this December. Thank you again and we look forward to being your destination while in Tempe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a great one night stay on July 4th at The Buttes. The staff members were all fantastic. Great happy hours both at Top of the Rock and at the pool bar. Wish we would have stayed more nights!! The fan in the room is pretty loud. Goes on/off, on/off and is very noticeable. Note that it is a pretty spread out property and we were far from the pool. At 110 degrees the walking around was kind of tough. But the place is so worth it.

Room Tip: Not much to do in immediate neighborhood. Be prepared to want to stick around the resort, which is j...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review in regards to your stay here at The Buttes. I am glad that the staff did well taking care of you. We take pride in having the friendliest staff in the valley. See you on your future visits to the Tempe area.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If it wasn't for the housekeeper waking me at 10am even though checkout time is noon, I probably would have given this property a 5 star for its amazing pool, lobby, and front desk service. They held the packages for me that I had sent to this place which I was really pleased with. I didn't have enough time to utilize the pool but it was quite nice and it was kid friendly - and quite large for the nice hot days to be soaked into. The gym was something I used here but largely was lacking an upgrade in equipment - the existing equipment was older and weights section a bit limited (especially for a resort). The lobby was probably the most lively part of this place setting the tone for the stay with a smooth check in. I had the opportunity to interact with some other guests and it seems like alot of staycationers also like this place for relaxation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback in regards to your stay here at The Buttes. We do appreciate your feedback, and we are very sorry that housekeeping woke you up on your day of departure. We have shared your feedback with the housekeeping team so that we can prevent this from happening in future. Thank you again and we do hope you choose the Buttes in your future visits to Tempe. Thanks again
Queen Creek, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The front desk employees, Amber in particular, treated me truly like a valued guest. I am a Marriott Platinum member and I am familiar with the program benefits. Its a great feeling when empires like Amber make you feel like achieving your membership status was well worth it.

Amber already had me upgraded to a patio room. And she gave me the option of the free breakfast or points. Not having to ask for upgrades and benefits is a great feeling. Amber set the stage as the rest of my stay was great.

The pool, the setting, and the room were all very satisfactory.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to express how wonderful Amber is at our front desk. She is very professional and friendly. As her manager she is absolutely wonderful to work with and it is kind of you to share that with others. I look forward to sharing your comments with her and we do hope to see you again. Thank you
Elm Grove, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here for there nights in June on business. The lobby area and grounds are lovely! My room was comfortable and looked out on the landscaping instead of the highway which was nice. The room had an odd basement feel to it though and I can't quite put my finger on why. Must have been the ceilings. I really liked that the room had a separate seated vanity area! The in room coffee was pretty good.

I travel a lot for work so I tend to be a bit put off when I'm charged for parking and Internet. Those places I tend to avoid. The room rate here was reasonable so I guess it balances out.

My only other minor complaint would be the lack of actual hiking trails as described on their website. There is one path of about a third of a mile that takes you to the top of a butte with a nice view but not really good for much exercise. There is a walking path of sorts behind the buildings that takes you to and from the pools. Again, not really a hiking trail.

Overall this was a neat place to stay in Phoenix and very convenient to my company's office and the airport. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the breakfast room service and the lobby bar. The Top of the Rock restaurant had just OK food but they went above and beyond for our group in terms of service.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with others. We appreciate your stay and time in sharing your lovely experience at our resort. I do apologize if you were not aware of the incidental charges we have like parking and internet. We do hope that you liked the property enough to come back, and when you do please see the front desk about our optional hospitality fee we offer. It bundles the cost of internet, parking, and we include breakfast. The bundled cost saves you each day.
In regards to the jogging options around the resort, your feedback is very helpful and will be considered as far as how it is presented. Thank you for letting us know.
We do hope you return to our oasis in your future visits to the Tempe area.
Thank you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights on business and arrived after travelling for 16 hours. I was warmly welcomed and the check in process was very efficient. Yes, the foyer smelt unusual but I put that down to the indoor cacti garden which was lovely.
My room was comfortable but I missed a mini bar. Bed was super comfy and I slept well when I was here despite jet lag.
I loved the pool, I'm not a real pool fan but how could I resist relaxing after work, with a cocktail a good book and a dip. The views from the eateries are amazing at sunset especially Top of The Rock. Also, I commend the management on their zero tolerance of noise and this is clearly communicated in each room. All the staff were friendly, polite and helpful.
My 'cons' would be, noisy aircon (bring earplugs). It is a long walk from the rooms to the foyer but you can be picked up by a golf cart. No free wifi. No mini bar. The food at the restaurant is average but this is based on one visit.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your first experience here at our lovely property. We take pride in our beautiful pool and unique property. We do appreciate you taking the time to share some cons that we can work on. We are excited as renovation is here. I am confidant that if you liked our property already that after we complete renovation you will absolutely love the property. Thank you again and come see us soon.
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Looking for a Staycation in Phoenix and decided to try The Buttes. Been there numerous times for meetings, but never stayed.... Did a quick weekend in-town staycation early June. Found the natural setting beautiful, whether by the pools or walking the property. Even the lobby is built in the naturan setting!
So, overall the rooms seem OK. Nothing special, but nothing wrong !
Didn't try the Market Cafe; thought the $20 breakfast buffet was just a little pricey!
Did try lunch at the pool, as well as some beverages ! Food was very good.
Pools clean and enjoyable. No loud, obnoxious music you often get at the resorts. Pools were somewhat separated - kids and families generally chose one that offered a water slide nearby.
Front Desk and Bellstaff very friendly and helpful !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Staycations are back again. We love the summer and the local crowd it brings in. Thank you for choosing us to stay at and we hope to see you on the upcoming weekends. Thank you

Been to The Buttes, A Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!