“Will Be Back!!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sedona, Arizona
“Will Be Back!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Awesome place, perfect location, comfortable rooms, great view of the A and courtyard. Staff were awesome. Really made the trip being so close to the venue for the Railroad Revival Tour. Right off Mill Ave. so many places and things to see & do. Loved it. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Got the best deal from Orbitz.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Stayed for five nights and had no problems at all. easy check-in. Friendly staff. Good service all around. I did not eat at the hotel restaurants but rather walked along the main streets of Tempe where there was plenty of choice for dining. There is a hill behind the hotel with hiking paths which was better than going to the fitness room. At the top of the hill you look down on the Univ. of Arizona football stadium. And I didn't see any snakes either! I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Tempe.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

We were in town for a family wedding, and were so pleased that the bride and groom picked the TMP for the occasion. Almost everything about the stay and the wedding went like clockwork, and the staff couldn’t have been more friendly or helpful, but without being in your face or intrusive.

The rooms were great – comfortable, loads of storage space, control over the heating and air, etc. We particularly liked the announcements on the TV in the morning, which were great when they included events to do with the wedding (like the rehearsal, cocktails, etc.). I only found the ipod dock towards the end of our stay, but that was a nice touch. The in room hairdryer was good, and there were plenty of sockets to plug things in. My only suggestion for improvement is that there is nowhere for a lady to sit and do her hair and make-up: the portable mirror from the bathroom was mega-magnifying and couldn’t be used at the desk, and the mirror near the desk was at a strange angle and had a large lamp in front of it, so that couldn’t be used. Only a small thing, though.

The pool and gym were great. Pool towels were provided, and there was a bar service there on the weekend (at other times you used the house phone and whatever you wanted was brought to you). There was a little aircraft noise, but that wasn’t really a surprise given the location.

All of the staff, from the chap who picked us up at the airport through the waiting staff, bar staff, event staff, etc. were great. I can only say that the hotel must have very strong customer service management, as most everything was seamless.

The concierge very helpfully dealt with our pre-booked tour for us, and pretty well insisted that we get the shuttle to take us from place to place (including a rather amusing incident when we really wanted to go for a walk and he almost begged us to take the shuttle!). He was also a mine of information about the area, and gave good advice. The guys in the shuttle were everso friendly and chatty, and always polite and on time.

I must give a shout out to Julie who did the omlettes and eggs in the morning: she was great!

The bar staff were also really good, to the point of me taking exception with my husband when we checked out, as they came out to personally say goodbye to him and that they would miss him (he must have spent more time in there than I thought).

We’d definitely return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
saskatoon, saskatchewan, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

This was our second trip to Tempe Mission Palms (TMP). We came back again because the service is absolutely top-notch, the hotel is strikingly beautiful, particularly the courtyard and the location is perfect. I must say the the Bellhops, both times we stayed here, are the BEST anywhere. I have been to many hotels and they take such pride in providing courteous, efficient and friendly service - all the time - everyone! The courtyard is so beautiful, complete with a fireplace with cozy sofas, orange trees outside where the Mission Grille is, a great lounge and beautifully manicured surroundings. TMP has a lot of staff constantly working to keep the hotel beautiful. The rooms are spotless, the rooftop pool which we used every day for many house is a delight - perched on the rooftop, surrounded by cactii and other plants. The sun shines from sunrise to sunset, complete with a cabana that serves food and drinks and nice music. The only complaint I have of the entire hotel is that smoking is permitted poolside and on the patios of the poolside rooms. Smokers who feel free to leave their butts on the poolside seem to be inconsiderate of fellow guests. I would prefer that the hotel would go smoke-free in these two places. The location of the hotel is perfect. The airport shuttle picks you up quickly when you arrive and the hotel is located right next to Mill Avenue District and ASU. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

I recently stayed at TMP (for the 3rd time in 3 years). I love coming back to this hotel. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are great; the beds comfortable. I think my favorite is the central courtyard, where would sit i the morning enjoying my coffee and breakfast, and in the evening enjoying a cocktail. The pool is gorgeous, although I'm not a swimmer, but those who are would love it. The hotel has one restaurant and one bar, but just outside the hotel is Arizona State University's "campus town" with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops. Everything's with a short walking distance. I've never had a bad experience at the Mission Palms and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a courtyard view.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Scotts Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

I booked my 2-night stay at the TMP through a 3rd party travel site for a business trip. I specifically called the hotel the morning of my arrival to let them know I would be checking in late (10pm) since I had a late flight that day. When I arrived, the front desk mgr very apologetically told me that they had no rooms left because other guests who had been scheduled to check out that day decided not to. Needless to say, I was VERY disappointed (though they can't be blamed for people not checking out). Fortunately, the TMP staff had already made arrangements (including payment) for me to spend the night at a hotel down the street and shuttled me over there immediately (leaving my car conveniently valet parked at the TMP free of charge). They also gave me a breakfast voucher and a drink coupon for my troubles.

The next day I called the TMP before leaving the office to make sure there was a room for me that night and thankfully there was. Shortly after getting to my room the hotel sent up a complimentary cheese tray with a hand-written note of apology, again for my troubles the night before. And about 2 weeks after my trip I received an even more amazing "apology" from the TMP by way of a complete REFUND for my first night's stay! WOW!!!

The hotel itself is very nice. The corner room I received for my one night was very large, clean and beautifully updated. The bed was very comfortable. My room was on the 4th floor so all was quiet through the night. And I cannot say enough good things about every staff member I interacted with while at the TMP!!! This hotel has, by far, the friendliest and most helpful staff I've ever met! And the valet team was out of this world! I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at the Tempe Mission Palms. It has everything that most travelers to Tempe could want.

Location. Amazing! It is the closest hotel to the ASU campus located in the middle of the Tempe entertainment district and steps away from two light rail stops. Yet, it is only 10 minutes to the airport! We went to a Dbacks game on the light rail and it worked great. Some will complain about the street noise which does go late on weekends, but it was never more than ambient noise to me.

Gym and pool. The gym was large and well appointed and located. It was unseasonably cool and rainy, but the pool and hot tubs were heated enough that we could swim in both comfortably. There's even a tennis court but nobody was using it. The courtyard was also really nice -- loved the fire pit for nightcaps.

Free shuttle. If you do need to get somewhere that you can't or don't feel like walking or taking the light rail, just use the free hotel shuttle. Whether at the airport or a restaurant, it was always just a couple minutes away -- please tip your drivers.

The suite. We used the suite as a gathering point for those of us spread through several rooms, and it was perfect. We bar, 2 flat screens, plenty of seating, a six-person dining table, and a real door to the bedroom. It will be ideal, however, for people using it as a single family. You won't find much use for the table (we played poker), the pull out is in the middle of the living space, and the only bathroom is in the bedroom.

Overall, this was a great hotel. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in the Phoenix area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Tempe Mission Palms? Share your experiences!