“Cockroaches and dirty sheets! Beware!” 1 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Phoenix Tempe - Arizona State U
Motel 6 Phoenix Tempe - Arizona State U
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1612 N Scottsdale Rd/Rural Rd, Tempe, AZ 85281   |
Ranked #42 of 46 Hotels in Tempe
“Cockroaches and dirty sheets! Beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

This is disgusting! We literally walked in, saw a cockroach in the bathroom and when I went to pull back the sheets there were d deity lays wrapped up in the sheets which turned them orange. Horrible and very dirty DO NOT stay here!!!!! We immediately got a refund and went elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Vandalia, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The one positive for this motel 6 is the location. EZ access to interstate, close proximity to casinos, old Scottsdale, restaurants and trolley. Regrettably, the trade-off is an outdated, rundown facility. Customer service is nonexistent. The check-in representative was nasty and lacked any interest in providing service. The housekeeping staff did not service the room until after 6 PM on any day of our stay; and, then never left a full round of towels. Walls are so thin that noise from surrounding rooms is incessant.

Room Tip: you get what you pay for. if you are forced to stay here .. walk next door to Jim's Coney Islan...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
El Cerrito, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I've stayed at a few Motel 6s as well as other cheap motels and I usually don't expect much from them but this was by far the worse. The guy at the front desk was cold and unfriendly. There was only ever one person working and every time we went in there was a long line that took 20-30 minutes. After finally getting my room I couldn't open the door. I thought I was given the wrong room number but after about the 10th try it opened. The room was full of infects, both living and smashed into the wall, and then during the night and morning there were cockroaches everywhere. It was disgusting. The labels were completely worn of of the air conditioner so there was not way of knowing what it was set at.

In the morning we were getting ready to leave and after realizing we forgot something tried to get back into our room. The door wouldn't open at all. We went to the office to get it re-magnetized twice but we still couldn't get in. The woman from the front desk had to let us in with the master key. We told her about the bugs and cockroaches and she assured us she would move us to a better room when we get back in the afternoon. Lies!

When we got back there was a different girl at the desk and she told us there was nothing she could do for us and we had to keep the same room. I told her there was no way we were going to stay in the room with cockroaches and she needed to move us. So she called the woman who we spoke with in the morning and she told us she couldn't move until the next day. These people expected us to stay in that disgusting room for another night knowing about the infestation. They knew about the issue since 7 that morning and should have put a room aside for us but failed to do so.

We were supposed to stay Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights and thankfully they gave us a refund from Saturday and Sunday even though it should have been for all three nights. In order to get the refund the woman sent us to the back of the line after we had already waited for 20 minutes.

I strongly recommend avoiding this motel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Orange County
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I chose this location because of previous reviews. However, upon check-in, I was given a "non-smoking" room that smelled musty with a faint cigarette odor. The bedding had cigarette burns. I went back to the front desk and the gentleman kindly changed my room. It was an improvement, but still smelled strange. I left early the next morning.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

Always a wonderful place. So many fast foods places to eat, located close to the Scottsdale 5th Ave area with shopping and all sorts of dining and bars. Very safe area. Wonderful grounds for walking the dog or sitting out front.
Want to stay here and say thanks to the Motel 6 system: pick up your dog's waste, turn off the lights and ac/heat when you leave. This is a Motel chain that allows free pet stays and you will have to pay for this at most other places.
Stayed here many times and will do so again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Amber is amazing! Perfect spot for our business, and we love the wood floors!
In a sea of mediocre motels... this one is a shining star.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Met a great employee named Amber who worked with me on an early check in being that I had driven all night and had a little dog with me. To be able to stay at a motel where I do not have to pay $15-$30 extra for a pet, get a room for $30, relax in a small pool, have an ac that works well, shower in a clean bathroom, have a sink located outside the bathroom if I had been with family, and be within walking distance(a block or less) of a great bar and grill and various fast food restaurants has made me a Motel 6 user for over 5 years. I do not need a fancy room, just a clean room. I spend most of my time seeing the area, sights, and various places to shop and eat. THIS Motel 6 is located minutes from Old Scottsdale and all its shops, bars, and dining areas.
Since I travel with a small dog, the front area, about a 1/2 block long, is perfect for relaxing because of the extensive landscaping and lawn area. Having a room in the back makes street traffic all but unheard.
If you are in the area, I do not know what the rates are during high season in the winter, this is one of the best of all the area Motel 6. Sometimes you can find a Motel 6 where things do not work quite right or one that needs a little refreshing in appearance in the rooms. They seem to take good care of things here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Motel 6 Phoenix Tempe - Arizona State U? Share your experiences!