“Lovely place to stay in Tempe” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Sleep In & Save 20%!
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Tempe
Madison, Wisconsin
“Lovely place to stay in Tempe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The hotel itself was great. I loved my room, the, view, and the location. Staff were all fantastic as well. Based on the location it could have been very noisy (and I'm a light sleeper) but it was nice and quiet. The only downside was the internet connection which was so slow it was essentially unusable. I was traveling for work and had hoped to do some work from my hotel room. That was not possible for me and I had to drive into the office.

Fix the internet and it would be a 5 star review from me. Oh, and a sign indicating where to park would be a nice bonus too as the (public parking) sign made me wary it wasn't the right place.

Room Tip: The higher up the more likely you'll be away from the street noise. I stayed on the 9th floor an...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jeffrey K, General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for the great review. We are certainly proud of this new hotel here in downtown Tempe. I appreciate your comments about areas we could improve, this is the primary source we use for improvement.
I am thrilled to report that next week the internet will be upgraded from a T1 to fiberoptic which will significantly improve our internet speeeds.
We have contracted a local signage company to help increase awareness to navigate our covered parking garage - that should be done within the month as well.
We look forward to your next visit to Tempe!

~Jeff (GM)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Atascadero, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Where do I begin? Worst hotel experience in Phoenix. On my list of worst ever anywhere.
1) The internet is unusable -- pingtest results were 600ms, and 130kbps max download. Absolutely unusable.
2) The Air conditioning vent blows directly onto the bed, so you alternate between too hot and too cold all night long.
3) You have to PAY for parking, and its a pain in the rear end
4) We left our room at noon (with the cleaning staff still cleaning rooms near ours), and we returned at the end of the day to a room that hadn't been cleaned.
5) The previous guests greasy "five guys" bag was left in the room
6) It's a party neighborhood, so lots of drunken students making all sorts of noise outside all night long (I'm listening to a drunken tuba player right now).

Unless you want a horrible hotel in a neighborhood full of drunken students, choose another hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jeffrey K, General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
I appreciate your business and you bringing some of these questions to my attention. As the GM of a brand new hotel it is important for me to understand our guest's experiences. Let me, briefly, respond.
1) Because of your review I found that our internet was not restricted properly which allowed people to abuse our bandwidth - leaving others with very slow speeds. This has now been corrected.
2) This was very helpul as most of our staff have not actuall slept in the beds. We are working on a solution to divert the airflow so it is not directly on the bed.
3) We've priced our parking costs at or lower than that of other hotels in the area.
4&5) I apologize for this oversight. This simply should not have happened and I've addressed it with the staff.
6) Agreed. We are a downtown location and, on big nights there are a lot of people in the streets. We do, however, have several rooms that are not on the street and offer extremely quite environments. If you, or anyone else, would prefer one of those rooms we'd be happy to oblige.

again, I appreciate your candid feedback and assure you that we do read and listen to our guests comments.

thank you.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Will definately make this my first choice in Tempe. walking distance to Mill Ave and to A mountain for a morning run. The roof top pool is an added bonus. Having a full size fridge is great for longer stays.

Hello! Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write about it. I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed staying at this brand new hotel. Please come back and visit soon!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We recently had an overnight stay at the Residence Inn. It was a great experience. Upon walking in, you feel as though you have entered a modern apartment building lobby. Parking is convenient as it is in the attached garage (free on weekends).

The room was well laid out and nicely decorated. We are not ones to usually stay at a Residence Inn, but were happy with our selection. The room was super clean and inviting. The colors are bright and modern touches made it feel fresh. The one downside was that the air conditioner vents were directly across from the bed and made for a breezy nights sleep. But the air worked great... which you definitely need in AZ.

The morning breakfast in the lobby was excellent. They had all of the basics covered and one really can't complain as it is all well prepared.

The front desk staff was efficient, friendly and personable.

For the rates, you really can't beat it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are ecstatic to now be open here in the heart of Downtown Tempe. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at this very atypical Residence Inn. We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Residence Inn Tempe Downtown is in a fantastic location, just across from Sun Devil Stadium and steps away from the center of Mill Avenue. You can walk easily to restaurants, bars, shopping, ASU campus, etc. Parking is very easy in the attached garage. Also, the light rail and bus stops are just across the street. Additionally, the hotel offers a complimentary airport shuttle. I chose this hotel (despite being a local) because I had an event and needed to be close by. Plus, I wanted to be able to walk since I would be drinking.

The rooms are quite nice. They are the new Residence Inn design and are modern & comfortable. The layout of the room really works well and truly has a residential feel. I especially enjoyed the great work space layout in the room. The room did have some cleanliness issues. There was hair on the bathroom floor and their seemed to still be some dust from construction.

The associates I encountered were all especially friendly and helpful. All things considered, it was a very good stay and I would definitely consider a return visit.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that face into the interior corridor-- they're darker and have a view mostly of the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
PHXTD, Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Hi Alex B.

Thank you so much for being our very first review on our Trip Advisor Page! We especially appreciate your comments on how to make our hotel an even better experience for future guests. We have followed up with our housekeeping department and will see to it that we are keeping a lookout for construction dust that may be lingering around. We're so glad you found our staff to be helpful and friendly and that you enjoyed your stay!

Been to Residence Inn Tempe Downtown? Share your experiences!