“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Buttes, A Marriott Resort

Save Saved
You added The Buttes, A Marriott Resort to your Saves list
The Buttes, A Marriott Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2000 Westcourt Way, Tempe, AZ 85282 (Formerly Wyndham Buttes Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Tempe
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was prepared to not like this place, as I stayed here several years ago and thought it was in desperate need of help. Apparently, they got that help and I'm happy to eat my words! I stayed two nights for a conference and was very pleasantly surprised. My room was spacious, clean and well-appointed. My only complaint was the A/C, which never quite got down to the temperature I set it at. The staff was very friendly, the grounds were beautiful and the views are better than most Scottsdale hotels. I only ate the banquet food, which I'm usually very picky about, and once again, I was pleasantly surprised. The best moment was when I walked up to the bellman in my running clothes and he handed me a map which outlined a four-mile run from the hotel. Granted, I had to run through an industrial park, but that's what is nearby, so I guess I had no choice! We went into the Arcadia (40th St & Indian School) area for dinner both nights and it was a very easy drive. I think this hotel would be especially great during Spring Training. I didn't have the opportunity to use the pool, but it looked amazing!

Room Tip: Try and get a room higher up so you look out toward Camelback Mountain.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to experience our little gem we have here in the middle of the desert. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to many more stays. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I am a foodie and we went to bruch easter sunday 2013. We accepted the $75 cost per person and decided to try it. First i will say the staff was great and servers too. Views were great.

The big complaint was the food was very very cold not even warn

cold prime rib, cold lamb cold vegtables very odd never had that at an upscale brunch. But the food and quality was very high end, crab and shimps great and many high end fresh deserts and treats.
Not sure if this is a common complaint but for the $200 bill for 2 we could have gone to KAI.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review in regards to your experience at our Mother's Day brunch. I am sorry we failed to meet your expectations and can assure you that your feedback is helpful. I have shared it with those appropriate and we again are sorry for our failure in meeting your expectation. we do hope you try us again and please feel free to reach out to me at the property in future so I can personally see to it - that you have a better stay. Thank you again.
Rockland, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Buttes for 6 nights at the beginning of April. We were looking for a hotel that was close to both Phoenix and Scottsdale so we could go exploring and we also wanted a nice pool area so we could get in some lounge time in the sun. The Buttes was perfect!

The pool area is wonderful and was never even close to crowded. (we were there from Sat night to Fri so we missed the Sat afternoon crowd) There's an open air restaurant that has some lunch and drink options and there are waiters that will bring your order to you if you don't want to leave your lounge chair. *The chicken quesadillas are delicious!

We used the gym quite a few times and it was good. Never a problem using any of the equipment and they supplied water, fruit, and cold towels.

The breakfast buffet was pretty good, although rather pricey - $19 during the week. We definitely took advantage and made sure we ate enough to get us through to dinner though.

The couples massage at Narade Spa was WONDERFUL!

We didn't eat dinner at Top of the Rock but we did go up for Happy Hour one night. We sat outside on the patio and had a couple of drinks and appetizers while we took in the view. The pulled pork sliders were quite yummy!

Another major plus is their relationship with a local Hertz dealership. We rented a car to drive to Sedona and The Grand Canyon but we only needed it for one day. The Buttes has a deal with Hertz so the dealer will come to the hotel to drop off the car for you and then you can just leave the keys with the Bell Hop when you're done and Hertz will pick it up. This was super convenient for us!

One small "complaint" about the hotel would be that the menu at both the pool bar and the lobby bar are very limited. It would be nice if they had a few more options - maybe chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, or other appetizers at the pool, and steak tips, chicken parm, etc for dinner at the lobby bar. Also, everything is a bit on the pricey side so make sure you plan on spending some money.

Overall, we had a wonderful time and I would definitely stay there again if I ever find myself in the area!

Room Tip: I think any room would be great because how much time do you really spend in your room on vacation...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share you nice long experience here in April at The Buttes. It is such a pretty time of year for the property and we have an amazing staff. I am glad you had time to enjoy the true beauty of the resort and even more than you had time to experience the amenities we provide. We look forward to being your destination spot when in the Tempe area. Let us know when you are coming again so we can provide another amazing stay for you and your significant other. Thanks again
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Overall this is a nice facility with beautiful grounds and views. The staff is friendly and cordial. The food and beverages at the hotel restaurant and bar are very good, though a bit pricey, but as expected in a facility like this. The hotel is conveniently located. The only concern is your room assignment. A number of the rooms on one side of the property face Interstate 10, which at that point is only about 100 yards away, and the noise would make it very difficult for most people to sleep. We experienced this problem for the first two nights of our stay before another room was available. This seems to be more of an issue on the upper levels. Those rooms facing the pool did not suffer from the same interstate noise.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are the best for avoiding potential interstate noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts about the hotel. You are right we do have half of our rooms that face out toward the city and the I-10 happens to be right there as well. While it made us very convenient for travelers to stay with us due to our location it does tend to make those outer rooms a bit louder. Knowing we cant just pick the hotel up and move it we do offer fans, white noise machines, and even ear plugs for guests that it bothers too much. It is our goal to ensure that all of our travelers have a very enjoyable and relaxing stay. Thank you again and I am glad the staff was great. We share the feedback with our teams. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have been traveling to Phoenix for 20 years and this was my first stay at this wonderfully unique resort. The resort is beautiful. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The rooms are clean and comfortable and I love the Marriott bed! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your 5 star review in regards to the Buttes. We appreciate your repeated stays and loyalty to the property. We always look forward to servicing your future needs. Thanks again and see you soon....
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

As you likely read from some of the other reviews the hotel and surrounding gardens are carved into the mountain. It is really a wonderful feat of engineering and architectural design. April in Arizona is a wonderful time to see the spendour of the variety of colours of the cactus flowers and The Buttes landscaping really adds to the enjoyment of the stay. Each staff member that we encountered over the 8 days we stayed, from the front desk, to the restaurant, to the maid service without exception, greeted us with a smile and were obliging and only too happy to assist us with any request. From a convenience point of view the resort is perfectly situated. Easy highway access for every direction. The Market Place restaurant meals were just great. To top it off the pool-side meals and snacks were not disappointing like they very often can be. We look forward to our return to the Buttes - we have no reason to want to go anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderfully written 5 star review in regards to our little paradise here. We take a lot of pride in the beauty of the property, and even more in the wonderful staff we have servicing it. Your stay is very much appreciated and we will gladly share your kind comments with the teams. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again - even if it isnt until next April, so you can enjoy the flowers. Thanks again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We picked this place for a 2 night stay before I attended a conference in the area. Great view and we visited the top of the rock for dinner. Our daughter had the sniffles and went back to the room early. The next morning there was a note from our server Amber telling us that she hoped our daughter felt better. Thank you Amber and Marriott Buttes for a great weekend.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your good experience here at the Buttes. We appreciate your patronage and time. We look forward to your future stays and thanks again

Been to The Buttes, A Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!