“Good Stay - Great Food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good Stay - Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was my first stay at this property. Close to the airport and the freeway.

Upon checking in, I had an issue related to my room keys. They did not work on the room I was assigned. Went back down to the front desk and got new keys. Went back up to the room and the new keys still did not work. Went back to the front desk a 2nd time and the associate was very apologetic and went up to the room with me. He could not get the keys to work either. They worked on the elevator(as I was on the club floor) so they should work on the room. Engineering had to come to the room and get it figured out. Apparently, it was something with the door lock itself. Not the best experience, but certainly understandable that things happen. The important thing was that the front desk associate quickly got engineering to determine the issue and correct.

As for the hotel, I would agree with previous reviewers that this is an older Sheraton property. The hallways, at least on the club floor could use a good cleaning and steam clean for the carpets.

My room was on the club floor and was very nice. The furniture was in good shape and the bathroom was nicely decorated.

The lobby restaurant, Fire + Spice is very good. I ate there 3 of my 4 night stay. The service was excellent. I would definitely recommend the Angus Sliders and the Tortilla Soup. Both have a little kick, but not too bad. Also, the jalapeño, cheddar biscuits are pretty awesome. I am not much for hot stuff, but found the food here very good and well prepared.

The staff is great. Very friendly and more than willing to accommodate your requests. The fitness is center is nice, however, a little small. Definitely need to try it out during off peak times. Also, it was not kept stocked as it should with towels, headphones and bottled water in the fridge.

I would definitely stay at this property again on my return visit to the Phoenix area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

It was a disappointing Sheraton as far as the cleanliness goes. It is not the maids fault. The hotel is just old and worn. The carpet is dirty. I walked in my socks for a short amount of time and the bottoms were black. There was mold on the wall by the refrigerator. The refrigerator was loud and not working properly and the walls were paper thin. It was like staying at a motel 8 or a sleeps Inn. The pool, jacuzzi and fire pit were nice except for all the broken lounge chairs. The Club floor food was filled with peppers and spicy food. There was not much available for people who don't like peppers. It wouldn't be my first choice to stay here when I return to Phoenix.

• Stayed January 2013
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in January. The hotel lobby area was very new looking, but my room was pretty tired. The staff were very helpful and offered to drop me off and pick me up both evenings at some restaurants. There is nothing within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We booked one night at the start of a week long road trip here, after arriving on a 10 hour flight from the UK.

Firstly, what the heck is the problem with PHX airport and hotel shuttles? PHX is designed in such a way that it's very confusing for a visitor to know which side of the terminal building they should wait to be picked up. When we arrived, we asked at the airport Information desk where to go for the shuttle and were asked which hotel we were going to. When we replied that it was the Sheraton, it turned out there are no fewer than 5 Sheraton properties which serve the airport!

To cut a long story short, the info desk called the Sheraton for us, but unfortunately the wrong one! We were lucky to happen to see and stop another Sheraton bus, which turned out to be the one we needed. This was our second trip to Phoenix this year, and our second instance of problems getting hold of the correct shuttle bus. Can something not be done to make the arrival experience simpler for visitors from overseas, please?

The driver was very nice, and the hotel was only a short 10 minute drive from PHX airport.

Front desk staff were friendly and efficient, and we're able to give us a quiet room as requested.

The room itself was of basic Sheraton standard, nothing outstanding, but clean and comfortable, although the air conditioning was old fashioned and noisy.

We ate pizza in the restaurant, which was tasty, although the service was slow and we had to ask for silverware.

As a place to rest after a long journey, this hotel served its purpose, but I wouldn't rush to return as it wasn't outstanding on any level.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one! Rooms that face the car park rather than the pool tend to fit the bill.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Our time at the hotel was quick but nice. We arrived late on Friday and took the airport shuttle. Hotel is not far from the airport at all. It did look like it was not near many things - car would be needed for dining/entertainment/etc. Room was very nice. We requested a pack and play for our 2 year old and it was in the room ready to go when we arrived - much appreciated as 2 year olds take on far scarier personalities when up past 11pm. I used the shuttle again in the morning to go and get the car rental with no issues.

When I return to Phoenix, I would confidently pick this hotel again with no concerns.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is an excellent hotel.

I do a lot of travel for business and generally hate staying in hotels during holidays since the best staff usually have off and it can be tough getting good service.

But the Sheraton Phonex Airport Hotel Tempe provided a great experience. Not only was the hotel itself in excellent shape (clean, cared for, nice amenities), but the staff were absolutely top flight. Without exception, every staff person I spoke to was friendly, attentive, responsive, and went out of their way to ensure I was comfortable - even on Thanksgiving Day.

They've also got two good restaurants and a lovely pool area in the back, complete with hot tub and fireplace that was both clean and inviting.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My extended family (20 people!) and I stayed at the Sheraton over Thanksgiving vacation. The staff was so attentive to our needs we felt like we owned the place. Front desk staff and bar staff were perfectly hospitable, and made some great suggestions for us for restaurants, parks, and local sights (visit the dessert botanical gardens). The little ones swam every day at the pool and it was always clean, there were plenty of towels, and the ambiance of the poolside fireplace at night was fantastic. The bar staff was friendly and brought our drinks to the pool for us. Breakfast in the Prickly Pear Restaurant was fresh, coffee was plentiful, and the bacon was crispy and delicious (coming from someone who doesn't normally like bacon!). Rooms were kept very clean, and beds were super comfortable. I also really appreciate the little onsite gym. Clean and stocked. The Sheraton was a great match for our large family!

Room Tip: Try to get one that faces the pool!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Phoenix Airport Hotel Tempe? Share your experiences!