“Amazing staff but a bit worn.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Tempe
Portland
“Amazing staff but a bit worn.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was our first stay at the Four Points Tempe and I must say, the service at this property was superior to any we've experienced and we're frequent travellers. It's also in close proximity to various restaurants, as well as the ASU campus.

Our flight was very early so we arrived at around 10am and they were more than happy to check us in. Our room was on the 4th floor, which is the Starwood Preferred level and upon entering it, we noticed that the carpeting had huge wrinkles, as if it weren't pulled tightly before being fastened to the floor. We found this to be no big deal but it could have been a potential tripping hazard. We didn't pay attention to the view but when we returned after dark, we realized we were facing a construction sight and while it was evening, they were working. My husband didn't wish to be awakened by the pounding for the next four days so he called and requested an alternate room. The Desk Agent couldn't have been nicer as she advised us we could move but the room would have two queen beds, as opposed to one king. She sent the Bellman up immediately with keys to a room down the hall. The moment we walked into the new room, we noticed an overwhelming musty/moldy smell. The Bellman called the front desk and escorted us to yet another room. This one had sliding doors to no balcony but we were okay with that. The furniture was also configured in the strangest way, with a reclining chair wedged between one of the beds and the wall, with the end table sitting on top of it! Once the Bellman left, we rearranged the luggage table and desk, in order to free the chair and table.

The building is old and while the lobby area is updated, the elevators, hallways and rooms are 'tired'. Our room was clean and the bed comfortable but it was sort of a mix between beat up old furniture and fresh paint, with new curtains and bedding. Housekeeping did a great job so it was clean.

One thing we noticed continually, was a strong smell of cigarette smoke on our floor. Not old smoke from the past but guests smoking in their rooms. When we inquired at the front desk, we were told that absolutely no smoking is allowed but it continued throughout our stay. Perhaps a no-smoking fine could be charged to guests who break this rule?

We used the shuttle from/to the airport, as well as down to Mill Avenue for the football game and all of the drivers were so very nice.

I used the pool and it was very nice and clean. We had drinks at the lobby bar and the service was outstanding. We didn't eat at the restaurant but they serve a breakfast buffet for $10, which looked quite good.

We so wanted to love this hotel for the service alone. The entire staff was competent, friendly and clearly go out of their way to accomodate each and every guest! The rooms however, are hit and miss and in a sold out situation, one could be stuck in a musty room. Hopefully, the plan is to update the rest of the building to match the lobby.

Special thanks to Peyton, Gabe, Chris and Holly. :-)

Room Tip: Just make sure to examine your room upon checkin.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our stay was very relaxing and enjoyable. The entire staff went out of their way especially Analycia Villar. Analycia was so friendly and made us feel so welcome. She was also very helpful in suggessting places to visit. The breakfast was excellent especially the french toast. The check-in and out was fast and easy. The shuttle took us right up to the stadium for the ASU vs Oregon football game. Only complaint was we had to come home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cleburne, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The location was wonderful, the room was nice and clean. The check-in process was great, the desk clerk was extremely friendly and the process was painless. The location was wonderful, a wide variety of eateries and a grocery store right around the corner. I did have a bad experience upon check-out, but upon learning of this, management contacted me and did everything they could to make it right. I was VERY impressed by the Assistant General Manager who called me regarding my complaint.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Walking distance from ASU, close to the airport. Typical Four Points in terms of room quality, comfortable, clean and good for the price. Wonderful open bar and lobby with big tables that encourage conversation. Large screen TV's and great swimming pool area add to the ambience. I hosted my ASU freshman and 5 of her friends one night this week. We all ate at one of the big tables and spent some time in the pool. Food was surprisingly good The best thing about this property is the sincere friendliness of everyone you come in contact with. They appreciate your business and want you to have a good experience. Perfect location for business in Tempe, Chandler and Gilbert and of course ASU visits.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have stayed here three times during visits to my son at ASU. Perfect location, wonderful friendly staff, great breakfast for only $10 per person, very nice bar. The only thing lacking is late night food and the vending snacks are ridiculously expensive so you need to buy snacks for your room for late at night. Took a friend of my son's out for dinner and had him meet us at the bar first and it was lovely. I highly recommend this hotel for visiting parents or even business travelers. Close to everything. I was sad when my son graduated as I wouldnt be staying here anymore!

Room Tip: My room has always ioverlooked the pool and there is a little balcony you can sit on. But they als...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Tom K, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Tempe, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
It's great to hear all the nice things you have to say about our hotel. I will be sure to let all of our staff know. We're pleased you enjoyed our breakfast buffet, perfect location, friendly staff, and the relaxing, comfortable bar in the lobby. We will re-evaluate our pricing of our Grab and Go snack items and adust accordingly. Thanks for bringing it up.
We are very glad that your son graduated but are saddened that we will not have as many opportunities to serve. Please, don't be a stranger! We all hope to see you soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel MANY times over the past 4 years but something BAD has happened. This hotel was once immaculate,...not anymore. The entire operation is TERRIBLE !!!! I found hairs in my bed and when they were unable to change the sheets, pillowcases or rectify the problem, They said they are unable to get into the housekeeping room after 9 PM. No one ever called me back or came to my room after I informed them of the problem. They were NOT interested in solving my problem (THEIR lack of cleanliness) they were only interested in avoiding me and hiding from it, hoping it would go away and when I insisted, they offered me some points. I ONLY wanted a clean room.I had to leave and go to another hotel (ALOFT) nearby. Clean, fresh, newer, and a respectful, caring staff. I WOULD NOT STAY AT THE FOUR POINTS TEMPE FOR FREE!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel or FULLY inspect the room prior to check-in.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I assure you that the circumstances you encountered on your last visit are not usual and customary occurrences. I have personally met with our Rooms Division Manager and our Housekeeping Manager to ensure that the unsatisfactory conditions you experienced will not happen again.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your recent experience. It was very unfortunate to hear that the cleanliness of your room was not up to proper standards. On behalf of the hotel, I apologize. It is only through guest feedback that we at the Four Points by Sheraton Tempe are able to make improvements that will better our service. I hope this isolated incident does not prevent us from serving you again.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is not fancy, but it is perfect for short stays by parents of ASU students. It is walking distance from the ASU campus. It is clean, and the hotel staff is very friendly. I have stayed here four times now, and I have enjoyed each one of my stays. I do not had any complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tom K, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Tempe, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding how clean our hotel is and how friendly the staff are. We understand how important these things are to the traveler and we work very hard to achieve them on a consistent basis. I be sure to share your feelings with the staff. They will be very happy to hear thier efforts are recognized. Thank you for your continued patronage and we all look forward to our next opportunity to serve you. Hope to see you again soon!

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Tempe? Share your experiences!