“Love It, Would Stay Again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Inn & Suites Tempe

You added Red Lion Inn & Suites Tempe to your Saves list
Red Lion Inn & Suites Tempe
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1429 N Scottsdale Road, Tempe, AZ 85281 (Formerly Hampton Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
Pennsylvania
“Love It, Would Stay Again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

I was in the Phoenix area for business and did not want to stay in Phoenix so I choose a hotel near some business clients in the Tempe area.

The hotel is very unique for a Hampton. The lobby was a bit small but very nice. The check in was quick and the staff were pleasant.

The hotel is made up of different corridors, where you access your room from the outside. It may sound kind of motelish without seeing the setup however it is not at all. They gave us a room on the second floor with a view of the pool. The room was one of the smallest I have ever stayed in for a Hampton. It had two double beds. The one bed was almost right against the window and the other bed you could step out of and be in the bathroom. The nice part was that the sink and vanity was not in the bathroom which makes it nice for more than one person getting ready. The room had a nice flat screen TV, with coffee maker and fridge. They had complimentary snacks in the room which I thought was a nice touch. Besides the room being small, I thought it was good.

The pool was nice and clean. They provided towels at the pool area. Between the corridors of the hotel were several seating areas all arranged very pleasantly with great landscaping. The one corridor had a nice putting green.

The breakfast area was one of the best parts of the hotel. Even though the hotel doesn't have much of a view of anything but buildings, the outside breakfast area made for a nice touch. You had your choice of seating inside or outside on a very nice covered patio with flat screen TV's, tables, chairs, and couches. Of course for those chilly mornings there were outside heaters. The breakfast was good. The usual for any Hampton Inn breakfast (i.e. a few hot items, along with pastries, toast, bagels, cereal, juice & coffee).

The hotel had free parking and there was plenty of space.

I had stayed at this hotel for one night and went to a different hotel the next three nights to be in the Glendale area. I would have much rather been at this hotel and just put up with the extra driving back and forth. Great hotel all together. Would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Palm Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

I stay in a lot of Hampton Inns as I travel frequently for business and generally choose this chain. I selected this property over the Hampton in Mesa due to the better TripAdvisor reviews for the Tempe location.

The location is close to major freeways, ASU (obviously), and services. The hotel itself was a bit more "motel-ish" than other Hamptons I've stayed in recently. The property is made up of several three-level buildings with outside corridors leading to rooms.

I had a standard king room and was surprised by how small it was. Impressive, though, was the flat-panel TV. The bed and furnishings were typical Hampton Inn quality (nice) and the room, as usual with Hamptons, was spotless. This chain knows how to train housekeeping staff and maintain high standards across the entire chain.

I was really disappointed, though, in the noise transfer between rooms. I could hear, with amazing clarity, the phone conversation of the room next door ... and she seemed to be talking in a normal-toned voice. I could easily hear people walking above me, too. For me, personally, this made the property less desirable.

This property still seems to be one of the top ranked Hamptons in the area and the price I paid was very competitive.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Small rooms and thin walls
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
La Verne, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

I am writing this as I am still at the hotel.. Fast & very friendly check in. The rooms are extremely small, but the comfortable bed makes up for that. The bathroom is big with the vanity set up around the corner outside of the bathroom. One can shower while someone else can get ready at the sink .The biggest downfall was the noise.. With the outdoor corridors, you can hear every guest returning to their rooms whether it is day or night.. We are here for Spring Training so I'm sure there may be a few spring breakers partying. The walls and ceiling are super thin.. There must have been a family above us with children, as I heard every little step. We decided to check out a day early and the staff didn't charge us for our final day. That's a plus.. They do offer a complimentary breakfast, which we only got coffee and a muffin. They do offer eggs and bacon. Didn't use the pool, but it is decent size and quite a few kids were enjoying it. Also offers wireless which I did use. The location is really close to ASU and downtown Tempe.. Great bars and nightlife. AC alittle loud. If I was to stay here again, would probably try a suite for alittle more space, but the noise may keep me away. I am giving this place an above average rating due to the staff's customer service. Friendly & competent is hard to find somethimes.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

Loved the suite, the staff was very friendly and helpful, loved the shuttle service to the airport, pool was great (heated, a plus in January even in AZ), the "courtyard" was very relaxing. We go to Tempe every January and this is first time we stayed here and will be going back next year.

• Liked — How the place is laid out, it's like a resort.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

This hotel is less than a 10 minute drive to Scottsdale and the price is very reasonable for what you get.The staff are very friendly and the property was always buzzing with staff doing there job...what a change. The Grounds are very clean and well kept. The room itself was also very clean and cozy.

The room provided a kitchenette ( fridge, microwave, dishwasher, cooktop, dishes, cuttlery pots etc.). There is a small sitting area and bedroom with two queen size beds. The bedroom area also had a flat screen television mounted on the wall. The bedroom area can be closed off to living room area by two french style doors. The living/kitchen area also had a floor model television. The room itself was tastefully decorated.

The bathroom needs to be updated but it served its purpose for a toilet and a shower. There was also a large closet area.

Free wireless acess in the room.

The property itself boasted two nice sized pools and a small putting green ( great for kids). The property was also patrolled 24 hours a day by security. Breakfast included as per all Hampton Inns.

Stayed January 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

We reserved a room for one night. We wanted to stay for 2, but decided to look at the room first. It seemed OK, so we told the front desk we would stay for 2 nights. We were traveling with our 2 year old. We put her to sleep in the living room part of the room and my husband took a shower. The water was stuck on scalding hot-impossible to use and dangerous! We tried to call the front desk that night, but we couldn't get the bedroom phone to work and didn't want to wake the baby to use the living room phone. When we called the front desk the next morning, the girl said she didn't know when the shower could be fixed. The manager wasn't there and no one knows his schedule. Finally she offered to change our room. So then we moved all our stuff halfway across the property from upstairs to downstairs, without an elevator or luggage cart and dragging a screaming 2-year old. Then we left to sight-see and keep an appointment. At 11:30 the manager was finally there, but he suggested the shower could have been fixed that night and we should have called then. I said the phone didn't work, even if it did, I didn't want people coming into the room and waking up the baby. Even still, I doubt anyone would have come that late (8:30pm) because when I called in teh morning, the girl said she didn't know when anyone could come and fix it. Surely, during business hours (it was 7:30am) they could know when their maintenance worker could come, yet they couldn't and the manager actually said someone would have come that night. Or he said he could have switch our room that night. Impossible! We were totally set up, with a baby sleeping. And I had already been to the supermarket to stock up the fridge. And we forgot her night light when we did switch rooms, but no one knows what happened to it. Teh only thing the manager offered to do was give us half off our first night. That isn't good enough for the huge inconvenience, not to mention the danger of that scalding water. Plus he made it seem like it was our fault for not calling that night.

In addition, the breakfast wasn't that great. Each morning we had to inform the attendant that she was out of something. How hard is her job that she can't look and see if there are tater tots in a bin? And no coffee? Lazy!

I wouldn't stay here again if it was $1 a night.

Stayed September 2007
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

Our last nite in AZ, getting up early for a flight. We picked this hotel based on AAA listing and Tripadvisor reviews. We were surprised when we arrived. Personally, I was concerned with the area neighborhood and businesses surrounding this hotel, along with the exterior doors of the hotel. Granted, I am not familiar with Tempe, but I tend to not stay in hotels that are near strip clubs, adult video stores and pawn shops. We were unable to find a nice chain restaurant nearby and ended up at Quinzo's and took it back to our room. We booked online for $90/nite and were upgraded to a suite upon arrival w/o requesting it. Our original room was on the front near the busy street that other reviews mentioned, so we requested another room. The clerk was very friendly and quick to change our room. However, our new room concerned me b/c of the proximity to parking and my general safety concern - also, we appeared to be only one of a few people in our building so it felt isolated. Once inside our room, we smelled old smoke and a call to the desk assured us it was a non-smoking room that simply did not have its sign. Regardless, it smelled bad. Despite all that, once we were in our room, we found it to be nice. Internet access was easy, the bed was very comfy, the shower was nice and the wake up call came as requested -- oh, at the breakfast was good. The Hampton Inn did have nice touches.... a to-go breakfast that became my lunch on the plane, complimentary newspaper, etc. I would not stay here again based solely on the location.

Stayed June 2007

Been to Red Lion Inn & Suites Tempe? Share your experiences!