“Check for Cheap rates then worth the Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn Near AZ State University

Save Saved
You added Rodeway Inn Near AZ State University to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn Near AZ State University
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2101 E Apache Blvd, Tempe, AZ 85281 (Formerly AmeriLodge Tempe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #34 of 46 hotels in Tempe
Moorhead, Minnesota
“Check for Cheap rates then worth the Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Being a Choice Hotels member I was looking for the cheap rate for a couple of nights. For an even bigger discount I booked by first singing into my EBATES account which gave me another 3% off the low government rate of $40.00. So thats the cheap rate down. I had room 111 ground floor external doors only. The room was a good size with two double beds. It was very clean and looked like it had recently updated. I had a new fridge in the room which still had tape holding the shelfs in place from the manufacture. The fridge is always a good plus. Hotel was in a good location for what I wanted but was a treck across PHX but that would happen no matter where you stayed. Down side was fairly loud most of the time. I could hear the light rail which passes right by the hotel. I could hear the staff going room to room to clean. They start really early and feel the need to move some cart up and down and bangs on everything. The breakfast is worthless big sign saying take one item only. Any way it was worth the under $40 i will eventually pay after rebates.

Room Tip: 111 was newly updated and appeared clean
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
SGF, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed here one night during Spring Training because our other hotel was not available, the Rodeway was cheaper and had better reviews than anything else in the ASU area, and there was access to the light rail system to hit the Mill St district and the Phoenix Municipal stadium for a ballgame.
The property is very basic with your vehicle parked 5 ft from your door like many motels. When we checked in on a Saturday night, there was some type Mexican fiesta with music, dancing and drinking at a nearby property with a vacant lot separating it from the Rodeway. We thought, "Great, this will go on all night" however they were pretty controlled and cut the music off at a reasonable hour so it ended up being kind of interesting while it lasted. I wouldn't call the area around the hotel particularly "sketchy" but we exercised prudence as you would in any large city.
Our double room was pretty small but had a fridge, desk and small bathroom. No problems with either hot water, pressure or drainage. The ventilation system was very adequate if not particularly quiet but typical of motels of that era. There was a pool but we didn't use it. There was some noise trainsmitted from the parking lot and rooms as late travelers checked in or late night revelers returned but there weren't any large disturbances. The walls are pretty thin here.
The room was neat, clean and basic. It was fine for one night but I wouldn't plan an extended stay here unless I was alone on business, wanted to spend as few bucks as possible and still have access via the rail system.
Speaking of bucks, everything seems to appreciate dramatically during Spring Training. I paid $80 for a room that was probably worth $25-40 normally but I guess you have to roll with the punches during events. Had it not had access to the light rail with a station about a quarter mile away, I wouldn't have chosen this motel.
Check-in & out was quick. The Indian couple owning or managing the property must live on-site as the lobby smelled strongly of curry & spices like they had been cooking. They were efficient if not particularly friendly but they kept the place up and we had no complaints with the experience.

Room Tip: Couldn't tell you as all rooms are along one side of the parking lot on two floors. No buffer fr...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for two nights at the end of February. Though the hotel is in the middle of Tempe on a main road, there isn't anything nearby. The parking lot was visible from my window. There was a lock out door in the room, and sound went right through the door. Overall, I was satisfied and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Rodeway Tempe is great value for money. I stayed here while visiting some friends in the area. Room was very clean with a King bed which was quite comfortable. The desk people were very helpful and friendly. I was able to utilize the light rail across from this hotel quite often. It takes just 2 minutes to get to Mill Ave. entertainment district of Tempe. Overall I was very satisfied.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here with my husband a few months back in order to visit with one of my relatives living in a nearby retirement community, and it was a horrible place to stay. If I had known this, I would've paid the additional $10 to stay at another place, as I chose this one based on price and some good reviews since it's been remodeled.
We arrived in Tempe around 9pm and found the place shut for the evening. After we rang the after hours bell, the man at the front desk looked very irritated to be disturbed, and when we tried to make polite conversation, he was very rude. When we asked for a smoking room, he replied that there were none. To add insult, he stated that if he caught a sniff of a ciggarette in our room after we checked out, he would then charge my credit card. As I am used to not smoking indoors, I was very offended at the way treated us, and made sure that he saw me walk across the parking lot to outside of the property line to smoke.
And while this hotel should not be judged by the rude man behind the desk, there were also various other disappointing features. In our room, whenever you sat on the toilet, it would physically move. The tub/shower was dirty and the drain was clogged, often I was standing in several inches of water by the end of one. The TV went off one night while we were there, and when I tried to call the front desk there was no answer. I physically knocked on the door, and no answer either. Even after pushing the after hours bell, there was still no answer. This was extremely frustrating. The bed in our room was awful. The mattress was so thin I could feel every spring in it, and it was filthy. The sheets did not actually fit the bed and I would wake many times stuck to the actual mattress. I ended up putting my sleeping bag on top of the mattress in order to get a good nights sleep. The walls are also paper thin, as we discovered to waking up several times to very loud neighbors. There was no working ice machine on the property (and in AZ in the summer... this is a problem). The "continental breakfast" was a joke... no more than a few 7-11 bought pastries, terrible coffee and a juice box. And you are limited to only take one. Overall, I will never stay at this place again... The attitude was like they were doing ME a favor by letting me stay there, and with horrible service and sub-standard rooms they were lucky to have me there for two nights. If I could've changed hotels without being charged for our room, I would have.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

We were surprised to see a big change with the new managment. The service was excellent, rooms were very clean, we received four stars service for nominal price with paid. We certainly recommend, and we will be visiting again soon.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Rodeway Inn Near AZ State University? Share your experiences!