“Really Awful!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 46 Hotels in Tempe
Mission Viejo, California
“Really Awful!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The hotel is in a great location next to ASU. Unfortunately, the rooms are run down and haven't been updated in years; many, many years. It feels unclean. The worst part though is how unfriendly the staff is. Upon arrival, instead of a welcome all the girl at the front desk said was "what's your last name?" I felt like we were bothering her by being there. We were unable to get into the pool area. When we asked another girl at the front desk about using the pool she just told us she wasn't sure if the pool was open. She also wasn't sure where the fire exit was either. Not too much help.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Was put up at this hotel by US Airways after a mechanical delay on my flight. The hotel is nothing but a pay by the hour hole. The walls of the room are stripped bare of wallpaper and paint and have a popcorn texture. Furnishings are 80's and torn and tattered. The bath tub was peeling as was the paint from the ceiling. This hotel was unclean and the rooms so disgusting that we didn't sleep in the bed or use the shower. US Airways should be ashamed to send people to that hotel and the owners should be ashamed to charge for such disgusting accommodations.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Sandpoint, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I want to be fair minded about Twin Palms. Some reviewers touted this hotel as unique & with an accommodating staff. I should have been more skeptical. This is an older hotel with a minimally accommodating front desk. The van driver said (upon our arrival)" The building is going to be completely renovated next year". I can say....it needs it. Valiant attempts have been made to modernize the rooms...but the bare bones of yesteryear are still there. Here are some things about Twin Palms that are excellent:(1) Its location (ASU is across the street) (2) The 24 hour IHOP is right next door. (3)Free city bus service to restaurants, galleries, light rail, just about anywhere is a matter of crossing the street. (4)The rooms are extremely quiet. We wondered if we were the only folks staying there. (5)The room was as advertised: king sized. Be forewarned that van service is very minimal. The front desk will point you toward the bus line. The airport-run is about all they will do no matter what others have previously said . Each room has a balcony...but our door to it was nearly impossible to pry open. As to the the pool,it's as old as the hotel and looks none too clean. Twin Palms would be a good choice for those attending an ASU conference or a Parents' Weekend...but look elsewhere for a vacation stay...unless of course the proposed renovation takes place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a rail balcony. The cement ones offer no view and no air circulation.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

So on the upside the bed was comfortable and it is well-situated for ASU.
On the downside the rooms were bizarre - like student accommodation with a dining table, a microwave and a fridge, decor was full-on 1970s with a frankly quite terrifying pulled paint effect all over the bathroom. The patio doors didn't open/lock properly, the handbasin in the bathroom didn't drain (at all) despite me raising it every morning of my stay. The WiFi was very expensive and hugely unreliable with a terrible signal. The hotel has a small bar but doesn't have a restaurant so you have to go to the 24hour diner next door (which actually is a great place).
Give it a miss.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Pat W, General Manager at Twin Palms Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
You are not the only one that has reminded us how much we've needed a renovation. And I happy to announce that it will be in full swing by this summer! I hope you will give us another try this fall when everything will be fresh & new.

Always feel welcome to come in and talk with me personally regarding your time as our guest.

Pat Warren G.M.
Burbank, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Had a reservation booked through Booking.com. No reservation on arrival. Desk clerk did not tell me whether or not they even had rooms, since this is Spring Training, but apparently the hotel is running low occupancy.
Room very tired. Food (smelly) in refrigerator left from prior guest. Two queen beds, different thicknesses - different generation of bed.
Air conditioning - makes an on/off noise - the worst I've ever heard and I travel every week.
I normally stay at Hyatt Place Mesa - I'll go back there next month - they were sold out tonight.
I was told the hotel will close in the summer for a complete renovation - about ten years overdue.

Room Tip: Try Hyatt Place Mesa instead, or any other local hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Merced, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Due to airline cancellations I had to unexpectedly drive 5 hours to Phoenix to make my connection. Skinner was on the desk that night and, in addition to arranging my airport transportation and smoothly checking me in, took the time to chat with me awhile. That really soothed me after a bad day. I had the opportunity to observe him during the time we spoke while he took care of several other guests, airport calls, and phone calls in an efficient and professional manner. He was very courteous to everyone I saw him deal with. Pleasant after a bad day.
It was also nice having an IHOP right outside the hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Traveling sometimes does become stressful. We are so happy that we were able to take some of that stress away.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know we did a good job.

Pat Warren

General manager
Tampa, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Ok so I had to find somewhere to stay last day deals. The concierge or front desk man I believe his name is Keenan, offered to help me with my luggage. Watched my cat in the cage while I had a meeting, gave me a courtesy call as I ask for breakfast so I had no delays. I can safetly say this is such a great difference in customer service compared to the norm! I would highly recommend this hotel as the stay was calming and not too over priced. Most importantly my kitty and I flew back with ease and a good nights rest!! Thank you Twin Palms i'll be sure to return!

Room Tip: I would say get the suite, your not paying much for it but its a big difference.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Twin Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!