“You get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Phoenix Tempe - Broadway - Asu
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   513 W Broadway Rd, Tempe, AZ 85282   |
Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
Austin, Texas
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I started by calling this "European Minimalist", but eventually the list of negatives grew so long, it would have been a slap in the face to all of Europe. 1. Full size blanket on queen bed; 2. Bed almost as hard as the floor; 3. Sun-rotted drapes and gaps around door allowed enough light for me to read with all lights off; 4. One washcloth in the room (2 adults, 3 nights); 5. Water pressure was PAINFUL. Maybe it beat the dirt off so I wouldn't need a washcloth? 6. Stained towel; 7. "sitting area" in the room required that we bring our own chairs; 8. Cigarette burns in the worn bedspread; 9. Room repairs were purely functional (who cares if it looked good?); 10. One call to the front desk--they never answered. If not for a Nascar event jacking up prices in Phoenix, we would have stayed someplace better. Hope to never return to this place.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Pocatello, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is the motel that has made me decide to NEVER use Motel 6 again. Where do I begin...was it the police cars in the parking lot? Or maybe the roach crawling across the ceiling? OK, I could forgive that, it is Phoenix after all. But come on Motel 6, the cigarette burns all over the beds and curtains? Sick. The walls were sticky, I shudder just thinking about it. This place is just sketchy and gross...you can find better.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I wish we could give this place a big fat zero. A COMPLETE dump!! This place is falling apart they use electrical tape to "fix" things, cockroaches everywhere, dead bugs in the sheets, the bathroom door wouldn't close because the toilet got in the way, I mean really?!? We slept in our clothes and shoes on top of the sheets for fear of coming in contact with anything. We actually had a blanket in the car that we placed on the bed so we literally would not come in contact with anything. We wanted to go somewhere else but it was late, it had been raining all day and we had been driving from the east coast all week and we were almost home to CA. We kept telling ourselves it's only one night and we'll be home tomorrow. Anyone who wrote a good review for this place clearly must work for them. I wasn't expecting a Wyndham or Hilton by any means, we've stayed at Motel 6's before and had very good experiences, this is by far and way the worst motel we have EVER stayed at. They live up to the roach motel label. Do yourself a favor and spend a few more bucks for your peace of mind and ability to actually get some sleep.

Stayed March 2014
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

For this price range ($50.00 to $60.00)(of course I got the old farts discount) I was very happy to find a nice, quiet, clean room with a very comfortable bed, (nice and firm, no sagging) a clean bathroom that worked properly, room to walk around or sit at the table. Good individual reading lamps at the head of the bed.
We got there at midnight and they gladly gave us a late check out. When I go to Mesa to visit my Mother in the future, I am going to stay there. In this area I think you will get the best bang for your buck.
I'm not sure about these other revues, but I did notice they were a couple or few years old, so I guess it has changed.

Room Tip: For rooms at the lower pricwe range You cant beat it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

According to my last two night's experience, this motel has gone downhill. The location is still great as you are surrounded by fast food places, banks, a couple of bars, gas station right next door, and you are not far from the Arizona Mills Mall and the funky Mills Avenue area.
However, the ac would not adjust and could be turned to low, the bedspread had dried mustard on its underside, the remote battery cover kept popping off and the batteries dropping out, and the cliental in the next couple of rooms (with their fights and crying) left a lot to be desired. I took the bedspread into the office, asked for a new one, and one was never brought to the room. I used the chair back to deflect the super cool air blowing on my head as the left and right direction controls were broken or missing.
It still seems a safe area for families and perhaps a room inspection before settling in would be the way to go.
There is a great park and pool 1/2 block to the left and then right on Roosevelt for a block. Lots of dog room, but the dog must be on a leash. The park even provides some doggy waste bags and since no one was around I let the dog run free. There is a nice small lawn area outside the front of the motel for you and your dog to relax on. PLEASE, pick up the dog waste. So many owners seem to feel it is their right to leave the waste for the hotel to take care of and that is why so many places charge us dog owners. Watch your pet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

The police visited almost every day due to the shady characters. The staff was EXTREMELY rude, insulting, and threatening to me when there was a mistake about my reservation. Even after discovering their mistake, I didn't get an apology for the hostility and threats to call the police and have me put on the street. It was beyond horrible.

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

First time ever I have had what I would call a below average room. Drapes had burn holes as well as the bedspread. Bathroom flooring was missing in one place and the molding sure needed an upgrade. The ac had no vent on it and it blew directly onto my head no matter how I lay. The first room I was sent to was wide open with towels on the floor and no sheets.
HOWEVER, the front desk lady was so embarrassed and walked me through several choices, door to door, in order to make sure I had a clean room. Unfortunately, the room was not very good.
As always, super staff and this is a wonderful location. Drive down Mill Ave to the lite rail stop and enjoy the whole city for $3.50 all day. All around the motel are fast foods, a great bar and grill across the street, and the Tailgater Bar and Grill a couple blocks down. Gas station right next door, too.

Nice area out front for walking the dog and sitting in the grass. Will return to give it another try.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Motel 6 Phoenix Tempe - Broadway - Asu? Share your experiences!