“A rather motelly experience...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #24 of 46 hotels in Tempe
Bern, Switzerland
“A rather motelly experience...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

There were good and not so good aspects to my 5 day stay.

Good:
Staff were friendly and helpful;
The rooms were very big, the bed comfortable
The free shuttle to and from the airport
The nice warm pool
Cleanliness
Two computers with internet access that guests could use

Not so good:
I was here 5 days and room supplies were not routinely replenished. For example, there was a coffee machine in the room, but on some days I was not supplied with fresh paper cups, on others no new sachets of coffee and tea. I fetched these, but when the room was cleaned, this wasn't routinely done.
Breakfast, although nominally 'free', was very basic and the poor staff had trouble coping with the crowds and the indoor breakfast seating area wasn't big enough to hold everyone having breakfast. During weekdays, there was a very jolly chap frying eggs and omelettes, but this was no available at weekends. The 'hot' food provided otherwise was often not hot; the fried potatoes were limp on every day I was there, the pancakes rather rubbery. And if you arrived within half an hour of the end of breakfast, items often had run out and no more were available.
I had had to book my room in two parts. For some reason I was only allocated Frequent stayer points for one of the two parts, and my request for a late credit of the missing points was declined.
Outside my room, the ice machine regularly dumped a large amount of built-up ice, right through the night, so loudly that it often woke me up.
Very thin walls between rooms - I was regularly woken up by guests talking outside who were returning late and by an amorous couple in the room next door...

On the whole this hotel was fine and clean, but I don't think it lived up to the expectations of the Sheraton name, nor was the price ($125 plus nearly $18 tax per night) good value for money, given the location. Guests without a car are pretty stuck for *decent* places to eat in the neighbourhood (though there are all the usual burger and fast food joints within half a mile)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jason M, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Tempe, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a survey regarding your stay. I apologize the hotel did not meet your expectation. We recently added the free cook to order hot breakfast are are currently reviewing the feedback provided from out guests. Detailed comments like yours can only help us in that area and we appreciate you taking the time to mention a few areas that we can excel in to make it a better experience for ALL our guests.

Thanks
Jason

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Detroit, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

After reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, I was hesitant to stay here, but friends had already booked the rooms. I was pleasantly surprised! The hotel is clean and the staff is very helpful. The one icky thing that stood out to all of us were the linens - the sheets were hard and pilly and the towels were hard and gray. They reminded me of old gym towels! Definitely time to update the linens and bedding! There are a lot of young adults staying here (I'm assuming due to its proximity to ASU) so there were a lot of loud voices and doors slamming at all hours of the night. I'm aware that isn't the hotel's fault.
The front desk staff recommended excellent restaurants for us to try and were very helpful with the free shuttle bus. I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Jason M, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Tempe, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate you feedback and I will be sharing the results with the entire team. I look forward to sharing the comments regarding the team. We always enjoy hearing when a guest has such a positive experience with us. Thank you again!!!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I like the clean and simple design elements of the typical Four Points - This one works to that strength. Check-in process was quick and easy. The room was well maintained and calm. Parking space was plenty.Location is good and driving to any place in Tempe/Chandler/Mesa/Scottsdale is not a big challenge. And it is a good economical choice too!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Just a quick note to say thank you for the wonderful review. We appreciate you highlighting the value of our urban location to the entire valley area. We pride ourselves on trying to meet all our guest expectations. Thank you again for the review.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This hotel is my home away from home when I visit my daughter at Arizona State. Very comfortable and the staff is very attentive. Good breakfast. Nice big pool and walking distance to campus. Highly recommend!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the outstanding review. We love to hear when our guests continue to have exceptional visits and feel they are part of our team. We thank you for your loyalty to our hotel and look forward to many continous stays while your daughter attends ASU.

Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Excellent hotel, free shuttle to airport and local drop off within 5 miles of hotel. Next to light rail ad ASU campus. Near spring training baseball. Free high level complimentary breakfast. The strength of this hotel is their friendly and customer oriented staff. They are always helpful with a big smile. Hank Bell, and Josh Flores are exceptional staff members who remember your name, and go out of their way to make your staff enjoyable. Thank you Sheraton four points in Tempe AZ. I would definitely stay there again. AAAAA plus.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the positive review. I look forward to sharing your comments with Josh and Hank (they are two of kind :) )!! I will be sure to share this review with the entire team. Comments like these are a great reminder to us in the hospitality business.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We have been staying at the Four Points for the past 5 years, at least twice a year. This used to be such a nice hotel. However, our last stay has us vowing to not come back.

The location is great. You are practically right on ASU's campus - so that is where the majority of the draw comes from. The pool is also nice.

Our last visit was less than appealing. Our room was dated and dingy. The air conditioner really didn't regulate our room temperature, so we went from freezing to sweating multiple times throughout the night. The hotel was also extrememly loud. We heard all of our neighbors.

The hallways appeared as if they were under some sort of construction project and were a total disaster, with plaster all over the carpeting & plastic on the floors. We stayed 5 nights and never saw anyone working on them...

Spend the extra $10-20 a night at stay at a nicer hotel nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
White Plains, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had a devastating robbery occur while staying at the Four Points by Sheraton Tempe. The hotel did not provide adequate security and admitted so. We were relocating to the area and were staying in the hotel for one week while our apartment was being prepared. ALL of our belongings were stolen. The thieves used a cell phone app to unlock our room. The hotel had prior knowledge of similar crimes in the area and chose not to install a simple fix to remedy to faulty locks. Now, they are trying to cheat us by offering us less than 20% of the cost of our belongings as a settlement. Shame on them! Luckily, nobody was in the room when the thieves entered the room or this could have been a much more serious issue. Don't let the terrible management of this hotel ruin your stay in Tempe - go elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Tempe? Share your experiences!