“Not what I expected.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Tempe
Winnipeg, Canada
“Not what I expected.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We always stay in great hotels. This one was certainly not one of them. Firstly we arrived late and had a person outside having a cigarette tell us how to get a hold of the front staff...there is no way they know you are there unless you dial 0 on the telephone that is between the 2 doors. When she arrived she was friendly but so unkempt. It was a bit of a first impression put off. When we got to our room I was so disappointed. Being told that the cleaning staff only come once a week and we would have to make our own bed and get our own towels made me angry. It didn't get any better...I found the hotel to be in need of cleaning and some renovations.

I lost a charm in the room and when I called they advised they would check with housekeeping and call me back...they never did. I called again the next day and was put on hold for over 10 minutes.

Would not recommend if you are looking for something much more than they offer...

Room Tip: Don't expect too much from this hotel. Felt like a sleazy motel to me.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Phoenix Tempe, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear TeresaA56,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I'm sorry your stay was negatively affected by the condition of the room and with the staff at the front desk. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests as these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I've always enjoyed my stay at the Candlewood Suites hotels. The hotel staff at Candlewood in Tempe, AZ always make me feel welcome from check in to check out and they are extremely hospitable and family-friendly. When time to depart, it's like leaving my family members. The rooms are very much suited for all my traveling needs and more. I've never met such a friendly staff who seems to generally care about their customers/occupants. I would definitely recommend and stay at Candlewood-Tempe whenever I come to town. Thank you Veronica, Maria, Carla, Ester and everyone for a fantastic stay at your hotel!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is a very hard one to review. I'll start with the good: the room. The room was very spacious (1 bedroom suite), it was very clean and the bed and linens were comfortable. There were TVs in the living room and bedroom which helps out a lot if you are traveling with kids. The front desk was very friendly and knowledgeable. Now for the not so good: The hotel smells like a cheap car air freshener. If you get headaches you will get one instantly from this smell. The good thing is the smell does not permeate the room. The hallways are in desperate need of new carpet. It is great that they offer free laundry, however, the laundry machines were one step away from gross. Do not do laundry there unless absolutely necessary. And then we come to the pool, which is situated at the end of the parking lot. It is tiny and surrounded by a few pathetic chairs about 20 feet from a major road. Not very inviting. There are also ashtrays outside of every door, so when you come into or out of the hotel you get the "pleasure" of walking through everyone's smoke.
If you are not going to spend a lot of time in the actual hotel then this place is fine for the money, if you're looking for anything "nice", this is not it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Phoenix Tempe, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear travelwith3,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It's great to hear your positive feedback about our clean and comfortable room accommodations and helpful staff. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am very sorry that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your standards in particular the unpleasant scent of air freshener and other areas in our facility. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments has been forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction.

Lera P
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Overall this is an average Candlewood Suites and it came with the usual things I've come to expect. We had some problems in the room but it wasn't a big deal and it was fixed fairly quickly. I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

These towels will tear you up pretty bad if you don't rub your body gently. My torso was reddened, but after the first day, I just dabbed myself dry. They are striped and cause itching. Everything else at the hotel was excellent. The free laundry makes up for thev lack of breakfast, but they do offer free coffee (Maxwell House) in the AM and all day for that matter. They have a large amount of convenience store stuff also and that unusual honor system to pay for things. Not sure about making us pay for tea bags, but you can also cook and stuff in the room. The beds were great and it is a nice property overall.

Room Tip: 330 has nobody on both sides
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is not a bad hotel. The room furniture and bathroom are renovated and pretty nice. I had a "queen bed" room. The bed seems a little small - almost felt like a full size bed - for some reason. The space next to the bed is a little tight.

The location is convenient but not really close to the action of Tempe.

It seems 1/2 of the 3rd floor is smoking so beware if you don't like smoke.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the smoking section if you don't like smoke. Unfortunately the smoking...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

the hotel is fine but I still can not get over when the desk staff is not trained to acknowledge a PLATINUM MEMBER......this is just a major flaw in training,,,,this is such a major part of Candlewood Suites programs, there is no excuse for this poor treatment of your best clients......TRAIN YOUR STAFF

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Phoenix Tempe, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear glendale215,

Ben J
IHGCare

Been to Candlewood Suites Phoenix Tempe? Share your experiences!