“An unforgetable experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Havasu Falls Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Supai
Havasu Falls Campground
Havasu Canyon, P.O. Box 160, Supai, AZ 86435   |
Toronto, Canada
“An unforgetable experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

After reading several less than spectacular reviews on this site I had to pip in. Havasu Falls was to date the most unbelievable journey I've ever taken in my life!

Seven of us went as a group from our training studio in Canada, so we came prepared for several days of hiking, as we're all in good shape. We booked a tour guide ahead of time, which with the hotel in Flagstaff was pricy but more than worth it! (See Pygmy Tours)

The campground wasn't crowded while we were there - it actually felt empty and almost untouched. Everything was relatively clean, including the outhouses. We'd heard they'd just rebuilt several of the creeks/falls/pools as there was a mini-flood about 7 weeks prior. This gave the water time to clear up, and man was it amazing!

As a highly active person I was worried about not getting in enough nutrients, so I brought along several calorie dense snacks for the 10 mile hike to get to the campground. I wasn't expecting luxury, but as the guides brought along tons of tasty snacks to keep us energized, I felt well taken care of. I wasn't expecting to be graciously hosted by the townsfolk to say the least, so I didn't run into the same problems as others.. if you're going to do hiking in the wilderness it should be fairly obvious to do your homework when it comes to helicopters, credit vs cash, etc.. Having the guides made it very simple as they tell you what to do, where to go.

We also did a day hike of the Grandview Trail on the southeast rim, which was a great contrast given it's depth and immensity. All in all one fantastic getaway for one seeking adventure.

Planning is key for this kind of adventure, and I encourage anyone coming here to be up for a physical challenge. Be weary of bringing kids. It took us 2 connector flights to get to Flagstaff and back home but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2010

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

It falls were spectacular once you actually got there. I have to say that it was not worth it. I don't think I have EVER met a more unfriendly group of people in my life. For the ridiculous amount of money you're paying to stay there, they could at least be somewhat accomodating. The campground was very nice. The falls were beautiful. Getting in and out was iffy. We took the helicopter. HAVE CASH. The credit card machine was down, ya, right. We got to the village on the day we were leaving at 6:30 am. We flew out at 12:00 noon. The copter only flies on certain days between certain hours. The tribal members go first (this is ok with me, but be prepared). Make sure you do your research thoroughly before you go because you will get no information from the tribe folks and they will not help you in any way. Donkeys for gear need to also be reserved 24 hours prior to your trip including the horses. The website does not say this. The website also says you don't need riding experience. That is a downright lie. We were going to horse it out and were asked if we were experienced riders. We've been on horses and done trail rides, but not "experienced". We stayed one night and it was plenty. There is nothing else to do there but see the falls. There is a snack shop (no fresh fruit and no vegetables). The only food you can get is fried. If you decide to go, fly out early, stay a couple hours and fly back out. NEVER will I EVER go back there. The stress involved with it was not worth the beauty of the falls. Honestly. Thank goodness it was only two days of our Grand Canyon trip.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Campsite is sort of crowded and the outhouses were pretty bad, but I heard that they rebuilt them after the flood. Still its a great experience to a must see area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
san luis obispo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

The hike, the canyon and the falls rival anyplace on earth for sheer grandeur and beauty. On the other hand, the camping environment is forgettable (except when a helicopter swoops down to service the outhouse next to the one you are using!).

I visited Havasu Falls on the first weekend in June and over 400 people were inhabiting a campground built for a maximum of about 300. The overcrowding caused hygenic concerns and the large quantities of trash left behind by too many visitors degraded the overall experience. In my view, the camp litter problem is out of control and speaks to a lack of respect on the part of far too many visitors. WE CAN DO BETTER PEOPLE!

All in all, I would love to return and hope to do so someday. However, I would hope the Supai can find a way to balance their budget with fewer visitors or an expanded camp space in the future.

Stayed June 2008

Been to Havasu Falls Campground? Share your experiences!