“Fun place in Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Henderson, Nevada
“Fun place in Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Not the easiest place to find in Surprise, but worth the effort. Small inside area and a small outside eating area (if you like views of the parking lot). Food was good and the portions were generous. Service was spot-on. We were treated well and staff was very attentive and courteous. The only disappointing thing was the lack of a wine offering (though we were told we could BYOB, but then noticed the $3/person charge for a glass. Thought that was interesting instead of a corkage fee.). Would definitely pay a return visit if we are ever in Surprise again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Surprise, Arizona
“An unfortunate slide downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Good restaurants are few and far between in NW Phoenix. Three years ago Amuse Bouche was close, and a bright spot, despite it's plain Jane ambience in a strip mall not far from my home. Their weekend brunch was good for taking Mom out to eat. The dinners were too pricey for us, so this leaves lunch. Just came back from lunch with Mom. Sigh... It's as if the chef has made these meals 10,000 times and has just lost all heart for the job. They seem to be making food in their sleep. Not bad exactly, just the same menu, some of which should have been tweaked long ago. Mom and I ordered the quiche Lorraine, which comes with a salad of mixed greens and some almond slivers. The quiche is light and fluffy: pretty simple mix of eggs, bacon, and pastry crust. The "salad" was generous, but seemed like an afterthought. You have to pay $1.00 if you want blue cheese. You'd think a good restaurant could at least add a few ripe cherry tomatoes for color and contrast. It was dripping in a creamy dressing of some kind that wasn't bad, but certainly drowned the spring mix. My partner had the hamburger. $12 served almost raw with huge buns..not the best for people who limit their bread intake. Only lettuce inside. It was accompanied by a massive quantity of french fries, the waitress said were great and I thought were mediocre...possibly needing better potatoes. With two ice teas and tip it was about $43 for three. Just disappointing. Lots of people near us liked the food. We do have high standards. I wish they would redo the menu, be a little more health savvy, and pay more attention to the presentation. They were a joy to visit, but no longer.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“eek... not !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I've eaten there twice now since the place is literally 5 minutes from my house and I am so tired of chain-restaurants, which is all we seem to have here. The first time I went for lunch and had the cabernet burger. The wait was long and the waitstaff not too friendly but for lunch, that didn't bother me much. I did get a bad stomach ache after eating, my guess was that the burger was too heavy with too much cheese-sauce etc (disclaimer: I try to eat fresh and light, dairy free food as on a daily basis so I probably have a lower tolerance than most on the rare occasion that I do indulge). The burger did taste very good but it was pricey. Last night my husband and I went for dinner. I called ahead and requested a table against the back wall. The lady on the phone told me "she wasn't sure but she would see what she could do". Based on that, I was expecting to see a packed restaurant when I arrived, yet we were the only two couples in there (it was early, right after they opened). Since it's BYOB, we each brought a bottle of Chimay. It does look like a wine bottle (its beer), but the waitress' reaction was unexcusable. She said "okay, which one would you like me to open". My husband replied "both", to which she said "excuse me? Both at the same time?!?". Then she looked at the bottles closer and said "oh, it's beer, not wine. I was about to saayyyy..." What the H? I don't care if I bring in a case of wine to drink by myself, such an unprofessional reaction is inexcusable. It gets better. We ordered the pate for appetizer, which was good but too cold. I then asked her if I could swap out the side on the duck breast (bread pudding) for something else since I love duck but abhore bread pudding. Her response was "well, I'm not sure. I'll have to ask the chef if he agrees, he tends to get funny about that". Excuse me? If I happen to not like a side or am allergic to one, you're going to force me to eat it if the chef does not "agree" with my choices? I told her "well, he can either swap out the side dish and sell me a $28 duck, or I will have the $8 soup". She huffed away and came back saying "well, the reason he doesn't want to swap things out is because he orders only so many things for one night, but in this case he has agreed to do it". Wait a minute, you're telling me the chef only stocks so many potatoes based on what? How many people his crystall ball tell him will order it that night? Ridiculous! It soured the whole dining experience for me. Anyways, I ordered the duck medium well, it came out rare. My husband had the halibut and it was drenched in sauce. The "fresh" mashed potatoes were so runny (butter? milk? cream? not sure) they practically flowed off my plate. The duck was bland, I've had much much better in many places accross the valley. We ordered the chocolate pot au creme in an attempt to save the dinner and that fell flat too. I guess they tried to make it "dense and rich" which basically rendered it inedible. To top it off, both myhusband and I got sick (not throwing up sick but a bad stomach ache and lots of bloating about an hour after the dinner, second time for that) Now, full disclosure: I was born and raised in Belgium. I live for an occasional splurge of french food and I've eaten in many small places around the world that honor the french cuisine and work miracles with fresh and rare ingredients. This place does neither. The food is commercial, overcooked, bland and laced in butter and cream. The only thing french is the attitudes of the waitstaff and the chef, which they might want to drop given this is Surprise, AZ and not France and customers are used to choices and friendliness. This is NOT the wonderful experience that French cuisine can be. Go to Christopher's at the biltmore or Vogue Bistro and you will see what I mean

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Hmmmmmmm, what's the fuss?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Came here on Sunday for "brunch". Placed was busy...definitely make reservations. We had 11:00 resides, and were seated at 11:25. As the place is small, we sat outside. Service initially was slow, as it took us about 10 minutes to get coffee. Anyway, on to the food. I ordered the tomato, mushroom Swiss cheese crepe. Honestly, it tasted like canned tomatoes. I asked the server for jack cheese instead of Swiss. She seemed very reluctant, but she would ask. I guess it was too much to ask, as I got Swiss. I mean seriously, it's shredded cheese for crying out loud!
Our group also had the waffle and great tasting syrup, salmon Benedict...which looked fab! Toast was thick and looked good.

For me, their saving grace was the beneigts (sp?). They were very delish...better than the average rating I give the place.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
phoenix
“Great Food Everytime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Have been here a few times and they always deliver! The short ribs are great! The pasta and the pork chops are great! It's very small and in a strange location next to an ace hardware but don't let it fool you! Great quality food is what you will get!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere