“Unique hotel, outstanding staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Buttes, A Marriott Resort

You added The Buttes, A Marriott Resort to your Saves list
The Buttes, A Marriott Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2000 Westcourt Way, Tempe, AZ 85282 (Formerly Wyndham Buttes Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Winnipeg
“Unique hotel, outstanding staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This hotel has the stellar feature of being not more that 10 minutes drive from the airport,
but with no hint of noise from either takeoff or landing. Despite being surrounded by airport
runways and freeways, this resort has the feel of being remote from the city, carved from
the rocks that lend it their name.
We needed a room for a night before moving to a timeshare, and this was the ideal solution as
no time was wasted in transit to lodging after our long flight from Canada.
We were concerned that we might have to live in our car for several hours before we could check in, but were delighted to find a room available immediately on our arrival. We were greeted by a cheery parking lot attendant who was happy to look after our car while we checked in.
The check in process was absolutely seamless...we found the waterfall feature behind the check in desk quite soothing....no problem hearing because of the noise!!!!!

We arrived in Phoenix on a day when the TV commentators were sporting down parkas...unfortunately we left ours at home. This would be the first of a period of three days that were the coldest in Phoenix in 30 years and this is a hotel that is best enjoyed in very warm weather. On a previous visit we lounged by one of the several pools and soaked up the heat, ate our meals outdoors, and enjoyed exploring the area around the hotel.
This time we shivered in the dining room, where we enjoyed an excellent meal, great wine, served by staff who must have been frozen, but were nevertheless upbeat and cheerful.
The breakfast buffet was outstanding, particularly the omelets, and the server and the cook
provided outstanding service.
Our room, thank heavens, had central heat, so we retreated there to warm up.
Rooms and bathrooms were large and beautifully appointed, spotlessly clean.
Despite the weather we enjoyed our stay immensely (it did warm up a bit the following day),
and will definitely return if we are ever visiting Phoenix.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at The Buttes, A Marriott Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave such kind words in regards to your recent stay at The Buttes. We love hearing when we have delivered great service and impacted a guest stay. If there is anything we could have done better to make the 4 stars 5 .. we are always interested. It is our goal to be the best and with feedback as valuable as our guests, we can only get better at what we do if we listen. Thank you and should you stay at the property again in the near future, let us know - we accept the challenge in making your next stay even better. Thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Ft Defiance
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I used to have a job in which I was on the road 20+ days out of every month and often stayed at Marriotts, as I was a member of their rewards program. I certainly will not be as loyal to this chain in the future. I am now a student and my wife is a nurse, studying to become a midwife. My wife works extremely hard. As we were in Phoenix to buy a car, I wanted to treat her to a relaxing hotel stay, so I booked a reservation on 1/26/2013 at The Buttes - big mistake. The staff at the front desk (with the exception of Jeff) were extremely rude. One woman in particular, a middle-aged blond woman whose name I did not get, was particularly nasty. It wasn't until they had run our credit card and were handing us our keys that they told us there was a $10.00 charge for parking as well as a charge for internet. Their abrasive attitudes and being blindsided by ridiculous fees immediately threw up red flags for me and I asked them politely to cancel my reservation. They told me that they would be happy to do that, but were "not able" to refund my money since I made our reservation through hotwire. I called hotwire while standing there and they told me that they would refund my money with permission from the hotel. Hotwire put me on hold, called the front desk, and spoke with the fore mentioned blond woman who, with me standing right there, refused the refund. Tired after a long drive with screaming kids, I said that, if they were going to force us to stay at their hotel, that I was not going to pay them for parking and would park my car elsewhere and walk. I meant it. There is absolutely no justifiable reason for them to charge for parking. Its not New York, or Chicago. There is no enormous demand for parking in the area and I was certainly not going to allow these condescending, disrespectful people to get anymore of my money for nothing. The woman walked me out to the valet holding my room key and told the valet to follow me to see where I parked. I told her that there was no need to have anyone follow me, that I had done nothing wrong or disruptive, that I was simply declining their outrageous parking "service." I was obviously angry, but kept my tone and language professional. I resented their fees and their attitudes and, as a mixed race family, I especially resented having anyone from their staff "follow" me, which was completely unnecessary. They knew what I was driving and they hand out parking passes. If they saw my car in their big, empty lot without a pass, they could (and I am sure would) have it towed. At any rate, the woman, in a very snide manner, told me that I was being uncooperative and difficult and that the hotel was refusing my business and she walked back inside with my room key. I went back in to the front desk and told them that I was happy not to stay there and asked, then, if they were going to refund my money. This is when Jeff stepped in, a nice guy working amongst at least one awful person, who told me very respectfully that they would refund my money. It was very simple, good customer service on his part. I called hotwire, they called Jeff, and I got my money back - simple as that. In all of my travels, I have never been treated as rudely as I was at this hotel. We ended up staying at a very nice hotel near ASU that had free internet, free parking, and very friendly employees for a fraction of the cost of staying at The Buttes. I suggest that you do the same and I hope to see Jeff working in a different hotel someday, as this hotel does not deserve him.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I have to apologize that your perception of your experience at The Buttes was clouded by your opinion in regards to our overnight parking fee. It is our practice considering the setup of our grounds to walk all guests out front to ensure a bellman is ready to assist our guests down the hill to the rooms, it is not intended at all how descfribed. Due to the outrage in regards to our overnight parking, it was very difficult to kindly explain what options we have availabe in order to bundle the charges for the items you may need during your stay. When booking we do not hide the fact we have parking charges on our website or on hotwire. There charges are fully disclosed and can always be bundled in a package to accommodate any guest need. We have business packages available everywhere as well as an optional Hospitality Fee at check in to bundle the $48 value of breakfast for one, internet, and parking for a reasonable $25 a night plus tax. We gladly accept the challenge in changing your opinion of our hotel as we are full of great associates like Jeff, and they are all eager to help you. We have shared your comments to the desk agent in which assisted you and I can assure you she is very apologetic and yet baffled in how the situation had arisen in regards to an overnight parking fee. Please do look me up should you give us another chance as I am positive we can do better.
Maricopa, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My partner and I checked in this past Friday, we were celebrating our 2 year anniversary. The nature of my jobs allow us to travel fairly often all over the state and stay in a wide variety of accomodations and eat in a wide variety of restaraunts.As a model, I am always on the lookout for new spots with photo shoot potential, which given the design of the place, I was looking forward to. As a writer, I get the opportunity to use my modeling career and the travel opportunities it gives me to write hotel and restaraunt reviews. For special occasions, we always try to book something special. This time it was The Buttes, my husband drives by it everyday on the way into his building at the University of Phoenix, and the Top of the Rock restaraunt looked intriguing!!!

When we arrived, the bellhop/valet, Jeff, was very nice, he helped me out of the car,he got some bottled water for us, showed us to our room, helped with the bags, he did a great job!

My husband tells me once we get to the room, that we have to pay $10 to park, I have never heard of that, ever! Also, in the room, there was no microwave, or refrigerator, which was really iritating, considering every other resort/hotel at the $150 dollar a night price point, had at least a refrigerator.

We were there for 2 nights, and decided on our first night, to go to the Top of the Rock.when we were getting ready, we noticed there was 1 robe and 2 towels for 2 people...really? we called the front desk for 2 more towels but they never showed up...I asked my partner to go get some ice and a couple of sodas so I could take some medication before dinner, and we couldn't find an ice machine, he finally saw someone with housekeeping in the hall, and they told him he had to go down to the first floor for ice and soda...really? In a resort that size you need to go all the way to the first floor?

Dinner at Top of the Rock was great, the food was great, the service was awesome and the view was incredible! Our waitress was even good enough to ask about food allergies, which was a great thing because, what I ordered had peanuts in it, even though it wasn't listed on the menu, and I am deathly allergic to peanuts!

when we get back to our room, we were trying to go to bed, and the hallway was so loud we couldn't even watch television, and it didn't stop....all night.

The next morning we were planning on going to the spa, the only spa menu I could find in the room didn't have any rates on it, I went down to the front desk to ask for a spa menu, I told the desk clerk my husband and wanted to do a couples spa day and that I needed a spa menu, she was extremely rude, and told me there was one in the room, and wouldn't give me a spa menu with rates on it. I thought fine I will go get it off the internet...when I got back to the room, and tried to go to the website...and then found out that you have to pay $45 to use the internet during your stay.Really???? when every other hotel in town provides free internet access???

We finally found out prices for the spa, and called over there to make an appointment and couldn't even get a couples massage appointment until 6 p.m. so I guess the spa day idea was out, because there were no openings. Before we left for the spa we left a note for housekeeping, asking for extra towels, but when we got back...no extra towels...big surprise, my husband had to call and ask for towels for a third time before we got them.

The spa was great we loved it,our massage therapists were awesome!

Because we went to the spa so late we couldn't go to dinner so we ordered room service and stayed in the room, The girl who brought our food, Ashley, was new, but she was a sweetheart, when we told her it was our anniversary she brought us up a bottle of wine, and a card, funny that the new girl had the best customer service skills out of everyone.

our last morning we had ordered breakfast, and when it came in the morning everything was cold. we could have stayed another day, but we decided to go home, because we had gone broke being disappointed

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I have to personally apologize on behalf of The Buttes for our failure to deliver the experience we are known for. I can assure you that this is not normal when it comes to the service at the property. As the one who facilitates the training of the staff service, this kind of feedback is very useful. We are constantly training the staff with ways to execute exceptional service no matter what type of guest we have in house. I am sorry we failed during your last stay, but I am confident this is an isolated situation and that your experience is not the norm. I would love to make this up to you. If you are in the area again let me know as I know we can make this better with little effort. We take pride in having the best staff in the nearby area, and I know we can change you first impression of our oasis here in Tempe. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I recommend this Marriott facility to everyone! I look forward to my stay at the Buttes every trip to Phoenix. Should you get the opportunity ask for a room inthe lower units with the patio. Nestled at the foot of the butte, you can sit outside in the beautiful southwestern landscape and enjoy a glass of wine or a good read. Rooms are updated celan and comfortable, two pools for family fun and a lap pool for the swimmers, the resturant is enviting with a floor to ceiling waterfall. If you want to relax of the beaten path, this is your place to stay. A+

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
You are one of our favorite regulars. Thank you for sharing your experience with our other guests. We always appreciate your stay and the relationship that we have come to build with you. It is always a pleasure and thank you for sharing your home away from home with others. Thanks
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 5 nights at this lovely resort. Although the property is older, it has been well maintained and its amenities are up to date. The rooms are very spacious with comfortable furnishings. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, from checkin to checkout. Breakfast was excellent! The pools and bar/restaurant by the pools were great as well, and the waitstaff were great to chat with about the area. This property is also very conveniently located to all that the Phoenix/Scottsdale has to offer and has very easy access in and out of the resort. This would be a place that we will be returning to...absolutely!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave another great review in regards to your wonderful stay here at The Buttes. We take pride in having the friendliest staff and cleanest hotel in the area. Funny that you mention the age of the property, as we are pleased to announce our upcoming renovation this year. We are upgrading the rooms, outlets, and conference center. I look forward to have a beautiful newly renovated oasis with the friendliest staff that can be found in the Tempe area. Thank you again and we look forward to your future stays.
Muncie, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The staff is the highlight at this location...from checkin to the poolside bar (which had live music Sunday and great options for poolside dining). With the exception of the Top of the Rock restaurant management, the entire staff rocked. I would definitely stay here again and just skip the "upscale casual" dining event. They have several drivers from different car services waiting to take you somewhere ( at your expense of course) but don't stress about the the costs, Phoenix is fun and you have to get there/home safe.

Room Tip: All rooms would would work for you, its a compound with some walking involved but after all the wond...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review in regards to your stay at The Buttes. We value your feedback and look forward to being your destination spot the next time you stay in the area. I have shared your comment to the TOR managers to ensure that any service issues are addressed so that the next time you stay there is no issue. We welcome more detailed feedback as well, just reach out to us. Thank you again and let us know when you stay again so that we can ensure a 5 star review next time.. Thanks
LV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The staff at the Marriott Buttes was nothing but friendly and helpful. The facility is nice and clean. We enjoyed our stay there and will choose this hotel again over staying in downtown Phoenix. Thank you to the staff that were most helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave such kind words in regards to your recent stay at The Buttes. We love hearing when we have delivered great service and impacted a guest stay. If there is anything we could have done better to make the 4 stars 5 ..we are always interested. It is our goal to be the best and with feedback as valuable as yours, we can only get better at what we do if we listen. Thank you and should you stay at the property again in the near future, let us know - we accept the challenge in making your next stay even better. Thank you

Been to The Buttes, A Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!