“Older Motel but Ok and Near ASU” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn Near AZ State University

Save Saved
You added Rodeway Inn Near AZ State University to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn Near AZ State University
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2101 E Apache Blvd, Tempe, AZ 85281 (Formerly AmeriLodge Tempe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Tempe
Portland, Maine
“Older Motel but Ok and Near ASU”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed at this motel on a Sunday night at the end of March. Its within a couple miles of ASU in Tempe and close to a lot of fast food restaurants. Its an older motel that has probably been a couple other brands before coming Rodeway Inn. The desk clerk was friendly and allowed me to pick area of motel I wanted. I had a queen bedroom which was on first floor. Bed was comfortable, TV worked, Internet was Wi-Fi with great reception, room was clean, although sparse. This motel offers no breakfast other then coffee in the lobby in the AM. If you are looking for a room close to the University and don't intend to spend alot of time in the room at a LOW cost ($47), not a bad pick.

Room Tip: Go down away from the street for a more quieter room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Strongsville, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I had stayed here three years earlier, but, although it remains a very inexpensive property (Senior rate less than $50), I may look for an alternative next time. The owners were very friendly; the rooms were adequate, but the area is not particularly attractive. If I had not had a car, I don't know if there were any restaurants in reasonable waling distance. One advantage is that there is a light rail station right out front, which will take you NEAR the airport and also to many parts of the downtown area. There is no breakfast offered, but plentiful coffee!
I also had a problem with the internet service for the first several hours of my stay, but later on in the evening (when the manager's son had returned from college) it was again working well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Moorhead, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have stayed here once before. It was quiet and the government rate of $40 is excellent. How a year has changed. First no more breakfast there is a sign that says coffee from 7 - 11 am and the directions to IHOP. Room was clean and well maintained for the rate. Checked in late so straight to bed, woke up at 4am with 4 shots fired within a 100 yards of the hotel if not in the parking lot. It appeared the homeless people living in the empty lot across the street or the drunk people upstairs who appeared to be long term tennants were arguing. Add the small fulltime rv park next door which also appeared to be on the low end with trash every where who knows who was shooting. Went to my meeting early came back at 10am to find the drunk people up stairs doing open dope deals in the parking lot.. called the cops and left

• Stayed January 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

First time I doubt about this hotel by reading the reviews, but I did not have a choice.
This is the only hotel with my budget range. The room was fine, and clean. It was quite enough, so I could take rest. The front desk person was friendly and helpful to give me detail information about the direction. Overall I am satisfy with this hotel and nothing to complaint.

Rachael

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Clover, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I was flying into Phoenix last minute and wanted to stay somewhere cheap. I had enough points through Choice Hotels to stay here for free. I rolled into the hotel (which is nowhere near the airport by the way) around 10:30pm. I walked into the reception area to a very strong smell of indian food. The staff was fast and efficient and I was in the room in minutes. The room was clean, but small. The AC unit was loud but not enough to keep me from sleeping. I woke up in the middle of the night with my alarm clock not working. Turns out that the power went out in most of the room. I had one light that worked and the tv still worked. Luckily I didn't need to be anywhere in the morning so not having the clock working wasn't that big a deal. The room looked to be in need of some renovations. It was clean, but old.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Holbrook, Arizona, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

My mom,little sister,and I had booked a room for a night because of how cheap it was.But then we found a place that was cheaper.My mom had called in to cancel our reservation because it was charged to my card.The lady "Rashreed" had refused to cancel.She was asking all kinds of personal questions on why we wanted to cancel.Then my mom had asked to talk to her supervisor and wouldnt let her.And so my mom asked for a number she could call to make a complaint.But the lady wouldnt give it to her.She was extremely rude.So we ended up having to keep our reservations.We were very upset.So then we get to the hotel.....scope it out.There was absolutely no clock in the room,some of the outlets didnt work,there wasnt fresh toilet paper put it.and to top it off my mom was unable to sleep due to a guy above us stomping around and making loud noises.we were in room 118.We will never stay at Rodeway Inn ever again.It was simply a waste of money!

Room Tip: Its a cheap hotel.....so youre gonna get what you pay for.Due yourself a favor and pay 10 more dolla...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Moorhead, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Being a Choice Hotels member I was looking for the cheap rate for a couple of nights. For an even bigger discount I booked by first singing into my EBATES account which gave me another 3% off the low government rate of $40.00. So thats the cheap rate down. I had room 111 ground floor external doors only. The room was a good size with two double beds. It was very clean and looked like it had recently updated. I had a new fridge in the room which still had tape holding the shelfs in place from the manufacture. The fridge is always a good plus. Hotel was in a good location for what I wanted but was a treck across PHX but that would happen no matter where you stayed. Down side was fairly loud most of the time. I could hear the light rail which passes right by the hotel. I could hear the staff going room to room to clean. They start really early and feel the need to move some cart up and down and bangs on everything. The breakfast is worthless big sign saying take one item only. Any way it was worth the under $40 i will eventually pay after rebates.

Room Tip: 111 was newly updated and appeared clean
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Rodeway Inn Near AZ State University? Share your experiences!