“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Tempe
Annapolis
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I travel frequently for business, and enjoyed my 4 day stay here for a conference. Some rooms are remodeled and some are not - unfortunately, I happened to get one that was not and was a bit run down with a tiny bathroom. I saw one of my co-worker remodeled room and it was very modern and chic, and everything was new and clean. My room was decent, but it was a bit dated.

The pool and cabana area are a real plus. My group ate dinner and lunch at the hotel each day and the meals they prepared for us were absolutely wonderful, lots of variety and vegetarian options if you ask. The bar area is always hoppin' and the bartenders are incredibly pleasant - too bad I can't say the same for the concierge. Oh well, you can't have everything I suppose.

The center courtyard area was wonderful to sit in at night or during the day to catch a bit of sun - we walked to restaurants and many people took their morning runs around town - great location.

Definitely would recommend this hotel, but try to get a renovated room if you can (my old one was on the 2nd floor).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

This hotel is the only semi-luxury hotel near ASU. The location is terrific if you need to go to ASU. It is a block from the college of engineering and there are free city shuttles that run every 15 minutes if you need to go to the other end of the campus or if it is so unbearably hot that you can not walk. The room is large and clean (see pictures). There was a notice at the front desk that said there was construction (remodeling) going on (noise). I did not hear any noise but did see some people working on a few rooms. I am sure the room I was in was remodeled (4th floor). I did not eat at the hotel, but there are dozens of restaurants steps from the hotel on Mill Ave. I really liked the Irish pub right out the back door of the hotel.
There was some noise coming from the courtyard area till about 10pm. This could have been because it was ASU welcome week and there were a lot of students at the hotel. I would also be aware that this hotel could get crazy when there is a home ASU football game, because it is only a block or two from the stadium.
Two more things: First, there is free wifi internet. Second, I took the light rail from the airport, therefore did not need a car. I found out that they have an airport shuttle.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed 3 nights in August for a meeting and found the service to be extremely courteous, the rooms very clean, and the other amenities to be excellent. The staff was responsive to every request and made the stay seem effortless. Our group had the use of the snack shack as part of the conference and we thought it was terrific. All the other meals were abundant and delicious. The pool atop the second floor was a nice getaway from the world and the cabanas were a nice touch. I love hotels with an inner courtyard and the grounds were very well maintained. Finally, having a free valet service to and from the airport was a real treat.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Irvine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Visit the Tempe Mission Palms for its great location. Situated in the Mill Avenue District, the Tempe Mission Palms is walking distance from Sun Devil Stadium, Wells Fargo Arena, Arizona State’s main campus, Tempe Town Lake, Gammage Auditorium and Mill Avenue. Mill Avenue is full of shops, restaurants, and has a great nightlife. If you are planning on visiting for a football game, be sure to book well in advance because the Tempe Mission Palms is a favorite for fans.

Jamie's Review: The rooms are a little outdated, however, they are planning a refurbishment. Hotel is shaped around a pretty courtyard with fountains and tables for outdoor eating. Breakfast buffet is OK, but a good value. Hotel has a comfortable spacious lobby with a good bar. Be sure to stop in at Z Tejas for a Chambord Margarita or have a pint at Rula Bula. Both are steps away from the hotel. During the cooler months of the year, hike up “A” Mountain for great views of the Valley.

Mike's Review: This hotel is always the first on my list when planning a trip back to Tempe. Literally the closest hotel to Sun Devil Stadium and right in the middle of everything else. Rooms are fine. Breakfast is a solid buffet. Free Parking. The swimming pool could use a little more vegetation and a little less concrete. Overall this is my favorite hotel in the area. Trust me and stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Encinitas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

I live in Scottsdale, just up the road from ASU. Recently my son had a swim meet at ASU so we decided to do a little "staycation" . We selected the Tempe Mission Palms due to its proximity to the ASU campus and pool. We found the staff, grounds and hotel to be just what we wanted. We booked an "Exec " room that had two beds and a sofa sleeper. The beds were great. The A/C was cold and the room was recently renovated. We spent some time by the pool and walking the grounds. All are very nice. At night, we walked a short distance to the P.F. Changs fro dinner on Mill Ave. The Tempe Mission Palms has the best location for ASU and the Mill Ave. area. Recap: Friendly service, nice rooms, nice grounds/pool, best location! I give the Mission Palms high marks and will return again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Glen Ellyn, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I checked into the Tempe Mission Palms on Sat July 18 to spend a nice evening with my wife for her birthday. We had spent the week in Scottsdale for business and instead of flying home Sat morning chose to spend the night at the resort. Check in was a breeze with the pleasant staff, we asked for and received a poolside room, and took advantage of a package that included a $50 voucher for local restaurants. The staff was most friendly and accommodating with any questions we had, the bed was super comfy, the rate was very equitable, and the food at the Mission Grille (along with the service) was outstanding. All in all it could not have been a nicer way to spend my wife's birthday, and I would wholeheartedly recommend Tempe Mission Palms for fun or business to anyone. 5 stars for sure.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Annually I meet up with relatives for a three day stay at the Mission Palms in Tempe, Arizona. We float the Salt one day out of those three, and the rest of the time we spend mostly at the Mission Palms because there is so much to do there. We love the pool - it's top rate and the sound track of music plays while we are swimming and lounging is terrific. The cocktail service at the pool is very fun, too. If you go there, you simply MUST have their buffet breakfast. It is fabulous and worth every penny. We also love the fact that we can simply walk out of the room and stroll down Main Street in Tempe from pub to pub, shop to shop and even over to the park along the Salt River. I can't recommend this place enough - nice people, great atmosphere, big rooms with nice wide beds and ahhhh... that pool. My daughter who goes along is 23, I am in my 50's, others are in their 60's and we ALL find plenty to do. It's near all the hot spots and yet offers plenty of quiet spots and down time, too. Location, location, location.... After staying there once, we all choose to make the Mission Palms an annual gathering location for our family and friends. We will be back again next year - for annual party number four.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Tempe Mission Palms? Share your experiences!