“Good value, nice property, excellent staff” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Go Crazy @ AZ Mills Mall
Ranked #16 of 47 Hotels in Tempe
“Good value, nice property, excellent staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This property provides escellent value for the cost. The rooms are spacious and include a refrigerator and microwave. The beds are comfortable and the towels of decent quality. The toiletries are nice, coffee and tea are provided. The complimentary breakfast is better than most, and they do made-to-order omelets and French Toast. The selection on the buffet is good and the quality of the food is good. The pool area is nice and well maintained, and the fitness center is a bit better than I would expect for this level property. Garcia's food that I had for lunch (took to go) was truly mediocre, but the food I ordered for room service one day was very tasty and was delivered quickly. I haven't yet experienced the complimentary beverages...my bad. I am staying five nights on this trip and will be happy to stay here again.

A note regarding the staff.... The people working at night when I checked in were friendly and helpful. The only comment would be that I was directed to park somewhere that was further than my room than necessary. I had to change rooms the second day as my requested configuration was unavailable when I first checked in (I updated my reservation several times, and what became my first night was a last minute add-on). The daytime staff was extremely accommodating. I had a midday conference call and they orchestrated my room move to take place early in the day so I could move prior to the call. The staff greeted me every time I went through the lobby. The housekeeping staff was also pretty top notch.

I will stay here again. I might find a property I prefer that is more luxurious, but for frequent stays where I'm trying to keep the costs contained, this will be my property of choice.

Room Tip: If possible you may want to stay away from the freeway....
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Embassy Suites markets itself as being an upscale brand. Most of their locations meet this expectation. This one did.. kind of.
I understand that it was recently remodeled. The suite had a nice appearance - granite, tile shower surround, new carpeting, new(ish) furniture, etc.
A closer inspection revealed a good amount of corners cut - white silicone along the edges of a tan shower and travertine surround, rusted fan covers for the vent system, a mini fridge that was poorly vented and constantly ran, thus was blazing hot inside the cabinet for the kitchenette, cheap furniture that was just not comfortable and too short to stretch out on really.
Also the toilet was completely loose, as in the bolts no longer secured it down and I could have picked it up had I wished. I didn't do anything about it because I didn't want to move rooms, it didn't leak or smell. That's on me for not dealing with it, but you'd think the cleaning staff would know enough by looking at the ripped up caulk job at the bottom of the toilet and realize something wasn't right.
The staff was great: friendly, responsive etc. Great location as well. Good workout room.

It's a decent place. It's not my first choice when traveling to Tempe but I'd stay here again over many other locations. However, when comparing to other ES locations, it really doesn't measure up to most others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel itself is a good location, we were in town to tour the college, it is also a nice enough place as far as rooms and restaurant and pool go, the complete downside was the attitudes of the employees and the too many to list situations where they were more then lacking......I would not stay here again......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Free breakfast, free happy hour, free airport shuttle, next to freeway for access, ....An older hotel but well maintained. We would definitely stay again. There is a Whole Foods down the block and a small frig in the room for convenience. Rural Rd leads N to Scottsdale and bus service in front of hotel. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Janice K, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Phoenix - Tempe, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear RJB5001,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are glad you enjoyed our amenities and location. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Janice
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights over Easter. The first impression of the room was it was very dark, our room overlooked the car park which was ok we didn't have any nosie issues there. The bedroom area was nice and clean and tidy as was the bathroom.
The hotel had a nice pool area and a hot tub and plenty of sunbeds were provided. We had breakfast whilst we were staying this was complimentary, they had a nice selection.
The only thing that was disappointing is that you have to pay for internet connection. You can't even get it free in the hotel lobby, only gold or platinum members get it for nothing. I think this should be changed, come on ES, most hotels provided this a standard now.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, furnishings a little dated but fine. The rooms open to outside doors...that may be an issue for some. I thought the grounds were nice & well kept. For $99 to $110 per night....I probably would have rated it above average.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dad05,

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candor and we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and guest suite appearance. Thank you again for your feedback.

Janice
Paso Robles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night of Easter Break. We were worried about the crowds and noise, as the pool area was literally so crowded you could hardly see the water. Our room was overlooking the hot tub. Fortunately, the rooms are very well insulated and quiet. The 2 room suite is perfect - the beds and the sheets were fantastic! Very nice facility.

Only issue when so crowded - it was difficult to do the evening reception as the lines were horrendous just to get a drink and chips/popcorn. Same thing in the morning for breakfast and the Garcias that is "in" the property. Location of the hotel is great though - just down the street is Starbucks, Chase ATM, and Whole Foods Market.... and easy access off the i-60. Great nights sleep! Pleasant staff at check-in and out as well.

Room Tip: Ask where your toom is - you could wind up walking quite a ways - it is quite a large hotel. We ask...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Phoenix - Tempe? Share your experiences!