“Absolutely Incredible” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Havasu Falls Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Supai
Havasu Falls Campground
Havasu Canyon, P.O. Box 160, Supai, AZ 86435   |
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Absolutely Incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I went with some friends two weeks ago, and it was perfect conditions. The water was warm, the nights were a little cool, but the temperature during the day was around 80. We visited Navajo, Havasu, Mooney, and Beaver Falls. Overall, we had an incredible trip. Here is a short video that highlights our experience. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPSyFptntE

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

my experience and the hike was awesome. I misjudged the hike and when we went down it took me almost six hours to get to the falls. i was tired and exhausted but the first time i looked at the falls all my strength returned back. The hotel seems like is always reserved so we had to camp and i ahve never camped before so i was under prepared for that too. the helicopters operate only on thursdays fridays, sunday and monday and i was getting out of the reservation on saturday so i had to get horses. i have never ever been on a horse and the people were nice enough to help me manage them. I actually thought the people were nice enough ( may be because i was expecting them to be down right rude- based on previous reviews). They showed me my way and whenever i greeted them , they greeted back ( what more would i want). i kept my questions to minimum and just enjoyed the nature rather than people. i do think that they should put more signs in the hiking trail because it seems never ending. coming back up the horses took four hours, they slowed a little because we were bad riders but still. Also i did not notice it said before, so i am point out that the trail seems a little sandy, so your feet go a little in the ground when walking, i thought it made the hike harder. But if you are planning to go, please do and enjoy your trip, make memories because you will be proud of it

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Casa Grande, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

For most people this is a once in a lifetime experience so do your homework, plan ahead and be prepared. We hiked to the campground carrying full backpacks. We arrived early in the afternoon and found a campsite right along the creek. It was beautiful! The setting is almost too beautiful for words. The red rock canyons rising up on both sides, the creek running through the campgrounds, a perfect view of the star filled sky through the top of the tent! And all of this just a short hike from some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world! Hiking with the backpack proved to be a little rough so we chose to send our packs out on the donkeys and do the return hike without them. That made a big difference! We planned to stop for breakfast at the cafe in Supai on the way out but, even though the signs advertised breakfast from 6am - 10am the cafe wasn't open at 7:30am. When I asked one of the locals what time the cafe opened he said "whenever they get ready". Fortunately the store was open and we were able to purchase breakfast items there.

Room Tip: Sites are first come first served to get there at early as possible.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

After reading several less than spectacular reviews on this site I had to pip in. Havasu Falls was to date the most unbelievable journey I've ever taken in my life!

Seven of us went as a group from our training studio in Canada, so we came prepared for several days of hiking, as we're all in good shape. We booked a tour guide ahead of time, which with the hotel in Flagstaff was pricy but more than worth it! (See Pygmy Tours)

The campground wasn't crowded while we were there - it actually felt empty and almost untouched. Everything was relatively clean, including the outhouses. We'd heard they'd just rebuilt several of the creeks/falls/pools as there was a mini-flood about 7 weeks prior. This gave the water time to clear up, and man was it amazing!

As a highly active person I was worried about not getting in enough nutrients, so I brought along several calorie dense snacks for the 10 mile hike to get to the campground. I wasn't expecting luxury, but as the guides brought along tons of tasty snacks to keep us energized, I felt well taken care of. I wasn't expecting to be graciously hosted by the townsfolk to say the least, so I didn't run into the same problems as others.. if you're going to do hiking in the wilderness it should be fairly obvious to do your homework when it comes to helicopters, credit vs cash, etc.. Having the guides made it very simple as they tell you what to do, where to go.

We also did a day hike of the Grandview Trail on the southeast rim, which was a great contrast given it's depth and immensity. All in all one fantastic getaway for one seeking adventure.

Planning is key for this kind of adventure, and I encourage anyone coming here to be up for a physical challenge. Be weary of bringing kids. It took us 2 connector flights to get to Flagstaff and back home but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2010
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

It falls were spectacular once you actually got there. I have to say that it was not worth it. I don't think I have EVER met a more unfriendly group of people in my life. For the ridiculous amount of money you're paying to stay there, they could at least be somewhat accomodating. The campground was very nice. The falls were beautiful. Getting in and out was iffy. We took the helicopter. HAVE CASH. The credit card machine was down, ya, right. We got to the village on the day we were leaving at 6:30 am. We flew out at 12:00 noon. The copter only flies on certain days between certain hours. The tribal members go first (this is ok with me, but be prepared). Make sure you do your research thoroughly before you go because you will get no information from the tribe folks and they will not help you in any way. Donkeys for gear need to also be reserved 24 hours prior to your trip including the horses. The website does not say this. The website also says you don't need riding experience. That is a downright lie. We were going to horse it out and were asked if we were experienced riders. We've been on horses and done trail rides, but not "experienced". We stayed one night and it was plenty. There is nothing else to do there but see the falls. There is a snack shop (no fresh fruit and no vegetables). The only food you can get is fried. If you decide to go, fly out early, stay a couple hours and fly back out. NEVER will I EVER go back there. The stress involved with it was not worth the beauty of the falls. Honestly. Thank goodness it was only two days of our Grand Canyon trip.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Campsite is sort of crowded and the outhouses were pretty bad, but I heard that they rebuilt them after the flood. Still its a great experience to a must see area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
san luis obispo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

The hike, the canyon and the falls rival anyplace on earth for sheer grandeur and beauty. On the other hand, the camping environment is forgettable (except when a helicopter swoops down to service the outhouse next to the one you are using!).

I visited Havasu Falls on the first weekend in June and over 400 people were inhabiting a campground built for a maximum of about 300. The overcrowding caused hygenic concerns and the large quantities of trash left behind by too many visitors degraded the overall experience. In my view, the camp litter problem is out of control and speaks to a lack of respect on the part of far too many visitors. WE CAN DO BETTER PEOPLE!

All in all, I would love to return and hope to do so someday. However, I would hope the Supai can find a way to balance their budget with fewer visitors or an expanded camp space in the future.

Stayed June 2008
Still looking for a hotel?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Supai
Havasupai Lodge 3.0 of 5 stars 97 reviews Havasupai Campsite 5.0 of 5 stars 1 reviews
View all 1 hotels in Supai, ranked by popularity

Been to Havasu Falls Campground? Share your experiences!