“Cheap, clean, but not quiet” 2 of 5 stars

University Motel
902 South Mill Ave, Tempe, AZ 85281   |
Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in Tempe
Arizona
“Cheap, clean, but not quiet”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Did not expect much being so cheap and close to the campus, but the room was clean, and had a king size bed, fridge, microwave, and a huge closet. The problem with this place is the soundproofing. There is none. Street noise from a bar district, and neighbors, who need to smoke outside their rooms will leave you sleepless in Tempe. It's that bad. If you stay there bring ear plugs. There is an advantage in being deaf if you stay here.

Room Tip: Get a room far from the steet, and community ashtray. Bring earplugs
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are small and dingy, shower stall has crud, ceiling has water damage, and refrigerator smells musty.

So why would you stay here? The bottom line is that it's a decent place to crash if you're visiting friends at the University or partying on Mill Street. You can't beat the price especially compared to the Marriott or Mission Palms.

In addition, the owner is very nice and has to put up with a lot of crap between homeless people harrassing him (not saying anything against this population as a whole but it happens), drunkards wreaking havoc, and people too cheap to shell out $15 per extra person (which is a heck of a lot better than sleeping nowhere).

Note the parking spaces are narrow so be cautious opening your car doors and the walls are thin so be kind to your neighbors.

You got a comfortable bed to sleep in without busting your wallet. This is not the Waldorf but you already knew that.

• Stayed March 2012
Tempe, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

My bf and I like to escape our roomies every couple of weeks, and we found this little gem in the heart of downtown Tempe.
There's no room service, the ice machine works periodically, and there's no cute little shampoo in the shower. What there is: a huge comfortable bed with clean white sheets, better-than-basic cable, an AC that will freeze you out if you let it, and the sweet little Indian couple that runs the place. The rooms have a fridge and a microwave in them, there's a CVS less than 50 yards away if you need something to drink or munch on, and there's 20 proper restaurants within walking distance on Mill Avenue.
The office always smells like delicious Indian food when you show up, too, and I love that because Indian is my favorite.

Can't beat the value. Tell 'em room 217 sent you!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

We pulled into this motel on a whim because we wanted to be within walking distance to the main Mill St. strip. I actually had a positive experience with the owner/manager upon walking in and booking the room; however, within 10 seconds of walking in, we found a live cockroach in our bathroom and two dead ones in the bedroom/living area. I was thoroughly grossed out, but in reality, we were just gonna crash there so we hurried out of the room and hit the bars. The toilet also clogged immediately and the place was somewhat run down, but it was cheap so that was to be expected. I didn't even bother to complain/ask the manager for a discount due to the unexpected guests...just chalked it up as a lesson learned. Don't book no name places!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Tempe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

This motel is a dump with old furniture and appliances that do not work. The AC kept making unusual vibrating noise, and when I told the owner he won't acknowledge it or even look at it.

You get one very small bar of soap when you use it crumbles into pieces. The office and outside always smelled Indian curry food. I won't stay there not even if they paid me.

Cheap partiers stay there and arrive to the room after 2am to party even more.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — customer service by cheap Indian owner
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2007

I wish I had read these other review earlier. They were right on. The place is a dump. The motel has doors that won't close, broken televisions and air conditioners and is infested with cockroaches. It has also changed its name to University Inn and Suites, so beware! The owner/on site manager is a true con artist! When I called to reserve the room for my group of architecture students he quoted me one price, but when we showed up (after paying a 50% deposit) he said that the price was now higher and insisted either we pay more or go someplace else. He tried to gouge our group for extra fees at every chance he got, insisting on extra room cleaning charges and fees for additional towels. He also locked us all out of our rooms when we were at breakfast and demanded $10 per room for re-entry so we could retrieve our suitcases! When I asked him to inspect our rooms at check-out (to avoid the possibility of him fabricating damage) he threw a fit and told me that even if he did not see damage now, he may see it later and will charge our credit cards. He is a certifiable lunatic! This is all totally true, and I have two other faculty members and thirty students to corroborate these facts. I am considering reporting the motel to the Better Business Bureau.

• Stayed April 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Monica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2006

Sleepy concierge spent about an hour to give me a key from the room. It appeared to be that price for the room was much higher than it was stated on hotel.com when I booked the room. Room was dirty, with black spots on the carpet and we suspect with insects in the bed (my girlfriend had twenty bites on her legs in the morning…). Room was with the view to the trash-container and homeless people gathered nearby all night long. Originally I booked the room only for one night but later decided I would stay for two nights. So, I called hotel well in advance to change the reservation, so I could stay longer. Manager at hotel told me that this is not a problem and I could stay extra night. Next morning in hotel we were waked up by loud nocking the door and then multiple telephone calls informing us that we have to vacate the room in 10 minutes… Because, the manager of hotel have no evidence that I booked second night. It was first time in US when person was really rude to me in hotel. He insisted that I am a liar (that I called hotel to reserve second night) and told me he’ll call police if I’ll not vacate the room in 10 minutes… It’s entirely true story. Sergey

• Liked — Nothing, horrible!
  • Disliked — incects in the bed
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid this place! Seriosly overpriced!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to University Motel? Share your experiences!