“Cool fixed up modern looking hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Graduate Tempe

You added Graduate Tempe to your Saves list
Graduate Tempe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe, AZ 85281 (Formerly Twin Palms Hotel)   |
Special Offer
Midweek Package Promotion
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
San Diego, California
“Cool fixed up modern looking hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Rooms were nice, new furnishings, right on campus. Very short walk to downtown Tempe (Mill Ave.). Reasonable rate for location. No tub, shower only. Nice balcony for fresh air. Restaurant next door was crowded and open late. Mill St is about a mile away with numerous dining options. Mid week rate was reasonable considering location right next to campus.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I recently stayed at The Graduate as I had business at ASU and wanted to help my son pack up to move home following his freshman year at ASU. What a great hotel! I wanted to say "Fun" hotel but that word seems too frivolous for the quality of the product delivered. The theme of this hotel is college in the 1960s with modern, edgy twists. It is a bit like Andy Warhol designed the decor in a funky yet comfortable way. The aesthetic is pleasing from the plug in alarm clock that has a real clock face (the kind I had when I went to college in the 1980s) to the lamps that any 1960s family home would covet, no detail is left to chance. From a practical point of view, the beds are oh so comfortable with ample fluffy pillows. There is a big comfy chair that tends to get in the way of accessing the beautiful patio that, in my case, overlooked the ASU campus.. The towels are also large, super bright white, thick and soft. All lead to a fun and luxurious experience. The student id card as a key is very cute!

The only areas for improvement are the air-conditioners which can be outrageouly loud as they come on. I stayed for two nights and on the first night my son decided to stay overnight at the hotel with me because it was quiet and he could write a final paper for a class. He informed me that he intended to stay up until 2:00 or so writing it. Well, I was on Eastern time so I knew I couldn't sleep through that! I went down to the front desk to see if the room adjoining mine was available. Indeed it was and was offered to me at a reasonable rate. I took the room, opened the adjoining door and slept great while he toiled on his paper. The adjoining room's air conditioner was quiet. Indeed, I saw many service people wheeling in and out air conditioning units during my visit. I suspect that all loud air conditioners are being repaired to address the many comments about the loud air-conditioning units in this hotel.

Another observation is that the bathrooms have a half-glass wall instead of a shower curtain in the showers (no bathtubs just showers) like one finds in Europe. Be aware that if you do not turn the shower head toward the wall of the shower, your bathroom will be flooded and become slippery. Make sure you put the bath towel rug down by the shower before showering and direct the shower head toward the wall with the soaps.

Restaurants and Pool: What great amenities these are. One late afternoon I found that I had a couple of hours to myself. I went to the pool which was lovely with comfortable cushioned chase lounges and sofas around a nicely sized pool. Imagine my delight as I settled in to enjoy the sun and a good book when a waitress from Tapacubo (one of the restaurants at The Graduate) came to my chair with a menu and a big glass of ice water. "Would you like anything today?" she said. "Yes Please!" I replied. I had not had time for lunch that day and my son did not have time for dinner until 8:00 p.m. (I believe I mentioned that I was on East Coast time!) I ordered a wonderful cocktail and two of the best street tacos I have ever enjoyed. They were small (3 inch diameter) homemade corn tortillas served with familiar but imaginative toppings. The Papi was the best with carnitas and other toppings including pomegranate seeds. At $3.00 a piece, it was a great snack as I waited to take my son to dinner. Delicious. I brought my son and his roommates back another night and they loved these snacks as well as the Brown Bag Churros with salted caramel sauce. The Churros melt in your mouth!

The Normal Diner offered delicious takes on standard diner breakfast fare. I come from the land of diners (New Jersey) and I know diners! The Brioche french toast rivals our local challah french toast anytime. A great option for a hearty breakfast before setting out on our business of the day.

Walk/Bike/Drive/Shuttle: The Graduate is situated directly across from Gammage Auditorium on Apache at the southwest corner of the ASU campus. It is a very short walk from this hotel to the Memorial Union. This hotel is a great choice for families traveling to ASU for orientation as the walk is very short to the places you need to be. It is also a reasonable walk to all the action on Mill Avenue. If you feel that walk is too long, the hotel offers bicycles or shuttle service to Mill Avenue and other locations within 3 miles of the hotel and, I believe, to the airport. For me, it was a short 15 minute drive to the airport with my rental car.

Staff: The staff here were flawless, helpful and kind. They offered the kind of service one would expect at a boutique hotel, which this hotel is.

Overall, I loved this hotel! It was fun, quirky, classy and luxurious. It offered the comforts of home but but provided a respite from home with its unusual, interesting theme. I am returning on Wednesday to move my son out of his dorm. I can't wait!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the ASU campus.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Trent C, General Manager at Graduate Tempe, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review! We appreciate the comments and are so glad to hear you enjoyed our unique, vintage vibe, delicious food, and proximity to ASU here at the Graduate Tempe! You are correct that we are in the process of replacing any of the remaining loud A/C units. If you encounter this problem on your return stay please notify our front desk, as we want all of our guests to get an excellent night's sleep in our cozy beds. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Trent Collicott

--Graduate Tempe is a part of a well-curated, well-crafted collection of hotels that reside in the most dynamic university towns across the country—
Stow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel was great and I loved the theme and how it was decorated. However we couldn't get a good night's sleep because the air conditioner was so loud and if we turned it off the room was too hot. This caused our stay to not be very good.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry that the air conditioner negatively impacted your sleep and will be having engineering look into the issue. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again in the future. I’m confident we will have greatly improved on this experience.

Green Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

What a fun place this is, so glad we were able to stay here. It's got a retro look, with lots of fun touches like room key cards done as student photo IDs, with some hilarious photos. There's a pool out back, a bar, a Mexican street-food style restaurant - and sometimes they have pop-up street trucks, thanks to a clever design that opens up part of the restaurant to them.

Breakfast at the Diner next door was phenomenal. I'd like to have stayed all week and tried a different dish every day. Excellent. We'll be looking for other Graduate hotels when visiting other college towns and cities.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor at the back, which gives a really nice view over lots of trees, which was s...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this glowing review! We appreciate the comments and are so glad to hear you enjoyed our attention to detail and delicious dining options here at the Graduate Tempe! We hope to see you again next time you are in the Tempe area.

Louisville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great retro atmosphere. Clean and well maintain facilities. Very friendly and helpful staff. Perfect location for ASU visits. After multiple stays at another Tempe hotel, I will be returning to The Graduate on my next visit to Tempe.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to write this awesome review! We appreciate the comments and are so glad to hear you enjoyed yourself at the Graduate Tempe! We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town.

Lompoc, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The transformation from the Twin Palms to the Graduate is phenomenal. We loved the early Ariz. decor blended with the modern upgrades. Our room was quiet with a great view of ASU. The staff was friendly and easily accommodated our early check-in. In past stays we found Ms. Pat Warren to be greatly helpful because of her knowledge of Tempe and surrounding cities. We asked to speak with her on this trip and, again, she cheerfully made recommendations from her personal familiarity with the area. We ate breakfast in The Normal Diner (attached to the hotel) and were pleased with the eclectic menu and quality of the food. We'll be back.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write this excellent review! We appreciate the comments and are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our renovated property and helpful staff! We hope to see you again next time you are in the Tempe area.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great location for visitors to ASU and Tempe. Boutique style hotel and cool decor and rooms. Free shuttle service airport and into town area. Very polite and helpful staff in place. Pool nice and taco type bar o premises had excellent food and staff and cold beer. Lol. All right there on premises. Normal Diner is very nice and interesting menu. Front of the house a little slow and off best, but menu was very interesting and excellent food.
We willbe back.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review! We appreciate the comments and are so glad to hear you enjoyed our unique vibe and delicious food here at the Graduate Tempe! We hope to see you again next time you are in the Tempe area.

Trent Collicott

Been to Graduate Tempe? Share your experiences!