“A home away from home!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Book early and Save 20%
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nehalem, Oregon
“A home away from home!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

The management and staff at this hotel are amazing!! Very courteous, helpful, friendly and accommodating. Rooms are very clean, modern and comfortable. The location is great. Close to airport, shopping and really nice restaurants. Shuttle service at this hotel is also above and beyond what you would expect !!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

we felt like family. The staff was awesome and made us feel at home away from home. This hotel had a great location and wonderful staff that was eager to assist in any request. Although I did not use it, the shuttle service seems an awesome addition to the enjoyment of local entertainment. I would highly recommend this hotel to all walks of life. Clean, inviting, spacious and economic. A PLUS

• Stayed November 2010
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

this hotel could not have done more for us if they tried! Exceptional service, went out of their way for my Ironman and the entire family. If we go back next year, this is where we will stay again

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

Have stayed at this hotel a couple of times. I have made it the benchmark that I compare all other hotels to. I have not stayed at another hotel in the price range(great value) that is better. Great staff and very clean.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Albuquerque, Nm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Country Inn & Suites in Tempe is very, very close to ASU just north of the 202 Loop on Scottsdale Rd. The free airport shuttle was not available upon arrival at Sky Harbor but I was told to take a cab and the hotel would pay for it. I've heard this spiel before and have heard horror stories about this, but everything turned out fine -- the front desk clerk was waiting under the porte-cochere when we arrived after a short 5 minute drive from Terminal 4 and the driver was promptly paid. My reservation was in place and my time at the front desk was brief. The friendly folks at the front desk gave me a "goodie bag" (full of hard candy, chips & a breakfast bar) and two bottles of cold water to take to my room. Not posh by any standards but a nice gesture nonetheless.

I did not get the room I booked; it was parents' weekend at ASU and they were full and someone else got the 1-bedroom suite I booked. I ended up the first night in a "whirlpool" room, which had a spa tub in the corner. Not what I wanted but the room was large and it was clean and well-stocked with towels, bathroom amenities and -- get this -- robes. It also had a small refrigerator (which even on "max cold" never got very chilly), microwave and coffee maker. Despite the fact the hotel was full I was surprised how quiet it was. The next day (Sunday) the hotel pretty had pretty much cleared out by noon and it was very quiet for the next two days. In fact, I only encountered one other guest during the next two days. The front desk offered to move me to my originally-booked suite, which was a true suite with a door closing off the bedroom from the living room, two TV's and central air conditioning. The remotes in my new room did not work (batteries) and -- interestingly -- there was no alarm clock in the bedroom. Some might make a big deal over these things but not me; maybe I'm too easy to please, LOL. I just changed the batteries on the remotes and used my cell for an alarm clock. Best thing? The refrigerator in my suite worked very, very well and kept my drinks very cold. Unfortunately there isn't a convenience store close by (maybe a mile away) but the front desk sells bottled water for $1 and slightly larger bottles of water are available in the vending machine, also for $1. I didn't partake of the complimentary breakfast, opting to wait until 10:30 AM when the In 'N Out Burger (across the street and -- maybe -- a 1/4 mile south) would open so I could have a double double. You need to make advance reservations for the shuttle back to the airport so I'd suggest doing that the day before you leave, if not sooner.

I kept the "do not disturb" sign on my door at all times and when I'd leave my room a member of housekeeping would ask if I needed anything -- towels, bed made, floors vacuumed, trash emptied -- anything. My own needs are pretty simple so I always said, "No, thank you," which seemed to disappoint them. The only thing I asked of housekeeping was some extra towels when I moved to my new room and the housekeeper who brought them to me said, with a smile, "Are you SURE you don't need me to clean up or make the bed?" I assured her all was right with my room and I slipped her a couple of bucks for the towels, which seemed to make her happy.

I checked out at 11:50 AM on the day of my departure and front desk clerk Bryce was waiting to take me to Sky Harbor, which he did so very swiftly and efficiently. All in all? A nice stay. Look, it's not plush nor posh nor fancy and yeah, there were a couple of shortcomings that might make some people downright cranky but for a clean, large, comfortable room under $100 a night (with free Wi-Fi!) what is there to complain about? When I'm spending less that $100 I don't have high expectations but I would have to say my expectations where met and even exceeded, specifically by the front desk and housekeeping staff.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
's-Gravenzande
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

We came to Tempe because we wanted to go to Trader Vic's and we found this hotel which wasn't too far away and besides that it was cheap. Service was good and so were our rooms. Staff was friendly. We got a welcome bag with goodies. Altho this hotel is close to the highway and airport we had a good stay and traffic/planes didn't bother us.

• Stayed September 2010
Austin, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

I had a business meeting in Phoenix earlier that day and planned to stay in the Country Inn near the airport that night so I could rest up for an early morning flight the next day. I was looking forward to my stay because I had used, enjoyed Country Inns in other cities.

Country Inn-Phoenix Airport staff REPEATEDLY assured me via phone when I made the reservation that they offered free courtesy van pickup from, and dropoff at the airport, from early AM til late at night, so I decided to return my rental car and rely on the shuttle to take me to the hotel. BIG MISTAKE!!

When the time came, I returned my rental car to the airport around noon (weekday) and REPEATEDLY tried to call the hotel to request a courtesy van pick up. Every time I dialed the number, the phone would ring and ring, then the call would abruptly end as if a block had been placed on the phone number or someone picked up, then quickly hung up the phone. After nearly an HOUR of unsuccessfully trying to reach them on two different cell phones, I called other hotels for other options. They were either completely full or considerably more expensive. Finally disgusted with the entire experience--not to mention the Phoenix airport, which is an exercise in navigation confusion and chaos hell, I was lucky enough to book an earlier flight out of Phoenix that same afternoon.

Bottom line: Country Inns-Phoenix Airport LIE about courtesy shuttle availability. Their limited staff are either lazy or overwhelmed at checkout time and lack the simple decency to let their guests know that the shuttle is NOT available upon request. Instead, they just passively-aggressively avoid airport calls for service by hanging up or blocking their phones.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Country Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport at Tempe? Share your experiences!