“Great Place - But Terrible Smell” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Place - But Terrible Smell”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The staff were friendly and the breakfast area was clean, the food ample and hot.

Our room (441) and the floor in general had the nastiest of chemical smells. It's like they had carpet glue or something that was just used somewhere. It was not pleasant to breathe all night. Thankfully, we could open the window a little.

Room Tip: Before you plunk down the money your stay, go see the room and make sure the air is decent.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BWT03144, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your positive comment on our hotel.
We apologize that we were refinishing some bathtubs
during your stay and there was an offensive odor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I was very pleased with the staff, my room and the breakfast in the morning. I even topped my oatmeal off with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Also, the coffee was delicious! This hotel represents a great value! I am saving about $30 per night from where I usually stay by PHX and not don't feel like I'm missing a thing. I found out that they offer an airport shuttle every hour on the hour. Also, you can park your car there while you're away! I plan on taking advantage of this feature in the future. I live in Tucson and sometimes take an early AM flight out of PHX. Not worth getting up so early when you can stay at the Best Western Plus- Tempe by the Mall instead and have them drop you off at the terminal. Hotels like this are making me think of the "Best Western" brand now when I decide on hotels in other cities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
BWT03144, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Superior customer care includes keeping our hotel ultra clean for all our guests.
Thank you for recognizing that we are doing that for all our guests.
Our staff appreciates your comments.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel exceeded my expectations. I've only stayed at a Best Western once previously and swore off the brand. However, having been sent here for work I didn't have a say in my hotel. What a pleasant surprise. The drivers and front desk staff were so polite and professional. The room itself had newer furniture and a huge tv. The wallpaper and carpet were the only things that betrayed the fact this wasn't a more upscale brand. A really great thing was a variety of pillows, I loved that.

The breakfast hot items changed daily. Every evening there were cookies. On the second floor was an area that had a small library which was a lovely touch. The exercise room didn't have a huge variety but the equipment seemed newer and served its purpose. The mall is about a 5 minute walk, but they also run the shuttle to and from.

I honestly cannot find a fault with this hotel. They have done an exceptional job there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
BWT03144, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
We are very happy that we exceeded your expectations
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed Oct 1-3

On arrival at Sky Harbour Int’l Airport, please CALL the hotel and they’ll send a shuttle for you.

Check in was quick with Dianna (in charge) assisted by an enthusiastic Fernanda.

I was too tired to pay too much attention to what Dianna said, but recall she mentioned good eatin’ at a restaurant called ‘garcia’ in the nearby Arizona Mills Mall. I planned to visit that outlet mall on my first day in town so thought ‘great, eat there’.

And I was not disappointed. There are many places to eat in the Arizona Mills Mall and without guidance one can easily eat poorly. The food at Garcia was excellent value: quesadilla with chicken and a Dr Pepper for $12! And it was as good as Mexican food one can find in say New York City.

The hotel room is very good. There is a lap tray table so you can surf online while in bed without balancing your computer on your lap. Internet in the room is free and without the gawd awful login/password two step that most hotels require. Here you just plug in and surf away!

The room is spacious and the bed outstanding. In case you missed it: outstanding.

I have NOT slept this good in years! The bathroom is well-appointed, good water pressure and (unlike many hotels) a shoeshine sponge is available. What was lacking however are cotton buds.

Laundry is available (coin op) in the lobby.

B/fast – hard-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, toast, bagel, cereal & juices are all good.

An internet terminal in the front lobby is available and requires your room key to activate it. I logged on, surfed and left, forgetting my key inside the slot used to fire up the terminal. I realized this only when I returned to my room a few hours later and couldn’t find my key. Luckily the plastic keys are coded and not numbered so there was little chance of theft from my room.

There is a pool at the hotel but I didn't use it, so cannot comment.

The hotel is called ‘by the mall’ but is really a good 20 min walk and in the heat that is not what I recommend. The hotel offers a free shuttle to/from the mall and to/from the airport. Note while the shuttles leave on the hour for both the mall and the airport, you MUST book them at least 30 mins ahead as the driver is also a maintenance employee of the hotel and needs to arrange his schedule.

If you have a car then getting to/from everywhere in Tempe or nearby Phoenix and Scottsdale is a piece of pie. If like me you’re like me, an e Australian (or for that matter from any Commonwealth country) you may hesitate about driving on “the wrong side of the road”. In this case you have two options: (a) cabs or (b) public transport.

With respect to cabs, note there are two main companies: APACHE and YELLOW CABS. The former being cheaper. But in both cases you must call ahead and book. They do not scour the streets looking for customers.
If you’re into public transport note that Tempe/Phoenix is huge. Think of Los Angeles. Now think bigger.

The city is aid out in a grid: with roads going north south and east west. Buses travel along the grid: i.e. north south or east west. If you want to travel across the grid then either change buses or take the Metro Light Rail. The best way to plan public transport rides is at http://www.valleymetro.org/
but note that using public transport is VERY frustrating and time consuming. Sadly buses north-south do not connect with the east-west buses in a timely manner.

I chose the hotel because of the many favourable reviews on tripadvisor. It was even mentioned as Phoenix/Tempe’s #1 hotel. In my experience it deserves recognition as outstanding good value for money. Many thanks to Diane and Shayna, both on the front desk of what surely is Tempe’s #1 hotel!

And while you’re there visit the Desert Botanical Gardens (dbg.org). By car it’s a so easy. Exit the property, turn left onto Priest Drive, drive north and never get off it. In 20 mins you’ll see a turn off for the Phoenix Zoo, do not turn right towards the Zoo instead keep driving ahead and the DBG is 2 mins away. Give yourself 2 hrs minimum there. Cost $18 plus $3.50 for the Butterfly exhibit. The latter was not worth the price of admission. There was perhaps 2 types of butterflies to see and one of them was visible outside the ‘special’ exhibit.

Please take a hat AND water. When I was there I saw one vending machine and it was out of order. I was told – as I exited – that there were a few others in working order, but I never saw them.

Memo to the management and staff of the BW Tempe By the Mall: you sure know how to run a fine hotel. And I'll be back. Count on it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your very positive comments.
We do care about all our guests
Cobourg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed twice at this hotel last March on our way to Tuscon, having landed late on the outward trip and needing to leave very early when we were homeward bound. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and, although it was pretty crowded at breakfast, we were able to find a table outside in quite a pleasant temperature. It is very convenient to the airport and there's a Joe's Crab Shack just a five minute walk away. I would not hesitate to stop there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
BWT03144, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you for your brief stay.
We appreciate your positive comments on our location.
Wappingers Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Very nice pool and hot tub
Hot breakfast that was complimentary was excellent. Elliot at front desk was pleasant, helpful, excellent service.short ride to the airport. Would not hesitate to stay there again

• Stayed September 2012
BWT03144, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your kind words of praise for our property and shuttle service
austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed at the hotel using Best Western Points. We were disappointed with the room, I fined the curtains myself since they did not work. We had a pool side room and were woke up at 2:15 am by people in the pool.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room near the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BWT03144, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Our pool closes at 10PM. We are sorry that you experienced
noise after that hour.because of unathorized use.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Tempe by the Mall? Share your experiences!