“Tough call not giving it a 5” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 588 Restaurants in Tempe
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Chandler, Arizona
“Tough call not giving it a 5”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

First time at this place - being a craft brewer myself this was a must experience. Tucked away in an economically challenged neighborhood you wouldn't expect to see micro-brewery/restaurant. But there it sits - the old Borden's Creamery converted to a micro-brewery. We took a table outdoors and street side under the umbrellas and misters.
I had the Raj IPA and Hop Knoct IPA both excellent if you enjoy hoppy beers which I love. My wife had the Sunbru - light and refreshing it wasn't bad to my palet but she loved it heaps because it wasn't too heavy.
The food was excellent - I had the pizza she had the eggs Benedict. Both would certainly be repeat meals and we weren't disappointed. My wife also had desert - the Stoutamisu - EXCELLENT!! The portion size was HUGE - I got stuck into as well - very rich. Between the two of us we could only eat half.
No room for improvement on the service. The manager Terry Pepper even stopped by the table to see how we liked things. Picked his brain a bit on beers. The inside you could see all tanks in the brewery - shame we couldn't go behind the scenes but they are setup for it.
Being close to ASU I believe like many customers and workers were students.

My only quibble, and reason for dropping it back to a 4 out of 5 was the place is very small and from what I was told always packed so arrive during off peak hours. Street parking is also hard to find. The outdoors seating area was very tight and street side so car fumes, load bikes going by and people smoking made for a bit of discomfort. And we had lot of flys buzzing around during our meal. Flys have been especially bad in Phoenix this year and because of the open air style restaurant/bar I'm sure a few flies were buzzing around inside as well.

This is a must drink and eat place if you live in Phoenix area.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tempe AZ
“Great for Beer and Bar Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Great at what it is. Great selection of beers, decent and affordable bar food. Fun but not a culinary destination.

Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Can't Beat the Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Great food great beer. Totally enjoyed the experience, but it was crowded and a little loud. We asked for a table for eight and didn't have to wait long, even with the crowds. Service was excellent, prices were reasonable. Anyone that thinks the prices are high hasn't been to Chicago lately. Good selection of food and beer. I am not a beer drinker, but the peach ale was good and I finished it. Parking is on a local street and can be problem. We walked a couple of blocks. The crowd was mostly college kids, but just there to have a good time and relax.
Didn't see anything about tours of the brewery. Something to check into.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Super!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I needed an upbeat place for a beer and dinner. Boy did we pick it right! Had a great time with the best chicken enchiladas I have had in 15 years!

Visited May 2013
Tempe
“Awesome place, even for non drinkers ;)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The place provides awesome food. It's a noisy place but if you want good food, this is one of the places. The food is a bit on the expensive side. The staff is courteous.

Visited April 2013